Shocking turn of events: Qantas boss Alan Joyce quits unexpectedly before retirement

Unexpectedly walking away before a grand farewell — that's how Alan Joyce, the long-standing Chief Executive of Qantas, has decided to end his tenure at the helm of Australia's largest airline.

The big news at Qantas this week is that Alan Joyce has abruptly resigned from his job, sending shockwaves throughout the Australian airline industry and leaving the fleet's passengers and employees surprised.

shutterstock_543095401.jpg
What is happening at Qantas? Image source: Shutterstock.

Joyce's tenure was marked by many ups and downs, but this surprising early exit has everyone in a flap. And here's why.

The Qantas CEO has been walking a tightrope of public criticism following a series of questionable decisions and controversies, and these seem to have culminated in an unexpected climax.

Qantas found itself in hot water after it posted a $2.5 billion profit last week, which raised quite a few eyebrows considering the airline received a handsome $2.7 billion in government COVID handouts.

Additionally, Joyce's role in the government's decision to block Qatar Airways from adding more Australian flights to its schedule was also under the microscope. Competitors challenged this move, alleging it had pumped up Australian air travel fares by an estimated 40 per cent, which, as you can imagine, is quite a hit to the average Aussie traveller’s wallet.

In a twist of turbulence, Qantas now faces legal action from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) over selling tickets for already-cancelled flights and disallowing refunds for customers whose trips were ruined due to COVID-19.

Joyce's unexpected exit, rather than walking the fiery path till his planned exit in November, has now shifted the pilot seat to the incoming CEO, Vanessa Hudson, starting her tenure this Wednesday, September 10.

Moving the retirement timeline to now, Joyce has stated, 'In the last few weeks, the focus on Qantas and events of the past make it clear to me that the company needs to move ahead with its renewal as a priority.'

'The best thing I can do under these circumstances is to bring forward my retirement and hand over to Vanessa and the new management team now, knowing they will do an excellent job.’

'There is a lot I am proud of over my 22 years at Qantas, including the past 15 years as CEO.’

'There have been many ups and downs, and there is clearly much work still to be done, especially to make sure we always deliver for our customers.’

'But I leave knowing that the company is fundamentally strong and has a bright future.'

Undoubtedly, Joyce’s decision adds another layer to the existing turbulence. Speculation feeds into speculation when a key figure at such a significant corporation makes such a dramatic exit.

Joyce used to be the highest-paid CEO in Australia, raking in $23.9 million in 2018. His golden handshake was set to be a cushy $24 million, a sum that would have softened the transition into retirement.

He recently sold more than 80 per cent of his stake in Qantas, offloading 2.5 million shares for a sum of $17 million. Considering the recent fall in Qantas shares, this move saved Joyce from potential losses.

As the dust settles over Joyce's sudden departure, his successor, Vanessa Hudson, is now the ‘captain at the helm’. Acting in her capacity as the incoming CEO, Hudson will have to address the pressing issues at Qantas and quickly gain the confidence of both the public and shareholders.

Key Takeaways
  • Qantas Chief Executive, Alan Joyce abruptly quit his position months prior to his planned retirement in November.
  • The airline has been under increased scrutiny since its recent profit announcement and a government decision regarding Qatar Airways, causing Qantas shares to fall.
  • Joyce handed the reigns to the incoming CEO, Vanessa Hudson, who will begin the role on Wednesday.
  • The airline is facing legal action over allegations that it sold tickets for flights that were already cancelled and is facing backlash from customers regarding payments not returned for cancelled flights.

So, members, stay tuned for more updates on this surprise shake-up at Qantas. We might not dwell on corporate comings and goings much, but when it affects Australians and their money, it certainly gets our engines going! We’re keenly watching Vanessa Hudson’s journey. Let’s hope she brings some calm and resolves the current turbulence at Qantas!

Let us know what you think of this story, members? We would love to get your thoughts in the comment section below.

Sponsored
Unexpectedly walking away before a grand farewell — that's how Alan Joyce, the long-standing Chief Executive of Qantas, has decided to end his tenure at the helm of Australia's largest airline.

The big news at Qantas this week is that Alan Joyce has abruptly resigned from his job, sending shockwaves throughout the Australian airline industry and leaving the fleet's passengers and employees surprised.

View attachment 29099

Joyce's tenure was marked by many ups and downs, but this surprising early exit has everyone in a flap. And here's why.

The Qantas CEO has been walking a tightrope of public criticism following a series of questionable decisions and controversies, and these seem to have culminated in an unexpected climax.

Qantas found itself in hot water after it posted a $2.5 billion profit last week, which raised quite a few eyebrows considering the airline received a handsome $2.7 billion in government COVID handouts.

Additionally, Joyce's role in the government's decision to block Qatar Airways from adding more Australian flights to its schedule was also under the microscope. Competitors challenged this move, alleging it had pumped up Australian air travel fares by an estimated 40 per cent, which, as you can imagine, is quite a hit to the average Aussie traveller’s wallet.

In a twist of turbulence, Qantas now faces legal action from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) over selling tickets for already-cancelled flights and disallowing refunds for customers whose trips were ruined due to COVID-19.

Joyce's unexpected exit, rather than walking the fiery path till his planned exit in November, has now shifted the pilot seat to the incoming CEO, Vanessa Hudson, starting her tenure this Wednesday, September 10.

Moving the retirement timeline to now, Joyce has stated, 'In the last few weeks, the focus on Qantas and events of the past make it clear to me that the company needs to move ahead with its renewal as a priority.'

'The best thing I can do under these circumstances is to bring forward my retirement and hand over to Vanessa and the new management team now, knowing they will do an excellent job.’

'There is a lot I am proud of over my 22 years at Qantas, including the past 15 years as CEO.’

'There have been many ups and downs, and there is clearly much work still to be done, especially to make sure we always deliver for our customers.’

'But I leave knowing that the company is fundamentally strong and has a bright future.'

Undoubtedly, Joyce’s decision adds another layer to the existing turbulence. Speculation feeds into speculation when a key figure at such a significant corporation makes such a dramatic exit.

Joyce used to be the highest-paid CEO in Australia, raking in $23.9 million in 2018. His golden handshake was set to be a cushy $24 million, a sum that would have softened the transition into retirement.

He recently sold more than 80 per cent of his stake in Qantas, offloading 2.5 million shares for a sum of $17 million. Considering the recent fall in Qantas shares, this move saved Joyce from potential losses.

As the dust settles over Joyce's sudden departure, his successor, Vanessa Hudson, is now the ‘captain at the helm’. Acting in her capacity as the incoming CEO, Hudson will have to address the pressing issues at Qantas and quickly gain the confidence of both the public and shareholders.

Key Takeaways

• Qantas Chief Executive, Alan Joyce abruptly quit his position months prior to his planned retirement in November.
  • The airline has been under increased scrutiny since its recent profit announcement and a government decision regarding Qatar Airways, causing Qantas shares to fall.
  • Joyce handed the reigns to the incoming CEO, Vanessa Hudson, who will begin the role on Wednesday.
  • The airline is facing legal action over allegations that it sold tickets for flights that were already cancelled and is facing backlash from customers regarding payments not returned for cancelled flights.

So, members, stay tuned for more updates on this surprise shake-up at Qantas. We might not dwell on corporate comings and goings much, but when it affects Australians and their money, it certainly gets our engines going! We’re keenly watching Vanessa Hudson’s journey. Let’s hope she brings some calm and resolves the current turbulence at Qantas!

Let us know what you think of this story, members? We would love to get your thoughts in the comment section below.
Annoying little Leprechaun.... I could add more but I would be up for liable...

I am hoping that the ACCC fully investigates QANTAS after selling their customers tickets on flights that had already been CANCELLED. That idea would have come straight from the top. How dare Alan Joyce steal from the very customers who pay his enormous wages! He is lower than a snake and has destroyed the previous excellent good name of our Airline. Insider Trading needs to be looked into as well considering he sold large parcels of shares just before it came to notice about the investigation. Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish. Fly away Alan Joyce and go back to Scotland. Aussies do not like folk like you.
Very well said 👏 ❤️

You can bet your last dollar that Allan Joyce won't hand back a cent, he won't be asked to and the shareholders should never agree to such ridiculous golden handshakes, particularly when leaving under such a cloud. It is about time measures were put in place to stop such exhorbitant sums of money being wasted and not earned.
Hopefully he hasn't received it yet

Is this yet another homophobic attack on this openly gay person who married to his long-term New Zealander partner, Shane Lloyd.
How is this a homophobic attack , they never mentioned anything AT ALL about him being gay. I don't think I have ever seen any anti gay comments on this forum.
Although everyone does have a right to say what they want

Abby2, That is a silly comment you have just made. Being Gay has nothing to do with what he did. He screwed the taxpayers money (OUR MONEY) and then showed that Qantas under his leadership made a huge profit, while also collecting his huge bonuses made from our money.
The Qantas Board should resign in shame for supporting such a disgraceful act.
But Board in most instances don't care about anyone else but themselves.
Well said.👍

Reactions: Tervueren
I really don't think it's anything to do with that. I

As much as i don't like the man, Don't blame him for the big bonuses and payout he collected, the fault lies straight/squearely into the hands of the Board. If the Board had balls, (WHICH SHOWED THEY HAVE NONE), he could have jumped up and down and screamed as much as he liked, but he wouldn't have collected an
I wonder if he was given the option of either you jump or we push you. Unfortunately the new CEO won't be any better. She's been following him around for the past 15 years and will probably be a min
Abby2, That is a silly comment you have just made. Being Gay has nothing to do with what he did. He screwed the taxpayers money (OUR MONEY) and then showed that Qantas under his leadership made a huge profit, while also collecting his huge bonuses made from our money.
Well said.👍

How is this a homophobic attack , they never mentioned anything AT ALL about him being gay. I don't think I have ever seen any anti gay comments on this forum.
Although everyone does have a right to say what they want
Exactly.👍 Not a word was/has been mentioned about his sexuality. No one has mentioned or appears to be focused on it other than you Abby 2. You are the one who keeps bringing it up as if to make an issue of it,so then that you can make a issue of it.🤔🙄 As far as I'm concerned this is NOT about Alan Joyce's sexuality or who the hell he is married to which by the way YOU brought up and even mentioned his partners name and nationally. This is about him ripping people off and being responsible for people losing their jobs. And him walking away with millions of dollars of taxpayers dollars. And that means your dollars Abby 2. 🤔

Exactly,spot on. Well said.👏

Exactly.👍 Not a word was/has been mentioned about his sexuality. No one has mentioned or appears to be focused on it other than you Abby 2. You are the one who keeps bringing it up as if to make an issue of it,so then that you can make a issue of it.🤔🙄 As far as I'm concerned this is NOT about Alan Joyce's sexuality or who the hell he is married to which by the way YOU brought up and even mentioned his partners name and nationally. This is about him ripping people off and being responsible for people losing their jobs. And him walking away with millions of dollars of taxpayers dollars. And that means your dollars Abby 2. 🤔
Well said , you need to reply using this to @Abby2 So they can read it

Reactions: Observer
Exactly,spot on. Well said.👏

Qantas is just a name of an Australin Company which originated in Australia. Qantas is not to be blamed. The CEO and it's Board of Directors are the ones to be blamed and they should all be made to resign without bonuses.
Allan Joice by claiming his exorbitant bonuses and the Board which gave them to him, are the ones to be blamed, ESPECIALLY WHEN THOSE BONUSES HAVE BEEN PAID BY PROFITS WHICH HAVE BEEN REALISED WITH TAXPAYERS MONEY. PERIOD.!!!
Quantas is a private company - Qantas was privatised between 1992 and 1995. Under the Qantas Sale Act 1992 (QSA) foreign ownership is capped, the airline must keep 'Qantas' in its name and it must remain substantially based in Australia.

Quantas is a private company - Qantas was privatised between 1992 and 1995. Under the Qantas Sale Act 1992 (QSA) foreign ownership is capped, the airline must keep 'Qantas' in its name and it must remain substantially based in Australia.
Which government Privatised Qantas?

But the roots of the crisis go back to the Paul Keating Labor government's decision to privatise Qantas in the early 1990s.19 Sept 2022

View attachment 29099

Key Takeaways

Alan Joyce is a coward. Leaving so he doesn't have to answer questions about how he ran Qantas. Should not have been given a golden handshake that's for sure. What shareholder would reward such actions is beyond the pale.

Reactions: Go Cats