Shocking turbulence on Emirates flight leaves ex-politician with serious injuries

It seems almost anything can come as ‘standard’ in flying nowadays, from overpacked planes to long delays between flights—not to mention stressful security checks!

However, 'unbelievable chaos' and 'complete pandemonium' were the only ways former Western Australian Labor Minister Alannah MacTiernan could describe the mid-air nightmare that left her in a great deal of pain.

The incident has raised questions about the safety of air travel and the measures in place to protect passengers during turbulence.

MacTiernan is nursing a bruised face and broken ribs after a terrifying mid-air incident on an Emirates flight.

Emirates flight EK421 from Perth to Dubai hit severe turbulence on Tuesday, resulting in injuries to a dozen passengers. The turbulence was so severe that several passengers were sent crashing into the ceiling, and a number of crew members were also injured.

photo.jpg
Former Labor Minister Alannah MacTiernan showed her bruised face and the plane where several passengers were injured. Credit: 9News

MacTiernan, who was on her way to the COP28 climate conference, was flung out of her business class seat as the aircraft plunged.

'I could barely move and was in quite a lot of pain. I took the full force on my chest, and I also knocked my head quite badly,' she said.

‘It was complete chaos, which you can understand at the moment and, I guess, immediately after because there were a lot of people hurt, including some of the crew.’

The incident happened a few hours before landing, and during that time, MacTiernan's face became swollen and badly bruised. A CT scan later revealed that the former politician had broken three ribs.

Emirates confirmed the 'unfortunate' incident, stating that medical staff assessed injured passengers and staff.

'We can confirm that flight EK421 from Perth to Dubai on 4 December briefly encountered unexpected turbulence mid-flight,' an Emirates spokesperson said.

'While onboard, those injured were assessed and assisted by our crew and medically-trained volunteers, with additional medical support provided via satellite link.’

‘The flight was met by medical services on landing, and Emirates has also deployed its care team to ensure the injured passengers and crew are provided all possible support.'

tim-dennert-ID3ZX0BqnS8-unsplash.jpg
Emirates confirmed the incident, and its medical staff assisted the injured passengers. Credit: Unsplash

Understanding Turbulence and Air Travel Safety

Turbulence is a common occurrence in air travel, often caused by atmospheric pressure, jet streams, air around mountains, cold or warm weather fronts or thunderstorms. However, severe turbulence, like the one experienced on the Emirates flight, is less common and can be quite dangerous.

Aircraft are designed to withstand even the most severe turbulence. However, injuries can occur when passengers or crew are not buckled up and are thrown around inside the aircraft during such episodes.

This incident should be a lesson for everyone to know the importance of keeping your seatbelt fastened at all times during a flight, even when the seatbelt sign is off.

However, not all turbulence can be predicted, as with the Emirates flight. This is known as 'clear-air turbulence' and can occur in clear skies with good visibility.

Similarly, an Air India flight from New Delhi to Sydney ‘encountered turbulence mid-air, leading to discomfort to the passengers on board’.

Reports showed that up to seven passengers sustained injuries, including sprains, during the distressing in-flight episode. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Former Western Australia Labor minister Alannah MacTiernan suffered a bruised face and broken ribs during severe turbulence on an Emirates flight.
  • The incident, which injured a dozen passengers and some crew members, caused chaos on the flight, with some passengers being sent smashing into the ceiling.
  • MacTiernan was on her way to the COP28 climate conference and was flung out of her business class seat, taking full force on her chest and knocking her head.
  • Emirates confirmed the incident, stating that those injured were assisted by the crew and medically-trained volunteers and additional medical support was given via satellite link. Medical services met the flight on landing, and Emirates' care team ensured the injured passengers and crew received all possible support.
What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you ever experienced severe turbulence during a flight? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
It seems almost anything can come as ‘standard’ in flying nowadays, from overpacked planes to long delays between flights—not to mention stressful security checks!

However, 'unbelievable chaos' and 'complete pandemonium' were the only ways former Western Australian Labor Minister Alannah MacTiernan could describe the mid-air nightmare that left her in a great deal of pain.

The incident has raised questions about the safety of air travel and the measures in place to protect passengers during turbulence.

MacTiernan is nursing a bruised face and broken ribs after a terrifying mid-air incident on an Emirates flight.

Emirates flight EK421 from Perth to Dubai hit severe turbulence on Tuesday, resulting in injuries to a dozen passengers. The turbulence was so severe that several passengers were sent crashing into the ceiling, and a number of crew members were also injured.

View attachment 37285
Former Labor Minister Alannah MacTiernan showed her bruised face and the plane where several passengers were injured. Credit: 9News

MacTiernan, who was on her way to the COP28 climate conference, was flung out of her business class seat as the aircraft plunged.

'I could barely move and was in quite a lot of pain. I took the full force on my chest, and I also knocked my head quite badly,' she said.

‘It was complete chaos, which you can understand at the moment and, I guess, immediately after because there were a lot of people hurt, including some of the crew.’

The incident happened a few hours before landing, and during that time, MacTiernan's face became swollen and badly bruised. A CT scan later revealed that the former politician had broken three ribs.

Emirates confirmed the 'unfortunate' incident, stating that medical staff assessed injured passengers and staff.

'We can confirm that flight EK421 from Perth to Dubai on 4 December briefly encountered unexpected turbulence mid-flight,' an Emirates spokesperson said.

'While onboard, those injured were assessed and assisted by our crew and medically-trained volunteers, with additional medical support provided via satellite link.’

‘The flight was met by medical services on landing, and Emirates has also deployed its care team to ensure the injured passengers and crew are provided all possible support.'

View attachment 37286
Emirates confirmed the incident, and its medical staff assisted the injured passengers. Credit: Unsplash

Turbulence is a common occurrence in air travel, often caused by atmospheric pressure, jet streams, air around mountains, cold or warm weather fronts or thunderstorms. However, severe turbulence, like the one experienced on the Emirates flight, is less common and can be quite dangerous.

Aircraft are designed to withstand even the most severe turbulence. However, injuries can occur when passengers or crew are not buckled up and are thrown around inside the aircraft during such episodes.

This incident should be a lesson for everyone to know the importance of keeping your seatbelt fastened at all times during a flight, even when the seatbelt sign is off.

However, not all turbulence can be predicted, as with the Emirates flight. This is known as 'clear-air turbulence' and can occur in clear skies with good visibility.

Similarly, an Air India flight from New Delhi to Sydney ‘encountered turbulence mid-air, leading to discomfort to the passengers on board’.

Reports showed that up to seven passengers sustained injuries, including sprains, during the distressing in-flight episode. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• Former Western Australia Labor minister Alannah MacTiernan suffered a bruised face and broken ribs during severe turbulence on an Emirates flight.
  • The incident, which injured a dozen passengers and some crew members, caused chaos on the flight, with some passengers being sent smashing into the ceiling.
  • MacTiernan was on her way to the COP28 climate conference and was flung out of her business class seat, taking full force on her chest and knocking her head.
  • Emirates confirmed the incident, stating that those injured were assisted by the crew and medically-trained volunteers and additional medical support was given via satellite link. Medical services met the flight on landing, and Emirates' care team ensured the injured passengers and crew received all possible support.
What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you ever experienced severe turbulence during a flight? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
That’s why they tell you to keep your seat belt on but a lot don’t want to listen 🤬

View attachment 37285

View attachment 37286

Key Takeaways

That's why you should always keep the seat belts ON at all times when seated. It's your choice to take the risk of turbulence.
Only if out if seat for loo break etc should there be any risk at all.
Common sense.

I experienced the same on a Garuda flight about an hour out of Denpasar in November 1981. The plane dropped out of the sky and everything went flying, including drink carts and people. One woman suffered a suspected broken leg. Myself and the girlfriend were luckily strapped in at the time. All I did was laugh, probably as a bizarre coping mechanism to "this is the end".

Last edited:

View attachment 37285

View attachment 37286

Key Takeaways

It is generally advised that you keep your seatbelt on unless moving around the cabin

I actually enjoy a bit of turbulence, helps me sleep. Have flown a lot over the years and only once it got a bit out of hand when crossing the Pacific Ocean from Hong Kong to San Francisco (1979). The plane plummeted down a fair distance. Plenty of screaming could be heard. But I was more concerned my 3 yr old was going to pee in the seat. She’d been pestering me to take her to the toilet, but the timing wasn’t right. That was in the days of having a “smoking section”. Didn’t see any lit ciggies flying around. 😀

I actually enjoy a bit of turbulence, helps me sleep. Have flown a lot over the years and only once it got a bit out of hand when crossing the Pacific Ocean from Hong Kong to San Francisco (1979). The plane plummeted down a fair distance. Plenty of screaming could be heard. But I was more concerned my 3 yr old was going to pee in the seat. She’d been pestering me to take her to the toilet, but the timing wasn’t right. That was in the days of having a “smoking section”. Didn’t see any lit ciggies flying around. 😀
They were all safely secured in their....

.... packets.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM and PattiB
If she is a former western Australian minister why was she going to COP28 or whatever it is? Maybe if she was in economy, thus saving taxpayers thousands of dollars, she wouldn’t have got so many injuries as she would have been packed in with all the other passengers with little room to be flung about.

An earlier report said she was lying down. I don't think the seat belts work when the seat is in the bed position. However, not having been in Business Class I don't really know!!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
Having flown many times at the Taxpayer's expense she would have been aware of the need to stay fastened up during flight. I have no sympathy for her.

l haven't flown very often but have never had this problem in turbulences because, silly me keeps my belt buckled. 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: DLHM