Shocking truth about ‘forever chemicals’: Is tap water poisoning you?

Australians take pride in the quality of our natural resources, including the purity of our water, which is a fundamental necessity we drink daily.

However, recent findings have raised a red flag about the safety of our tap water, and everyone, especially those more vulnerable to health issues, should be aware of this.

The term 'forever chemicals' might sound like something out of a science fiction novel, but it's a very real and pressing concern.

These chemicals, specifically perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), have been found in the tap water of several Australian regions, including New South Wales, the ACT, Queensland, and Victoria.

The World Health Organisation classified PFOA as carcinogenic to humans and PFOS as possibly carcinogenic, linking them to a host of health issues such as cancers.

shutterstock_1686445777.jpg
Recent discoveries raised concerns about the safety of our tap water. Credit: Shutterstock

These chemicals' origins date back to 1940, when they were developed for their durability and resistance to water, oil, and stains.

They've been used in various consumer products, from waterproof jackets and stain-resistant carpets to non-stick frying pans and firefighting foam.

In 2023, despite facing over 4000 lawsuits filed by various parties, including other chemical companies, multinational manufacturing giant 3M reached a $10.3 billion settlement with U.S. public water bodies.

The problem with these chemicals is that they don't break down in the environment or the human body, hence the name 'forever chemicals'.

United States recently slashed the acceptable limits for these chemicals in tap water to a mere four parts per trillion.

In contrast, Australia's standards are significantly higher, at 560 parts per trillion for PFOA and 70 parts per trillion for PFOS.

The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH)’s analysis revealed that up to 1.8 million Australians have been exposed to these chemicals in their drinking water since 2010.

This includes residents in Sydney suburbs such as Blacktown, Campbeltown, and Liverpool, as well as those in Canberra, Melbourne's Footscray, Adelaide, regional Queensland cities like Cairns and Gladstone, Kingborough in Hobart, and Darwin.

Despite these alarming findings, New South Wales Premier Chris Minns assured us that Sydney's water is generally considered very good regarding contaminants.

However, he also acknowledged that the state is examining the recent changes in US water tolerance levels.

‘I just want to make the point, particularly for Sydney metropolitan area, we’ve got a defined area in terms of our catchment for Sydney’s water, and as a result, it’s generally regarded as very good when it comes to contaminants and the drinkability,’ Minns said.

‘I wouldn’t jump the gun, obviously, we’re examining those US studies and want to apply the best practice…but the latest advice I have is Sydney’s water is good.’

The SMH report also uncovered a shortfall in the testing for these chemicals nationwide.

In a study conducted by the University of Queensland in 2011, researchers discovered traces of the chemicals in approximately half of its samples collected from various cities and regions.

In related news, Australian waters are home to a particular mammal with the highest global concentrations of 'forever chemicals'.

The presence of these chemicals in predators at the top of the food chain can indicate underlying issues within the entire ecosystem. The research conducted here provides more in-depth information.
Key Takeaways
  • The United States significantly reduced the allowable limits of so-called 'forever chemicals' in tap water, raising concerns about Australian standards.
  • Studies and historical test data indicated that Australian tap water contains these contaminants at levels above the newly established US limits.
  • Forever chemicals, such as PFOS and PFOA used in consumer and industrial products, are considered carcinogenic or potentially carcinogenic by the World Health Organisation.
  • In light of the US changes, New South Wales Premier Chris Minns stated that they are examining the recent American studies to possibly apply best practices, assuring that Sydney's water is generally well-regarded in terms of quality and safety.
Have you had your tap water tested? Are you concerned about the presence of forever chemicals in your water supply? We’d love to know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I would ask at this stage how much the big bottled water distributors have their finger in the pie on this one.
I have grown up on tap water, then 20 odd years on tank water, now back to town water. I don't believe in buying bottles of water, so, I have to take a risk and drink it the way it comes, out of a tap.
Gee...I wonder if I will see 90 years of age.