Shocking truth about ‘forever chemicals’: Is tap water poisoning you?

Australians take pride in the quality of our natural resources, including the purity of our water, which is a fundamental necessity we drink daily.

However, recent findings have raised a red flag about the safety of our tap water, and everyone, especially those more vulnerable to health issues, should be aware of this.

The term 'forever chemicals' might sound like something out of a science fiction novel, but it's a very real and pressing concern.

These chemicals, specifically perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), have been found in the tap water of several Australian regions, including New South Wales, the ACT, Queensland, and Victoria.

The World Health Organisation classified PFOA as carcinogenic to humans and PFOS as possibly carcinogenic, linking them to a host of health issues such as cancers.

shutterstock_1686445777.jpg
Recent discoveries raised concerns about the safety of our tap water. Credit: Shutterstock

These chemicals' origins date back to 1940, when they were developed for their durability and resistance to water, oil, and stains.

They've been used in various consumer products, from waterproof jackets and stain-resistant carpets to non-stick frying pans and firefighting foam.

In 2023, despite facing over 4000 lawsuits filed by various parties, including other chemical companies, multinational manufacturing giant 3M reached a $10.3 billion settlement with U.S. public water bodies.

The problem with these chemicals is that they don't break down in the environment or the human body, hence the name 'forever chemicals'.

United States recently slashed the acceptable limits for these chemicals in tap water to a mere four parts per trillion.

In contrast, Australia's standards are significantly higher, at 560 parts per trillion for PFOA and 70 parts per trillion for PFOS.

The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH)’s analysis revealed that up to 1.8 million Australians have been exposed to these chemicals in their drinking water since 2010.

This includes residents in Sydney suburbs such as Blacktown, Campbeltown, and Liverpool, as well as those in Canberra, Melbourne's Footscray, Adelaide, regional Queensland cities like Cairns and Gladstone, Kingborough in Hobart, and Darwin.

Despite these alarming findings, New South Wales Premier Chris Minns assured us that Sydney's water is generally considered very good regarding contaminants.

However, he also acknowledged that the state is examining the recent changes in US water tolerance levels.

‘I just want to make the point, particularly for Sydney metropolitan area, we’ve got a defined area in terms of our catchment for Sydney’s water, and as a result, it’s generally regarded as very good when it comes to contaminants and the drinkability,’ Minns said.

‘I wouldn’t jump the gun, obviously, we’re examining those US studies and want to apply the best practice…but the latest advice I have is Sydney’s water is good.’

The SMH report also uncovered a shortfall in the testing for these chemicals nationwide.

In a study conducted by the University of Queensland in 2011, researchers discovered traces of the chemicals in approximately half of its samples collected from various cities and regions.

In related news, Australian waters are home to a particular mammal with the highest global concentrations of 'forever chemicals'.

The presence of these chemicals in predators at the top of the food chain can indicate underlying issues within the entire ecosystem. The research conducted here provides more in-depth information.
Key Takeaways
  • The United States significantly reduced the allowable limits of so-called 'forever chemicals' in tap water, raising concerns about Australian standards.
  • Studies and historical test data indicated that Australian tap water contains these contaminants at levels above the newly established US limits.
  • Forever chemicals, such as PFOS and PFOA used in consumer and industrial products, are considered carcinogenic or potentially carcinogenic by the World Health Organisation.
  • In light of the US changes, New South Wales Premier Chris Minns stated that they are examining the recent American studies to possibly apply best practices, assuring that Sydney's water is generally well-regarded in terms of quality and safety.
Have you had your tap water tested? Are you concerned about the presence of forever chemicals in your water supply? We’d love to know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have a stand alone filter system for everyday drinking and cooking - Pro Pure- Stainless steel tanks- the filters filter out heavy metals, fluoride, bacteria and heaps of other nasties. I also have a small filter attached to my shower rose - all works for me. We have hard water in Brisbane. I am not a fan of our tap water.

Only drink rain water. Have done so all my life. Even when travelling , find that most places have a rain water tank. Run it through a filter. Use it for everything . Drinking, coffee , tea, cooking. Never have that change in taste that you get when it comes from different sources.

hahahahha - another everyday thing thats going to kill us.
From The American Cancer Society, dated 31 May 2024.

Studies have looked at cancer rates in people living near or working in PFOA-related chemical plants. Some of these studies have suggested an increased risk of testicular cancer and kidney cancer with increased PFOA exposure. Studies have also suggested a possible link to thyroid cancer, but the increases in risk have been small and could have been due to chance.

There we have it folks! There is no definitive proof that these chemicals cause ANYTHING! Just another knee jerk reaction to something that has not been fully investigated. You could include COVID-19 vaccines in that species of contentious issues.

Source: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-prevention/chemicals/teflon-and-perfluorooctanoic-acid-pfoa.html

• Love
Reactions: gordon1940 and DLHM

Studies have looked at cancer rates in people living near or working in PFOA-related chemical plants. Some of these studies have suggested an increased risk of testicular cancer and kidney cancer with increased PFOA exposure. Studies have also suggested a possible link to thyroid cancer, but the increases in risk have been small and could have been due to chance.

There we have it folks! There is no definitive proof that these chemicals cause ANYTHING! Just another knee jerk reaction to something that has not been fully investigated. You could include COVID-19 vaccines in that species of contentious issues.

Source: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-prevention/chemicals/teflon-and-perfluorooctanoic-acid-pfoa.html
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly @Veggiepatch.

Suggestions can give people the option to research further if this is an issue that bothers them, but the bottom line is there is no proof of any studies, research, trials etc.

The water in my area is the worst in NSW I am sure. The fellow who replaces the core in my hot wter system every 5 years has told me that he works from the Qld border down to Newcastle and Grafton is the worst he has ever come across. I would not drink tap water straight from the tap ever but always boil it and cool it in the fridge. The state of my kettle from boiling tap water is awful and I have to clean it often to get rid of what looks like soot which is really from the chemicals contained in the water.

Luv YA!!

I have an avid interest in toxicology and pharmacology since my late teens when I commenced my first of a few tertiary qualifications in chemistry. That is why I rely on reputable journals and organisations for information on such subjects, not some half baked alarmist claims made by the practitioners of social media and the like.

• Love
Reactions: Gsr and DLHM
Oral median lethal doses (LD50) of 680 mg/kg by weight for male rats and 430 mg/kg by weight for female rats.*

That means that perfluorooctanoic acid can potential kill you at levels of about 500000000 parts per trillion yet the acceptable limit is four parts per trillion and 560 parts per trillion in the US and Australia respectively. This is almost 900000 times the Australian acceptable limit.

Talk about overkill gone totally mad!

*Source: Dean, W.P. and Jessup, A.C. 1978, Acute oral toxicity (LD50) study in rats International research and development corporation, Study 137-091, 1978, USEPA AR226-0419.

Reactions: DLHM
Grew up drinking rainwater from a tank with goodness knows what in it, bird poo and lots of other rubbish off house roof, frogs in tank, so peeing and pooping in water, often had wrigglers coming out of taps, it is what people did in the country, and a lot of townsfolk too back then only had tank water to use. Also drank water out of creeks, dams, rivers, puddles etc if out playing and got thirsty. For the last 50 odd years have been drinking tank and town water, I drink it straight out of the tap, only boil it if I want a cuppa. Don’t use filters. Still kicking on at 70 so guess it hasn’t done me any harm. Sometimes I think people read these articles and think they must be sick, have serious problems just because someone says this or that is harmful to humans.