Shocking social media post reveals Woolworths workers insulting customers - 'Do your own shopping!'

We know how important it is to find the right balance between convenience and value for money. We’re often working within a budget, while also trying our best to keep our independence.

That’s why online grocery shopping is such a great option — more supermarkets are offering online delivery and collection, which is especially helpful for those who have health or mobility concerns, or simply don't have the time to do their grocery shopping.

We rely on supermarkets to provide us with the highest quality products.

However, we are also aware of the disadvantages of online shopping, including receiving some items that do not match our expectations.

And for this reason, shoppers often make special requests in their online orders.

0bc6c410-a4f2-11ed-bebe-d87093baf462

Online shoppers make special requests to ensure the quality of their purchases despite not being able to shop physically. Credit: Facebook.

Recently, social media users discovered posts from Woolworths workers who were being dismissive of customer requests for quality products when it comes to online orders.

The posts in question came from an unofficial Facebook group for Woolies workers, which showed staff discussing requests from shoppers like asking for 'firm' blueberries, ice cream from the back of the freezer or even 'pretty' coloured fly swatters.

Instead of taking these requests seriously, the Woolworths team members appeared to be mocking the customers’ requests, with one employee rudely suggesting that customers should 'do [their] own d*mn shopping.'

The worker who posted the thread continued to brag about turning down another request from the customer, who had similarly bought 10 cucumbers and written a note requesting that the freshest be chosen.

As shoppers, we expect that all our requests will be taken seriously, even if those requests are extra-specific.

'I didn't. No way I was wasting my time,' the employee wrote.

2f037f80-a4f3-11ed-b753-c4411a62dc86

A Facebook post exposed how Woolworths workers make fun of online shoppers' special requests. Credit: Facebook.

Others poked fun at the shopper who requested the 'firm' blueberries, with one person saying: 'Should've eaten a few to make sure they were OK too.'

Some pointed out that they would do the opposite of the requests.

Woolies customers appeared to have a shared concern with the selection of freshly stocked produce and meat, as seen by another Facebook post that asked that the freshness of the beef mince be 'double checked'.

However, one employee sarcastically said that seeing notes like this is the 'best way' for customers to guarantee they won't get the freshest things available.

In response to the issue being brought to light, a Woolworths spokesperson issued a statement saying that while there are instances where particular requests made in connection with online orders cannot be met because of unexpected circumstances, every effort is taken to guarantee that customers receive what they request.

They also reminded customers of the company's Fresh or Free Guarantee and encouraged them to keep in touch with the retailer if they have issues with their purchases.

'We expect our team members to always meet the specific requests customers place in their orders but we know that due to supply or stock issues, this is not always the case. If a customer is unhappy with their order, they're encouraged to contact us so we can look into it,' the representative said.

Woolworths website even suggests leaving ‘personal shopping notes’:
‘Leaving a Personal Shopper note against any item is the best way to let them know exactly how you’d pick those items in store, especially fresh fruit and veg. You could also ask them to pick a specific size or weight, green or ripe produce, or even choose certain items by their use-by-date.’

Hmm, now who is going to tell the staff members?

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths employees have been discovered mocking customers in an unofficial Facebook group for workers.
  • Employees laughed at shopper’s requests such as asking for 'firm' blueberries, or for ice cream 'from the back' of the freezer.
  • Woolworths staff suggested customers ordering online should not expect to receive the freshest products available.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson said staff make every effort to fulfill customer requests, and encouraged unhappy customers to contact them.

We feel strongly that if you're paying hard-earned money for a service, it's only reasonable to expect that a business should follow through on its delivery of that service. That's why we take a dim view of poor customer service.

So, members, don’t forget you can demand quality products! Just make sure you stay vigilant when it comes to asking for a little extra attention - and don’t be discouraged from making those special requests by discouraging words from a few staff.

Members, what do you think? Do you think these comments from the staff members are insensitive to shoppers?

Sponsored
I would just like to praise my local Woolies at Wollongong because they look after me so well. I do not travel well so home delivery is an important and regular feature that I benefit from. The food is always fresh and well within the "best before" periods. Substitutions are always to my advantage. The delivery drivers who are Woolies employees are just fantastic, they are obliging, pleasant and helpful. They always have a smile on their faces even if they might not feel like it. They have no problems at all with my companion dog. The whole service is incredible. If customers have an issue it is probably less than when they do their own shopping because the pickers for my orders obviously take so much care with everything in my order as they would with anyone. Well done Woolies Wollongong, top job guys.

Reactions: Ricci
That is really sad for you. Is there someone near you that would do your shopping for you? I did my mum's for her for many years. She loved that I would add a surprise or two!
That is so sweet of you, thank you Tripper, for the offer.
Fortunately, from lots of experience and a few very close friends who have become my family, I do manage.
Thank you again and God Bless.
xoxo
hugs and kisses.jpg

Reactions: Ricci and Tripper
I totally agree with everyone's remarks regarding these rogue and unappreciative staff - if it is that much of a problem then leave! What is it with suppliers generally with their dismissive and arrogant reactions to something they have done that is clearly not right?

We were stranded in NZ for months during Covid and we tried online delivery via Countdown which is owned by Woolworths. We were so impressed with their service. I always put on a thanks and due to the Covid pressure and poor customer behaviour that was also experienced here I added something encouraging during those difficult times. I ALWAYS had some kind and appreciative message returned by the staff who picked the order and their first name who took the trouble to thank me for using their services.

I have mobility issues which means I cannot stand for long so supermarket shopping is a nightmare for me and so I became a converted online shopper after the NZ experience whereas before I insisted on doing my own shopping.

I now alternate between Coles and Woolworths for online orders - the latter does have space for requests and Coles should do the same so I prefer Woolies from that point of view. However, any refunds are without issues via Coles as a quick text to an actual person sorts it out swiftly. Dealing with Olive at Woolies can be frustrating and I have had two incidents which were not dealt with appropriately via their call centre until speaking with a Manager over large issues. It was frustrating as I had to spend time on the phone. One person in the call centre just disconnected me when he would not understand the error!

What I can say is that if anything is missing (rarely) damaged or less than their rule of "2 days UBD" (which is not ideal in my book) I immediately get a refund and do not put up with it. It appears that they have got the message as it has diminished!

We have also had items delivered that were not ordered including two bags of frozen chicken tenders. We phoned and we were told to not worry about it and to keep them - so some poor person did not get their full order and it was obvious it was to watch the Footie that Saturday night.

I absolutely appreciate the opportunity to have my groceries delivered especially due to my circumstances but the companies concerned need to take responsibility to ensure their staff behave appropriately.
I still go to Aldi but it has to be limited to a very short time.

So, I do encourage people to request a refund on anything that they are not happy about or would not choose themselves, within reason. Obviously it needs to be legit.........!

As said I would like Coles to have the space to send a thank you message to their shopper but it only offers that for the delivery drivers. However, they are not in the job as a personal shopper to suit themselves or identify something they feel is out of their psyche - so they should just swallow it as part of any job!

Take care out there and hopefully online shopping results will improve - it's big business!

Reactions: mOiOz and Ricci
We know how important it is to find the right balance between convenience and value for money. We’re often working within a budget, while also trying our best to keep our independence.

That’s why online grocery shopping is such a great option — more supermarkets are offering online delivery and collection, which is especially helpful for those who have health or mobility concerns, or simply don't have the time to do their grocery shopping.

However, we are also aware of the disadvantages of online shopping, including receiving some items that do not match our expectations.

And for this reason, shoppers often make special requests in their online orders.

Online shoppers make special requests to ensure the quality of their purchases despite not being able to shop physically. Credit: Facebook.

Recently, social media users discovered posts from Woolworths workers who were being dismissive of customer requests for quality products when it comes to online orders.

The posts in question came from an unofficial Facebook group for Woolies workers, which showed staff discussing requests from shoppers like asking for 'firm' blueberries, ice cream from the back of the freezer or even 'pretty' coloured fly swatters.

Instead of taking these requests seriously, the Woolworths team members appeared to be mocking the customers’ requests, with one employee rudely suggesting that customers should 'do [their] own d*mn shopping.'

The worker who posted the thread continued to brag about turning down another request from the customer, who had similarly bought 10 cucumbers and written a note requesting that the freshest be chosen.

As shoppers, we expect that all our requests will be taken seriously, even if those requests are extra-specific.

A Facebook post exposed how Woolworths workers make fun of online shoppers' special requests. Credit: Facebook.

Others poked fun at the shopper who requested the 'firm' blueberries, with one person saying: 'Should've eaten a few to make sure they were OK too.'

Woolies customers appeared to have a shared concern with the selection of freshly stocked produce and meat, as seen by another Facebook post that asked that the freshness of the beef mince be 'double checked'.

However, one employee sarcastically said that seeing notes like this is the 'best way' for customers to guarantee they won't get the freshest things available.

In response to the issue being brought to light, a Woolworths spokesperson issued a statement saying that while there are instances where particular requests made in connection with online orders cannot be met because of unexpected circumstances, every effort is taken to guarantee that customers receive what they request.

They also reminded customers of the company's Fresh or Free Guarantee and encouraged them to keep in touch with the retailer if they have issues with their purchases.

'We expect our team members to always meet the specific requests customers place in their orders but we know that due to supply or stock issues, this is not always the case. If a customer is unhappy with their order, they're encouraged to contact us so we can look into it,' the representative said.

‘Leaving a Personal Shopper note against any item is the best way to let them know exactly how you’d pick those items in store, especially fresh fruit and veg. You could also ask them to pick a specific size or weight, green or ripe produce, or even choose certain items by their use-by-date.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths employees have been discovered mocking customers in an unofficial Facebook group for workers.
  • Employees laughed at shopper’s requests such as asking for 'firm' blueberries, or for ice cream 'from the back' of the freezer.
  • Woolworths staff suggested customers ordering online should not expect to receive the freshest products available.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson said staff make every effort to fulfill customer requests, and encouraged unhappy customers to contact them.

We feel strongly that if you're paying hard-earned money for a service, it's only reasonable to expect that a business should follow through on its delivery of that service. That's why we take a dim view of poor customer service.

So, members, don’t forget you can demand quality products! Just make sure you stay vigilant when it comes to asking for a little extra attention - and don’t be discouraged from making those special requests by discouraging words from a few staff.

Members, what do you think? Do you think these comments from the staff members are insensitive to shoppers?
Very insensitive, after all if we didn't shop on line they wouldn't have a job picking our groceries.
My local Woolies has always delivered exceptional service. I shop on line all the time

Reactions: Ricci and mOiOz

Key Takeaways

Absolutely, they are paid to give customer service to the best of their ability, if they are not happy with these conditions, MOVE ON. Is there such a thing as service anymore, don't think so,bout time management weeded out the nonproductive employees?

Reactions: Ricci