Shocking sight at Vinnies has Aussies outraged

Charitable giving is a cornerstone of Australian community spirit. There’s no greater joy than sharing our blessings with people in need.

However, a recent incident at a Vinnies store has sparked outrage and highlighted a growing problem with donations.

A photo by Mount Barker, SA, local Fiona Watson showed a chaotic scene of discarded items strewn outside the charity shop that has left residents and online viewers appalled.

The image captures the aftermath of what appears to be a haphazard dumping of donations–including an office chair, clothes, and household goods–outside the St Vincent de Paul Society centre.

Watson, who intended to drop off items, was confronted with the disarray.

The piles of bags, boxes, and miscellaneous items left outside not only created a mess but also posed a significant problem when inclement weather damages the goods, rendering them unusable.

'It looked like someone had gone through it and just thrown it everywhere,' she said in dismay.

vinnies.PNG
Unorganised piles of ‘donations’ make cleanup a daunting task for Vinnies and their staff. Image Credit: Facebook

Narelle Brine from Vinnies Mount Barker expressed gratitude to Ms Watson, who took the initiative to clean the area for over an hour.

Brine also acknowledged that this kind of dumping is a regular occurrence, leaving her and the staff facing a huge task every day.

‘They come in and we probably spend an hour some mornings cleaning up,' Brine said.

More than just an eyesore; it represents a deeper issue with the way some Australians are choosing to donate to charity shops.

Previous reports have revealed that local governments and even charity shops themselves have resorted to removing donation bins usually left outside to address donation dumping.

The Mount Barker Vinnies removed its own large donation bins, which have since been replaced by smaller bins, early this month.

However, these replacement bins are only usable during opening hours, and as the image taken by Watson suggests, many donors seem to overlook their presence.

The issue of donation dumping is not unique to Mount Barker.

Charity shops across Australia are grappling with the cost and labour involved in disposing of unsellable items irresponsibly left outside their premises.

Vinnies has reminded the public that items like computers, mattresses, and damaged furniture can’t be accepted, as they are not reusable.

A spokesperson from St Vincent de Paul Society has emphasised that they encourage donors to bring their items inside Vinnies when it is open, especially if no bins are available.

This incident serves as a reminder that while the intention to donate is commendable, the method of donation must be responsible.

Always check with local charity shops for their specific needs and donation guidelines, donate during business hours, and think twice before leaving items outside that could become a burden.

Donors should ensure that their contributions are not only useful but also delivered in a manner that respects the charity's resources and the community it serves.

For those who want to donate but are unsure of their donated goods, the charity advises contacting the branch concerned first. Vinnies can be reached at 13 18 12.
Key Takeaways

• Residents of Mount Barker are angry over the chaotic dumping of items outside a local Vinnies, reaching outside its premises.
  • Local Fiona Watson spent over an hour cleaning up the mess, while complaining about the regularity of such occurrences.
  • Vinnies Mount Barker representative Narelle Brine highlighted the staff's daily effort in cleaning up dumped items that often can't be reused.
  • A St Vincent de Paul Society spokesman encouraged donors to drop items off inside their local Vinnies store during opening hours and clarified that certain items, such as computers and damaged furniture, cannot be accepted.
Have you witnessed similar scenes at your local charity shops? How do you think we can better support these organisations in managing donations? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
If these shops would install security cameras inside, filming outside of course! This will surely have an effect. Then blow up the images of the dumpers/sifters and put on the window. Shame and name, get police involved. It stopped our Op shop from being used as a free tip. Used to cost us hundreds to dispose of others rubbish.

A lot of the donations bins are not emptied regularly so people just dump next to it. A charity bin (not Vinnies) in my area was not emptied for 4 months and as weekends is usually when people have time to brings things down they come across closed charity shops, some don't take donations on weekends and their bins aren't emptied so what are they to do but dump them.

If these shops would install security cameras inside, filming outside of course! This will surely have an effect. Then blow up the images of the dumpers/sifters and put on the window. Shame and name, get police involved. It stopped our Op shop from being used as a free tip. Used to cost us hundreds to dispose of others rubbish.
Possibly not just named and shamed but indicted for illegal dumping.

This rubbish dumping is disgusting! Whatever happened to the golden rule to do unto others the way you’d like things to be done to you? It would be ideal to have a surveillance camera to photograph offenders and post pictures of them. Or temporary volunteer security people to keep watch. I know this is hard to reinforce but people need to be educated and made accountable. Maybe if found, the offenders could be asked to clean up the mess? Is this a pipe dream?

I am a volunteer at a vinnies in Victoria at times when I arrive at work for my shift there are items dumped by the big bins we use for rubbish when the shop is open we have volunteers who go out and collect the donations from the donor themselves or out of the bins provided there are no dumping signs around but they just keep dumping them

We once wanted to donate some furniture to St. Vincent's. The collection van driver sneered at the armchair we wanted to donate, so we withheld the rather valuable antique desk we had also intended to give. One of my sons moved that armchair into his room and used it for the next ten years.

I also recall a TV snippet featuring a lady holding up some glass jars and intoning "How dare people just dump their rubbish on us." Those storage jars were marketed as collector's items.

Reactions: Gsr
I never donate anything that I wouldn’t be happy to buy and use. I always wash all clothing and toys before donating them. I also offer to give the shop my phone n7mber so if they deem anything I donate as not suitable I can pick it up and dispose of it so they don’t have to. To date I have never received a phone call.

Reactions: DLHM and Fanger
Always. Even when they have signs up asking them not to leave donations unattended as it’s classed as littering.

It can also be a potential hazard for pedestrians, elderly, disabled, etc depending where the store location is

Reactions: Gsr
The store belongs to a charity. Majority of staff are volunteers. Stock/inventory is free (donated). Money is made for charitable purposes but St Vincent de Paul needs to loosen the purse strings to:

1. Provide appropriately sized donation bins based on past donations left at that particular location to address over filling; and

2. Install security cameras that will assist in identifying the dumpers and the thieves; and

3. Print and stick pictures of those dumpers in the store windows and inside on the walls and post those pictures (of those dumpers and thieves) online so that they will be recognised and shunned by the community.

Dumpers are good for nothing litterbugs, too cheap and lazy to dispose of rubbish via their bins and/or their local council tips (even when most councils provide vouchers or other concessions to access the said tips).

If your council charges admission, friggin we'll pay it like I and thousands of other people do you scabs.

As for the thieves, you should be ashamed. The clothing and items for sale inside the stores are already cheap (notwithstanding the stories spread around about overpriced designer pieces). Here is what you knuckleheads should do:

1. Wait till the store opens;

2. When that happens, go inside and select pieces similar to the ones you've stolen before;

3. Pay for the bloody things and leave.

Last edited:
A lot of the donations bins are not emptied regularly so people just dump next to it. A charity bin (not Vinnies) in my area was not emptied for 4 months and as weekends is usually when people have time to brings things down they come across closed charity shops, some don't take donations on weekends and their bins aren't emptied so what are they to do but dump them.
NO! You keep these items at home, in the car boot or garage until these shops are open. Charity shops are called that for a good reason, and it’s only the aged or disabled who want to volunteer there. Everybody else whinges because they are not open 24/7/365. Make the chronic unemployed do work, instead of using the system.

Reactions: Fanger and Jen77au
Possibly not just named and shamed but indicted for illegal dumping.
I appreciate that working people are time poor. But there is a deeper problem around these Op Shops.
I believe it is just another action of the
Public involved in not having respect
for the local people. or to those who live
In close proximity to these outlets with the home owners living under stressful
conditions which lowers the value of houses in that area. It Just looks so
Untidy and uncared for, despite the attempts of people who live there to
maintain an orderly environment.

Reactions: Fanger and Jen77au