Shocking shopper footage reveals a common ‘gross’ act: Are you guilty of this habit?

We here at Seniors Discount Club are confident that many of our members are level-headed and responsible shoppers.

That's why we thought it was necessary to bring to your attention an unfortunate incident that was recently caught on camera involving a shopper at a Woolworths store.

It happened during a shopping stint by two ladies participating in a reality cooking show called My Kitchen Rules.

On Wednesday, September 27, the episode showed the contestants, Patricija and Brigita, heading to a Woolies store to shop for ingredients for the Lithuanian menu they were planning to cook up.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 091501.png
Patricija and Brigita, contestants in the reality cooking show, My Kitchen Rules. Credit: mykitchenrules/Instagram

As they were selecting some ingredients for one of their dishes, Patricija accidentally dropped a bundle of shallots on the floor of the store.

Rather than throwing the bundle away or asking a Woolies employee for a new one, the woman proceeded to pick it up—and place it back on the shelves alongside the others.

This prompted a small debate among online viewers, with one person describing the incident as 'gross'.

'I know we're supposed to wash our produce when we get home from the supermarket, but no one does it. So putting the fruit or veggies back on the shelf is just rude for other shoppers,' one viewer remarked.

‘I usually take it to a staff member and tell them it fell on the floor. It’s the right thing to do,’ another said.

But other viewers admitted they do the same thing as Patricija and put the produce back on the shelf.

‘I put it back. If I damaged it beyond sellable, I’d show it to the produce guy and tell him I dropped it. Then move on with my shopping,’ one said.

‘I can't see what the fuss is about. This happens all the time in shops. I have seen staff do the same thing,’ someone argued.

Many people suggested that everyone should just wash their produce regardless.

A social media user asked, ‘These people don't wash their fresh produce when preparing it? Do they think it's not dirty when hundreds of random hands have pawed all over it before them?’

‘I wonder how often fruit and veggies are picked up by different customers throughout the day... just wash before consuming or cooking... it's not rocket science,’ another pointed out.

It seems like retail workers weren't too pleased about this either. According to one shopper's account, she was 'confronted' by a retail worker after she put back a piece of fruit that had been knocked onto the floor by her child.

'He went on about how he now needed to rewash the now “contaminated” oranges,' they said.

As for the Queensland team, Patricija and Brigita successfully cooked their Lithuanian dish. However, their menu was criticised by the show’s members, earning them a score of 59. This means they were eliminated from the contest.

Key Takeaways
  • My Kitchen Rules contestant's ‘gross’ act in a Woolworths supermarket has sparked an online debate.
  • One of the contestants was seen dropping a bundle of shallots on the supermarket floor before placing them back on the display table.
  • Some viewers argue this is poor supermarket etiquette and unfair to other shoppers, while others admit to doing the same.
  • The controversy follows the team's elimination from the contest following their unique Lithuanian menu.

What’s your take on this, members? Do you agree that shoppers should not put back a dropped produce on the shelf, or do you think it’s okay to return it? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We here at Seniors Discount Club are confident that many of our members are level-headed and responsible shoppers.

That's why we thought it was necessary to bring to your attention an unfortunate incident that was recently caught on camera involving a shopper at a Woolworths store.

It happened during a shopping stint by two ladies participating in a reality cooking show called My Kitchen Rules.

On Wednesday, September 27, the episode showed the contestants, Patricija and Brigita, heading to a Woolies store to shop for ingredients for the Lithuanian menu they were planning to cook up.

View attachment 31092
Patricija and Brigita, contestants in the reality cooking show, My Kitchen Rules. Credit: mykitchenrules/Instagram

As they were selecting some ingredients for one of their dishes, Patricija accidentally dropped a bundle of shallots on the floor of the store.

Rather than throwing the bundle away or asking a Woolies employee for a new one, the woman proceeded to pick it up—and place it back on the shelves alongside the others.

This prompted a small debate among online viewers, with one person describing the incident as 'gross'.

'I know we're supposed to wash our produce when we get home from the supermarket, but no one does it. So putting the fruit or veggies back on the shelf is just rude for other shoppers,' one viewer remarked.

‘I usually take it to a staff member and tell them it fell on the floor. It’s the right thing to do,’ another said.

But other viewers admitted they do the same thing as Patricija and put the produce back on the shelf.

‘I put it back. If I damaged it beyond sellable, I’d show it to the produce guy and tell him I dropped it. Then move on with my shopping,’ one said.

‘I can't see what the fuss is about. This happens all the time in shops. I have seen staff do the same thing,’ someone argued.

A social media user asked, ‘These people don't wash their fresh produce when preparing it? Do they think it's not dirty when hundreds of random hands have pawed all over it before them?’

‘I wonder how often fruit and veggies are picked up by different customers throughout the day... just wash before consuming or cooking... it's not rocket science,’ another pointed out.

It seems like retail workers weren't too pleased about this either. According to one shopper's account, she was 'confronted' by a retail worker after she put back a piece of fruit that had been knocked onto the floor by her child.

'He went on about how he now needed to rewash the now “contaminated” oranges,' they said.

As for the Queensland team, Patricija and Brigita successfully cooked their Lithuanian dish. However, their menu was criticised by the show’s members, earning them a score of 59. This means they were eliminated from the contest.

Key Takeaways

• My Kitchen Rules contestant's ‘gross’ act in a Woolworths supermarket has sparked an online debate.
  • One of the contestants was seen dropping a bundle of shallots on the supermarket floor before placing them back on the display table.
  • Some viewers argue this is poor supermarket etiquette and unfair to other shoppers, while others admit to doing the same.
  • The controversy follows the team's elimination from the contest following their unique Lithuanian menu.

What’s your take on this, members? Do you agree that shoppers should not put back a dropped produce on the shelf, or do you think it’s okay to return it? Let us know in the comments below!
Wouldn’t worry me. I wash ALL fruit & veggies the minute I unpack them. I put all in fridge & then when I’m ready to cook, I rewash.

View attachment 31092

Key Takeaways

The fruit/veges etc could have been dropped many times from the time of being picked to their journey to the supermarkets and we'll never know about that. I doubt whether farmers, employees at the supermarket s etc would worry about it and it would be picked back up and put in the box,back on the trolley,back on the shelf etc and we'd be none the wiser. I buy organic veges and fruits but I still wash them before use.

View attachment 31092

Key Takeaways

I wash all fruit and vegetables, except of course anything that skin is peeled off. Strawberries and brocolli I add some white vinegar as well. Everything is sprayed with chemicals when grown.
As for people putting back anything that has fallen on the floor, think it's 🤢 disgusting...... as who knows what's on that floor ?
These days there's no consideration shown for other people.....it's every man for himself !! 🤫😒

I wash all fruit and vegetables, except of course anything that skin is peeled off. Strawberries and brocolli I add some white vinegar as well. Everything is sprayed with chemicals when grown.
As for people putting back anything that has fallen on the floor, think it's 🤢 disgusting...... as who knows what's on that floor ?
These days there's no consideration shown for other people.....it's every man for himself !! 🤫😒
And woman!!!!😄😆🤭😉

View attachment 31092

Key Takeaways

The supermarket employee is an idiot, who eats the orange peel anyway, unless you were going to grate it for cooking.
The only people who would grumble about this are those who are too lazy
to wash their produce prior to using.
Wasting good food, through laziness, is something to get offended about.
Some people are sooooo previous.

View attachment 31092

Key Takeaways

It's a poor Hygeine practise ,nor considerate, Supermarkets are also to blame ,in a Green Grocers or Farmers Market they would pick your fruit and bag it for you

Reactions: PattiB and Observer
I do draw the line at a carton of eggs that have been dropped on the floor....

However, I put things that I drop on the floor back in their proper place, regardless of what it is. Most supermarkets clean their floors on a regular basis. It's not as if you see mud trampled through the store or doggy doo footprints in the aisles every day.

My pet hate is cooking shows were people obviously don’t wash produce,
neither do restaurants. Turns me off big time, not so much germs but chemicals. I thought it was polite to put stuff that’s falls accidentally on the floor to put it back.

View attachment 31092

Key Takeaways

Don't know what all the fuss and whoo ha is over this...