Shocking reports: Some of Australia's most vulnerable citizens are facing worse dietary standards than prisoners

Are Australia’s most vulnerable citizens receiving the care they deserve?

This question comes after a recent story brought to light an issue that is reportedly becoming common in Australia. In some cases, elderly residents living in aged-care facilities appear to be receiving sub-par meals. Recently, someone even went as far as comparing aged-care meals to the food served to prisoners, with an overwhelming consensus agreeing prisoners are eating better.

It appears that Australia’s 43,000 prisoners have better dietary standards than those living in some aged-care homes.

Some prisons allow their inmates to plan their own meals and order ingredients, which helps them cook delicious food using recipes from all over the world, including Mexican beef, Thai green curry, and peri-peri chicken.

food1.jpg
Inmates are allowed to cook their own food in some prisons. Credit: René Roa/Pexels

These meals were in stark contrast to the food served to residents in Regis Aged Care in Brighton, Melbourne, according to Andrew Phelan. His mum is a resident at the facility, which was recently awarded four out of five stars.

Mr Phelan alleged that his mum was given a ‘small handful’ of soggy chips, a kid-sized fish cocktail, and a blob of tartare sauce for dinner.

Meanwhile, ex-convict Jackson Allum (not his real name), who spent two years in several NSW jails of varying security levels, including Silverwater Correctional Complex, and Bathurst, Grafton, Junee, and Glen Innes correctional centres, recently revealed the prison food inmates ate, including what was considered a ‘special treat’.

Based on his account, the highlight of the menu rotation was a portion of chicken devil wings. For breakfast, inmates received cereal or bread. Lunch on weekdays consisted of about two defrosted sandwiches with rotating fillings of corned beef, tuna, ham and cheese, chicken, schnitzel, egg, and Vegemite.

For weekend lunches, sandwiches were swapped out for similarly defrosted sausage rolls or pigs in a blanket (frankfurts in pastry).

food2.jpg
Mexican beef, Thai green curry, and peri-peri chicken meatballs are some of the more exotic dishes served in some NSW prisons. Credit: NSW Corrective Services.

For dinner, prisoners were left with a rotation of oven-heated frozen meals such as curries, stews, and various iterations of meat-and-three-vegetables dinner.

‘They sound appetising, when you hear it, you’re like “beef with black bean sauce, that sounds pretty good,” but it’s not. But it’s not slop either. You know in the movies when they give you grey slop on a tray, it’s not like that,’ Mr Allum said.

In contrast, Mr Phelan shared that the cold fish and chips is what passes for dinner at the aged care facility in Melbourne, where two staff serve 12 people.

‘Mum's bed doesn't work. The food is cold. It's been left in Mum's room on a tray and if I wasn't here there's no way she would be able to get it,’ Mr Phelan said.

He added that he will be moving his mother to a new facility, saying: ‘How that place got 4 stars is beyond me.’

In a statement made by Dietitians Australia last year, experts are ‘urging the strained aged care sector to add food and nutrition to its priorities’.

Julie Dundon, an accredited Practising Dietitian and Aged Care Subject Matter Lead for the organisation, explained why residential homes and home carers must take immediate action.

She shared: ‘We know nutrition and mortality are closely linked to nutritious food with quality of life and better mental health. We’re deeply concerned by reports of food supply shortages and staffing issues resulting in grossly inadequate, or even missed meals in aged care facilities.

food3.jpg
Mr Phelan shared this photo on social media to show the state of his mum’s meals in the aged care residence. Credit: Twitter

Robert Hunt, the Chief Executive Officer of Dietitians Australia, explained in the media statement how malnutrition in the aged care sector has been a long-time concern for the organisation.

He explained: ‘It’s a shame that our nation would spend $10 a day feeding prisoners and only $6 a day feeding our elderly.’

He added that incentivising facilities to reach out for the assistance of a dietitian may offer support to workers and ‘boost the resilience of residents’ through proper nutrition.

Dietitians Australia has been advocating for the federal government to take critical steps that will address what they believe to be a ‘30-year pandemic’ of malnutrition in the aged care sector.

In jails, food varies between prisons, security levels and different states. According to a spokesperson for the South Australian Department of Corrective Services, prisoners in low-security areas can plan, budget, buy and cook their meals.

Mr Allum supported this information and said that in lower security prison areas, inmates are given cans of tuna and packets of instant noodles, and are given the freedom to buy more food in the prison shop.

There are also alternative prison meals available for inmates with different cultural, religious and medical needs.

Meanwhile, in a 2018 report by the Australian Medical Association (AMA), it was discovered that Australian pensioners are ‘fed on just $6 a day’. Michael Gannon, who was president of the AMA at the time, claimed that more money is spent on his pet’s food.

‘My children’s guinea pigs get fresh ingredients and more money spent on them…It’s a national disgrace the way we treat our aged,’ he stated.
Key Takeaways

• In some instances, Australia's 43,000 prisoners are better fed than aged-care residents.
  • Prisoners in low-security areas can plan and cook their own meals, while in some minimum-security prisons groups of inmates can order food and cook together.
  • In contrast, Andrew Phelan’s mother at Regis Aged Care in Brighton, Melbourne was served cold fish and chips for dinner.
What are your thoughts on this story? Do you believe that prisoners are being treated better than those living in aged care facilities? Have you experienced this first-hand? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I won't get into the Prison versus Aged Care debate but I absolutely agree that Aged Care places are privately owned & are there to make a profit! Many years ago I was an Aged Care N.A. & one of the places I worked was actually OWNED by a guy who also owned Used Car Lots, this was his first, but not last, Nursing Home. He gave not a fluff about residents, the so called cook, was a young girl who had zero experience & was the sister of one of my fellow Nurses, cheaper than a qualified cook! There was supposed to have been an overhaul into improving Aged Care Facilities, but no one would know it! DO your research before placing family member or yourself into one of these places. Turn up for a look around unannounced at a reasonable time during the day, preferably a meal time. Check the cleanliness behind the scenes, not just where they show you. REPORT anything that is not to standard. Remember they are there for PROFIT not for residents.

Yes,My Little Tibbies,
I agree with you.👍And I know for a fact as I've been in most prisons in Victoria for work,that the prisoners both males and females are fed ,very well as well as having access to TVs, computers,library's,gyms swimming pools,heating in the winter,cooling in the summer etc,etc. And this is why a lot of released prisoners reoffend as they miss the lifestyle in prison. And that has been told to me by numerous inmates themselves. In one prison they even had pizza night once a fortnight where the prisoners were allowed to indulge in pizzas made in the prisons kitchen and served for dinner. From what I'm hearing/reading about what's going on in some of these nursing homes it's an absolute disgrace and what's even worse is that it appears that people in prisons are getting treated better than our elderly people.😔😥
You talk like a screw only Barwon do pizza the rest of prisons don’t prisoners in Barwon are doing long time you begrudge them bloody pizza

With My Aged Care taking so long to decide if someone is suitable for their packages. Is it any wonder folk turn to private nursing homes to care for their oldies when it gets too much for the me generation.? The only reason for putting someone in those places should be if they are physically unable to attend to their needs ie lifting or changing the bedding 5 times a day. As soon as you are 80 apply for a home care package so the year that you have to wait for their approval passes without you having to rely on it. Remember to tell them that you will expect to have more problems as you age. That way you can stay in your own home for longer & don't have to go into a home where profit is more important than the residents.

With My Aged Care taking so long to decide if someone is suitable for their packages. Is it any wonder folk turn to private nursing homes to care for their oldies when it gets too much for the me generation.? The only reason for putting someone in those places should be if they are physically unable to attend to their needs ie lifting or changing the bedding 5 times a day. As soon as you are 80 apply for a home care package so the year that you have to wait for their approval passes without you having to rely on it. Remember to tell them that you will expect to have more problems as you age. That way you can stay in your own home for longer & don't have to go into a home where profit is more important than the residents.
Get your facts correct before you open your big mouth Myagedcare is only call centre when you ph them they refer for assessment central east aged care assessment there are 4 levels you have to have level 4 to go into nursing home why don’t you ph Myagedcare and central east who do the assessment Re, nursing homes you only pay for what you get it’s like Victoria legal aid you have to be solicitor to commit crime
Roy Cooper words

A response sent in by Roy C.:

'Regarding noodles, not many people know about how dangerous they are. (I) have to eat in moderation like all food items, prisoners buy them by the box because they are cheap and nasty. They have to eat what they can; all foods are processed.

I have stated before the food in prison is s***. The good meal family I got my food from delivered at 12:05 am left it outside my door yesterday for 10 hours, my carer for Saturday and Sunday started at 10 am; it was 32 degrees yesterday .

I told my carer to throw it in the bin. I contacted the company they said you have to be specific on times delivery. I said business hours are 9 to 5 pm use some common sense. They never replied. I left a lovely review check it out this is how these low lifes treat the elderly, written by Roy C. ... it’s the truth.'