Shocking reports: Some of Australia's most vulnerable citizens are facing worse dietary standards than prisoners

Are Australia’s most vulnerable citizens receiving the care they deserve?

This question comes after a recent story brought to light an issue that is reportedly becoming common in Australia. In some cases, elderly residents living in aged-care facilities appear to be receiving sub-par meals. Recently, someone even went as far as comparing aged-care meals to the food served to prisoners, with an overwhelming consensus agreeing prisoners are eating better.

It appears that Australia’s 43,000 prisoners have better dietary standards than those living in some aged-care homes.

Some prisons allow their inmates to plan their own meals and order ingredients, which helps them cook delicious food using recipes from all over the world, including Mexican beef, Thai green curry, and peri-peri chicken.

food1.jpg
Inmates are allowed to cook their own food in some prisons. Credit: René Roa/Pexels

These meals were in stark contrast to the food served to residents in Regis Aged Care in Brighton, Melbourne, according to Andrew Phelan. His mum is a resident at the facility, which was recently awarded four out of five stars.

Mr Phelan alleged that his mum was given a ‘small handful’ of soggy chips, a kid-sized fish cocktail, and a blob of tartare sauce for dinner.

Meanwhile, ex-convict Jackson Allum (not his real name), who spent two years in several NSW jails of varying security levels, including Silverwater Correctional Complex, and Bathurst, Grafton, Junee, and Glen Innes correctional centres, recently revealed the prison food inmates ate, including what was considered a ‘special treat’.

Based on his account, the highlight of the menu rotation was a portion of chicken devil wings. For breakfast, inmates received cereal or bread. Lunch on weekdays consisted of about two defrosted sandwiches with rotating fillings of corned beef, tuna, ham and cheese, chicken, schnitzel, egg, and Vegemite.

For weekend lunches, sandwiches were swapped out for similarly defrosted sausage rolls or pigs in a blanket (frankfurts in pastry).

food2.jpg
Mexican beef, Thai green curry, and peri-peri chicken meatballs are some of the more exotic dishes served in some NSW prisons. Credit: NSW Corrective Services.

For dinner, prisoners were left with a rotation of oven-heated frozen meals such as curries, stews, and various iterations of meat-and-three-vegetables dinner.

‘They sound appetising, when you hear it, you’re like “beef with black bean sauce, that sounds pretty good,” but it’s not. But it’s not slop either. You know in the movies when they give you grey slop on a tray, it’s not like that,’ Mr Allum said.

In contrast, Mr Phelan shared that the cold fish and chips is what passes for dinner at the aged care facility in Melbourne, where two staff serve 12 people.

‘Mum's bed doesn't work. The food is cold. It's been left in Mum's room on a tray and if I wasn't here there's no way she would be able to get it,’ Mr Phelan said.

He added that he will be moving his mother to a new facility, saying: ‘How that place got 4 stars is beyond me.’

In a statement made by Dietitians Australia last year, experts are ‘urging the strained aged care sector to add food and nutrition to its priorities’.

Julie Dundon, an accredited Practising Dietitian and Aged Care Subject Matter Lead for the organisation, explained why residential homes and home carers must take immediate action.

She shared: ‘We know nutrition and mortality are closely linked to nutritious food with quality of life and better mental health. We’re deeply concerned by reports of food supply shortages and staffing issues resulting in grossly inadequate, or even missed meals in aged care facilities.

food3.jpg
Mr Phelan shared this photo on social media to show the state of his mum’s meals in the aged care residence. Credit: Twitter

Robert Hunt, the Chief Executive Officer of Dietitians Australia, explained in the media statement how malnutrition in the aged care sector has been a long-time concern for the organisation.

He explained: ‘It’s a shame that our nation would spend $10 a day feeding prisoners and only $6 a day feeding our elderly.’

He added that incentivising facilities to reach out for the assistance of a dietitian may offer support to workers and ‘boost the resilience of residents’ through proper nutrition.

Dietitians Australia has been advocating for the federal government to take critical steps that will address what they believe to be a ‘30-year pandemic’ of malnutrition in the aged care sector.

In jails, food varies between prisons, security levels and different states. According to a spokesperson for the South Australian Department of Corrective Services, prisoners in low-security areas can plan, budget, buy and cook their meals.

Mr Allum supported this information and said that in lower security prison areas, inmates are given cans of tuna and packets of instant noodles, and are given the freedom to buy more food in the prison shop.

There are also alternative prison meals available for inmates with different cultural, religious and medical needs.

Meanwhile, in a 2018 report by the Australian Medical Association (AMA), it was discovered that Australian pensioners are ‘fed on just $6 a day’. Michael Gannon, who was president of the AMA at the time, claimed that more money is spent on his pet’s food.

‘My children’s guinea pigs get fresh ingredients and more money spent on them…It’s a national disgrace the way we treat our aged,’ he stated.
Key Takeaways

• In some instances, Australia's 43,000 prisoners are better fed than aged-care residents.
  • Prisoners in low-security areas can plan and cook their own meals, while in some minimum-security prisons groups of inmates can order food and cook together.
  • In contrast, Andrew Phelan’s mother at Regis Aged Care in Brighton, Melbourne was served cold fish and chips for dinner.
What are your thoughts on this story? Do you believe that prisoners are being treated better than those living in aged care facilities? Have you experienced this first-hand? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I think in many ways this country is just dumping its aged in a place to die. My mother in law was in a facility where she just sat in her bed all day. The most the staff did was come in and turn on her tv as she was unable to get out of bed. In a previous facility they ran “events” like craft or a movie afternoon - all sorts of “interest” workshops. The staff would come and make sure she had a shower and made her get into her wheelchair so she was mobile and had a lovely garden out the window. . We were so sad when the family member “in charge” moved her to the cheaper facility where she just sat in a bed in a tiny room without interaction with other people. She asked me one day if I could bring her something to do. My husband and I took in a small mosaic kit and the excitement she had with us that afternoon making up a small photo frame was lovely but sad to see. We lived 4 hours away from the home and couldn’t visit as often as we would have liked. Anyway I just saw her wither away with loneliness and yes I would say neglect. Our aged deserve better than that. There are some good facilities as we saw but the cost also is prohibitive for some families.

This has been known about for so long and nothing happens for the elderly. The revolving door at the prisons is just about falling off. The prisoners pay no bills, have constant heating and cooling, fresh bedding, lights, tv, technology access, ability to study, food, bathroom facilities second to none, and dont forget, the prisoners get paid allowances for doing jobs. Prisoners can shop within the prison and its when they get out thats when they find out how much a packet of cigarettes and a can of coke cost and they are shocked. I know this first hand because I operate a shop directly across the road from a train station where those who have been released get dropped off and before their train arrives they opt to purchase those two items.
On the other side of the coin, our mum was in a nursing home (luckily a short stay of under 6 months prior to her passing) which was less than a kilometre from our family home and our dad used to spend at least 11 hours per day with her because they were so under staffed. If dad had an appointment that he had to keep for himself, he would make sure mum was asleep before he took off. Dad would often take little snacks for her and be there so she wouldnt be left on the loo for lengthy amounts of time, had they forgotten about her? was there a change of shift? NO, just grossly understaffed.
There is so much more to this mess, suffice to say the govt can build new prisons but cant build a new hospital that will fit the need.
There is so much more that needs to be done to assist our elderly.
Summary: its all about the money.

I think in many ways this country is just dumping its aged in a place to die. My mother in law was in a facility where she just sat in her bed all day. The most the staff did was come in and turn on her tv as she was unable to get out of bed. In a previous facility they ran “events” like craft or a movie afternoon - all sorts of “interest” workshops. The staff would come and make sure she had a shower and made her get into her wheelchair so she was mobile and had a lovely garden out the window. . We were so sad when the family member “in charge” moved her to the cheaper facility where she just sat in a bed in a tiny room without interaction with other people. She asked me one day if I could bring her something to do. My husband and I took in a small mosaic kit and the excitement she had with us that afternoon making up a small photo frame was lovely but sad to see. We lived 4 hours away from the home and couldn’t visit as often as we would have liked. Anyway I just saw her wither away with loneliness and yes I would say neglect. Our aged deserve better than that. There are some good facilities as we saw but the cost also is prohibitive for some families.
So sad.

This is not always true having had contact with some prisoners over the years they quite often don’t even have enough food for all prisoners every day and often they go hungry so it’s not just the aged that get sub par service

Reactions: Chris and Ricci

This question comes after a recent story brought to light an issue that is reportedly becoming common in Australia. In some cases, elderly residents living in aged-care facilities appear to be receiving sub-par meals. Recently, someone even went as far as comparing aged-care meals to the food served to prisoners, with an overwhelming consensus agreeing prisoners are eating better.

It appears that Australia’s 43,000 prisoners have better dietary standards than those living in some aged-care homes.

Some prisons allow their inmates to plan their own meals and order ingredients, which helps them cook delicious food using recipes from all over the world, including Mexican beef, Thai green curry, and peri-peri chicken.

View attachment 14523
Inmates are allowed to cook their own food in some prisons. Credit: René Roa/Pexels

These meals were in stark contrast to the food served to residents in Regis Aged Care in Brighton, Melbourne, according to Andrew Phelan. His mum is a resident at the facility, which was recently awarded four out of five stars.

Mr Phelan alleged that his mum was given a ‘small handful’ of soggy chips, a kid-sized fish cocktail, and a blob of tartare sauce for dinner.

Meanwhile, ex-convict Jackson (not his real name), who spent two years in several NSW jails of varying security levels, including Silverwater Correctional Complex, and Bathurst, Grafton, Junee, and Glen Innes correctional centres, recently revealed the prison food inmates ate, including what was considered a ‘special treat’.

Based on his account, the highlight of the menu rotation was a portion of chicken devil wings. For breakfast, inmates received cereal or bread. Lunch on weekdays consisted of about two defrosted sandwiches with rotating fillings of corned beef, tuna, ham and cheese, chicken, schnitzel, egg, and Vegemite.

For weekend lunches, sandwiches were swapped out for similarly defrosted sausage rolls or pigs in a blanket (frankfurts in pastry).

View attachment 14524
Mexican beef, Thai green curry, and peri-peri chicken meatballs are some of the more exotic dishes served in some NSW prisons. Credit: NSW Corrective Services.

For dinner, prisoners were left with a rotation of oven-heated frozen meals such as curries, stews, and various iterations of meat-and-three-vegetables dinner.

‘They sound appetising, when you hear it, you’re like “beef with black bean sauce, that sounds pretty good,” but it’s not. But it’s not slop either. You know in the movies when they give you grey slop on a tray, it’s not like that,’ Mr Allum said.

In contrast, Mr Phelan shared that the cold fish and chips is what passes for dinner at the aged care facility in Melbourne, where two staff serve 12 people.

‘Mum's bed doesn't work. The food is cold. It's been left in Mum's room on a tray and if I wasn't here there's no way she would be able to get it,’ Mr Phelan said.

He added that he will be moving his mother to a new facility, saying: ‘How that place got 4 stars is beyond me.’

In a statement made by Dietitians Australia last year, experts are ‘urging the strained aged care sector to add food and nutrition to its priorities’.

Julie Dundon, an accredited Practising Dietitian and Aged Care Subject Matter Lead for the organisation, explained why residential homes and home carers must take immediate action.

She shared: ‘We know nutrition and mortality are closely linked to nutritious food with quality of life and better mental health. We’re deeply concerned by reports of food supply shortages and staffing issues resulting in grossly inadequate, or even missed meals in aged care facilities.

View attachment 14525
Mr Phelan shared this photo on social media to show the state of his mum’s meals in the aged care residence. Credit: Twitter

Robert Hunt, the Chief Executive Officer of Dietitians Australia, explained in the media statement how malnutrition in the aged care sector has been a long-time concern for the organisation.

He explained: ‘It’s a shame that our nation would spend $10 a day feeding prisoners and only $6 a day feeding our elderly.’

He added that incentivising facilities to reach out for the assistance of a dietitian may offer support to workers and ‘boost the resilience of residents’ through proper nutrition.

Dietitians Australia has been advocating for the federal government to take critical steps that will address what they believe to be a ‘30-year pandemic’ of malnutrition in the aged care sector.

In jails, food varies between prisons, security levels and different states. According to a spokesperson for the South Australian Department of Corrective Services, prisoners in low-security areas can plan, budget, buy and cook their meals.

Mr Allum supported this information and said that in lower security prison areas, inmates are given cans of tuna and packets of instant noodles, and are given the freedom to buy more food in the prison shop.

There are also alternative prison meals available for inmates with different cultural, religious and medical needs.

Meanwhile, in a 2018 report by the Australian Medical Association (AMA), it was discovered that Australian pensioners are ‘fed on just $6 a day’. Michael Gannon, who was president of the AMA at the time, claimed that more money is spent on his pet’s food.

‘My children’s guinea pigs get fresh ingredients and more money spent on them…It’s a national disgrace the way we treat our aged,’ he stated.
Key Takeaways

• In some instances, Australia's 43,000 prisoners are better fed than aged-care residents.
  • Prisoners in low-security areas can plan and cook their own meals, while in some minimum-security prisons groups of inmates can order food and cook together.
  • In contrast, Andrew Phelan’s mother at Regis Aged Care in Brighton, Melbourne was served cold fish and chips for dinner.
What are your thoughts on this story? Do you believe that prisoners are being treated better than those living in aged care facilities? Have you experienced this first-hand? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
How about we FORCE the owners of these aged care facilities to eat the exact same food as they feed the elderly, for a month and not get anything else in between except maybe a cuppa. Lets see how they like it

A very good friend of mine was put in a nursing home by her family and against her wishes. She had a fall and ended up losing a leg above the knee. Family agreed amongst themselves she had to go into a nursing home. She was mentally alert and was always out and about doing things. We would go to the club and play hoy and bingo. Her family dumped her in a hospital and she was placed in a ward with dementia patients. She had an electric wheelchair and used to get around and she was the only resident who read the newspaper. I visited her quite often and the meals were disgusting. For dinner she was given a party pie and sausage roll with a splash of tomato sauce. She was a lady who had done all her cooking and loved her vegetables. She complained but nobody listened. She was broken in that atmosphere. She died a sad and lonely lady. Nursing homes need to look after the elderly better than they are.

View attachment 14523

Meanwhile, ex-convict Jackson (not his real name), who spent two years in several NSW jails of varying security levels, including Silverwater Correctional Complex, and Bathurst, Grafton, Junee, and Glen Innes correctional centres, recently revealed the prison food inmates ate, including what was considered a ‘special treat’.

View attachment 14524

View attachment 14525

Key Takeaways

I think too many people think aged care is something akin to the model used in one of the European countries it's not. Never, ever forget, these organisations that run aged care facilities are "FOR PROFIT" and are responsible to their shareholders to make a profit. Food is the first thing to go when it comes to cost cutting. Elderly people need a good dose of protein and that is very scarce in aged care homes. A place to go to die and that is what happens. How many died of neglect and lack of good food during covid. And it hasn't stopped. Now in a move that will kill many and make others sick and force them into the for profit medical and pharmaceutical system, Scotland is introducing meatless meals in schools, prisons and aged care. How many will die for this rot. Children need meat, what ever they do as adults is not the point. Vegans have been charged with criminal negligence for feeding kids their diet with the sad health results including deaths. What is it about all the rot going on in the world today. Meat is not dangerous it is our natural diet but they are all hell bent on stopping people eating it and killing off our kids and elderly. Everything for profit and nothing for care. Best advice, stay away from aged care if you can

Regarding the findings on Aged Care meals and meals for prisoners. This is below disgraceful.
Having worked in Aged Care in my later years as a nurse, this happened even back then. My Grandmother was in one, and when I found out some things that went on, I reported it and the place was closed down.
Also my husband was a Prison Officer and he would tell me that they ate better, and was surprised over the years what they were fed.

View attachment 14523

View attachment 14524

View attachment 14525

Key Takeaways

Food quantity and quality in prisons must be of acceptable amount BUT so should the food for our aged relations. Bear in mind the needs of older people is vastly reduced the older they get. One cannot expect an older person to be provided (and finish) the quantity a much younger person in prison could handle. Having said that, there definitely needs to be quality control in aged care and it needs to be fresher, properly presented and heated. Those in aged care who cannot help and feed themselves MUST be assisted by staff. Serve those who can help themselves first then serve and assist those who cannot by feeding them where necessary. Please, please don’t leave a tray of food on a table out of reach of an aged person, with or without disabilities, and expect them to access that food. If it is not touched when clearing away time comes check why, prompt and assist where required. You will become old in time, so look at it that way - do you want to go hungry and malnourished?

Reactions: Dee G and Bunyip57
As in every other issues, as long as the wealthy are looked after, the government doesn't care about the rest. I often wonder were the money magically appears from to provide funds overseas.
Yes our prime minister should learn charity begins at home, look after our elderly they deserve to be cared for, prisoners on the other hand deserve nothing but basic foods and care so they won’t want to come back.

View attachment 14523

View attachment 14524

View attachment 14525

Key Takeaways

I have had experience with aged care( mum in law) and the problem a lot of the time is that the elderly do not like the different kinds of food served . They had never had things like “chicken masala” “honey garlic chicken “ even beef bourguignon” before they entered nursing homes. My mum in law once gave me a list of the foods she didn’t know and there were at least 18 foods . We need to cook to their tastes not ours. We have grown up in multicultural society with variety but they did not, meat and veg( cooked well not raw) … and yes prisoners are fed better …

I have seen the poor food fed to our aged both in some hospitals & aged care. The food & drink is often placed out of reach. In one ward, if I had not attended to support my client EVERY day, neither she or the other orthopaedic patients would have even got near their food & drink before it was removed! NO staff ever helped feed patients with arms & legs in traction etc! No wonder patients suffered dehydration! In aged care, same story. Meals & drinks out of reach. Lack of personal care, left on toilet for 30- 40 minutes & then told off for ringing the bell for help! Not enough caring staff, not enough funding. All about profit or governments passing the buck to fir profit businesses! I’m DETERMINED never to go to aged care…it just hastens your trip to the grave!

Yes our prime minister should learn charity begins at home, look after our elderly they deserve to be cared for, prisoners on the other hand deserve nothing but basic foods and care so they won’t want to come back.
sadly we don't have a Prime Minister, but we do have a Prim Monster

Reactions: Bunyip57

View attachment 14523

View attachment 14524

View attachment 14525

Key Takeaways

Words are beyond me, it’s just so sad to think of our agecare facilities getting such crap food and prisoners getting the best, but then I suppose it comes down to who’s cooking it really 😡😓

This is not always true having had contact with some prisoners over the years they quite often don’t even have enough food for all prisoners every day and often they go hungry so it’s not just the aged that get sub par service
That is entirely untrue, I know people in the prison system and they all say that there is never a shortage of food, even though they may complain of other things, they never complain of the food. In fact most of them say they are fed better than on the outside.

View attachment 14523

View attachment 14524

View attachment 14525

Key Takeaways

Goes to show, crime pays.

Reactions: Go Cats