Shocking Price of a Woolworths Grocery Haul Reveals Living Cost Crisis

As Australians continue to struggle with the skyrocketing cost of living, one shopper recently revealed the shockingly high price he paid for a small grocery haul from Woolworths. The video, shared on social media, showed the man's haul of basic items like meat, fruit, vegetables and drinks totaling a staggering $384.63.

This seemingly outrageous total reflects the brutal reality of grocery prices in Australia right now. Compared to a year ago, food prices have risen by 7.5% – the highest increase since the early 2000s. Experts attribute this rapid inflation to a mix of global factors like supply chain disruptions, the war in Ukraine, and rising oil prices. For the average family already strained by higher mortgage repayments and utility bills, these price hikes have suddenly pushed groceries out of reach.

The shopper's video provides a sobering look at how a typical grocery run can now burn a hole in your wallet. The relatively small haul could barely fill one bag, yet the bill approached $400. Scrutinising the receipt reveals some particularly painful prices. A single baby formula rang up at $30. Even basic bacon cost $14 while a couple packs of sausages were $16. Fresh produce was no exception, with capsicums coming in at $6 each. For pensioners living on fixed incomes or single adults, bills like this bring true financial pain.

'I've started skipping meals to save money,' said Meredith Jones, age 65. 'My pension doesn't stretch as far anymore with food prices so out of control. I've lost weight because I often eat just one meal a day now.'

Screenshot 2023-11-15 092650.png
Yikes! A small grocery haul costs almost $400 in Woolworths. Image: Twitter / @clowndownunder

Other shoppers expressed outrage at the rising cost of staple items. '20 years ago, $50 of groceries could fill your whole cart. Now a child could carry what you get for $50,' lamented another commenter.

So how can the average shopper combat these crazy prices? Experts recommend shopping sales religiously, buying generic brands, and meal prepping to reduce waste. 'Make a detailed list and stick to it strictly. Don’t shop while hungry,' advised personal finance guru Suze Orman.

Planning and smart shopping are more crucial now than ever. In times like these, every cent matters, and knowledge of budgeting tips and strategies can help soften the blow of the groceries bill.

The first rule of thumb would be to plan your meals well in advance. Careful meal planning not only helps in curbing wasteful expenditure, but also in eliminating the need for frequent shopping trips and unsafe impulse buys. Using an old-fashioned notebook to list down meals for the week can make it easier to decide what to buy, and what to give a miss.

Be a student of prices, and an opportunist shopper. Keep an eye on products that are on sale and take advantage of these deals, especially on non-perishable items. Additionally, be open to substituting expensive brands or products with lower-cost and equally nutritious alternatives. A switch from expensive cuts of meat to cheaper cuts or plant proteins, or from brand name goods to store-brand can still ensure a healthy diet without straining the budget.

Consider buying items in bulk, but only those that you can use in large amounts within their expiry dates. Buying in bulk can significantly cut down on the cost per unit of the product. However, don't fall for the trap of buying more than you need just because it's cheaper.

Finally, avoid waste. Australians reportedly waste about 7.6 million tonnes of food every year. Adopting a 'zero waste' approach in your kitchen is not only environmentally friendly but also light on the pocket. This could mean using leftovers creatively, storing food properly, or simply not shopping for more than you need at a time.

In this era of rising grocery prices, it's essential to be smart about how and where we spend our hard-earned money. Remember, it's not only about sacrificing and cutting down – it's about making informed choices and strategically planning our spending. So, take charge of your grocery shopping!

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man has revealed on social media that he paid almost $400 for a small amount of groceries from Woolworths.
  • The video showing his small grocery haul has caused shock and calls for the Reserve Bank of Australia to address skyrocketing inflation rates.
  • A Canstar Blue report found the average Australian household spends $176 per week on groceries, with many Australians tightening their budgets due to increased utility bills.
  • This comes after another recent incident where a Melbourne cafe was criticised for charging $14 for a ham and cheese croissant.

While these tips can help, the reality is that grocery costs are crippling Aussie budgets. Have you drastically changed your shopping habits lately? What prices have shocked you the most? Share your thoughts and money-saving tactics below!

Sponsored
Watermelon, avocados, pies, cheese stringers, crushed garlic - need

Name the unnecessary items. Looks like a "normal" shop to me.
Looks normal to me as well.
He perhaps could have made a couple of different choices.
Bega lactose free slices or block 250g $7.50, not 120g stringers for $7.00
Woolies 1 litre lactose free milk $1.60 not $3.00 (saving $4.20)
Rockface deodorant $8.00 ,Rexona $6.00
Some simple little changes might help.

Watermelon, avocados, pies, cheese stringers, crushed garlic - need I go on?
What's wrong with those items, the only one I would say go without is the cheese stringers. I use crushed garlic all the time, I have arthritis in my hands and find it hard to crush or chop fresh garlic. Avocados are good for you. I would hardly even call a pack of pies unnecessary item. For a person on their own you could make four meals with some veg, or a cheap meal for a family of four.
Not everyone can afford fresh meat.
I would hardly call a watermelon an unnecessary extravagance.
What do you suggest he replaces these items with ?
People are so critical. You could pick holes in my shopping trolley also I could imagine, but my daughter has special needs, all her food needs blending after three bouts of oral cancer.
Nobody knows how other people live
and making cruel assumptions isn't helpful or necessary.

You cannot eat dishwasher tablets, toilet paper, etc. Sure, some of your replacements are necessary but not all. But then you cannot judge what another family's needs are unless you are living with them.
During the "Great Toilet Paper" shortage of 2021, I inquired why another shopper had in excess of 100 toilet rolls in his trolley. The question I posed to him was "Can you share some good recipes for toilet paper?" It garnered a few chuckles from other shoppers. Needless to say, the first shopper was asked to replace the toilet rolls in excess of a 24 pack back on the shelves!

Reactions: mylittletibbies
It’s a bit unfair to judge what people buy. Just because you don’t buy certain items doesn’t mean others have to do the same. Judge me for paying $9.20 for a small block of cheese! I’m sure someone would have a problem with that. And I won’t shop at Aldi lol

When item’s like capsicums are $6 dollars each don’t buy them and paying 18 dollars for rubbish party pies and sausage rolls should have gone to Aldi. Also take a good photo of your docket it’s a bit hard to scrutinise or maybe done on purpose. If they don’t have an Aldi look at local fresh produce market

Why is everyone complaining,we are lucky to beable to buy food at all. I'm on a pension I get what is necessary ,can still buy lunch out with friends on shopping day,do budget on some things but still manage well,and I have a car to maintain too.I know some people in hardship but surely there are ways to plan spending unless you have a lot of debt

Once again I offer some sensible ideas, go to Pinterest and look at the vast range of thrifty recipes. There are wartime recipe, depression recipes and huge amounts of interesting ideas on how to save money without going to food banks or eating out of Macdonalds bins. Just look at 1950’s cook books or prewar cookbooks and you will find really good nourishing food in spades. There are no excuses for not cooking from scratch. This idea that you can’t find a couple of hours a week to dedicate to doing an old fashioned cook up where you make pies, cakes, biscuits, casseroles was something we all did as young working women and we didn’t have childcare, child allowances were minute, and we didn’t have all the wonderful kitchen equipment that most homes have theses days, I didn’t have a washing machine for many years and had to make do with a copper for my sheets, I used cloth nappit’s and thank goodness napisan was available as well as my boiler. Make do and mend was the order of the day and holidays were something we longed for but usually it meant a picnic at a place we could walk to, maybe by a river, or a woods. My husband served in the armed forces for 25 years and we never knew where we would be from year to year. I was a nurse but there weren’t always hospitals near military bases but I would take on anything I could. So many modern couples have never had to go without but you can learn by reading cookbooks or go online. It’s not rocket science it’s good sense and a can do attitude. The first time you make anew recipe may take a while especially if it’s something using skills you’ve never practised but the second, third and fourth times are much quicker. Practise. Invest in a bread maker and bake good bread so cheap and it will repay you within 3-4 months and last years. Make old fashioned puddings both sweet and savoury, milk puddings are so good for children, semolina, rice, sago, macaroni. Steamed jam puddings, roll poly, fruit puddings cost so little as do pies and make a little go a long way. Homemade food isn’t difficult and if you usually Watch say an hour or more television a night or during the day then give it up and stop moaning about costs and get proactive. Go work in your kitchen and reap the rewards, you and your family or friends will benefit. We used to all spend a couple of hours making an agreed cake, pie, casserole or whatever and then we’d meet up at one of our homes and share out portions giving us an array of different meals with little effort. It was fun and we shopped bulk where possible. Try it. Get up an hour earlier or go to bed an hour later but make time to love yourself and your loved ones. It is a privilege to have a family many people do not and even if you are on your own much pleasure can be had by cooking, maybe you can give some to a friend or neighbour.

There seems to be quite a few of what I would classify as luxury items in that basket. As with Meredith Jones (mentioned in the post), I too have started rearranging my meals so I don't eat as much. Toast & maybe an egg for breakfast. Then I don't have my hot lunch until about 2.30-3pm. This way I can get away with just a piece of fruit for tea. I can't shop just for specials since I have to drive 45km to get to a decent supermarket so just have to pay whatever the price is on the day. It would be great to be able to duck down the shops every day or 2 when you know there are specials on but that, also, is a luxury.
Today is my shopping day. First go to Food Bank where there is a very limited supply & choice due to small country town then to supermarket for whatever else I need.
I’m the same, do my fortnightly big shop, then top up perishables as needed. I don’t live far from the shops but by the time you make multiple visits to the shops just to buy specials, the cost of the fuel you use would negate any savings you made, or cost you more than buying what you need in one trip.

Once again I offer some sensible ideas, go to Pinterest and look at the vast range of thrifty recipes. There are wartime recipe, depression recipes and huge amounts of interesting ideas on how to save money without going to food banks or eating out of Macdonalds bins. Just look at 1950’s cook books or prewar cookbooks and you will find really good nourishing food in spades. There are no excuses for not cooking from scratch. This idea that you can’t find a couple of hours a week to dedicate to doing an old fashioned cook up where you make pies, cakes, biscuits, casseroles was something we all did as young working women and we didn’t have childcare, child allowances were minute, and we didn’t have all the wonderful kitchen equipment that most homes have theses days, I didn’t have a washing machine for many years and had to make do with a copper for my sheets, I used cloth nappit’s and thank goodness napisan was available as well as my boiler. Make do and mend was the order of the day and holidays were something we longed for but usually it meant a picnic at a place we could walk to, maybe by a river, or a woods. My husband served in the armed forces for 25 years and we never knew where we would be from year to year. I was a nurse but there weren’t always hospitals near military bases but I would take on anything I could. So many modern couples have never had to go without but you can learn by reading cookbooks or go online. It’s not rocket science it’s good sense and a can do attitude. The first time you make anew recipe may take a while especially if it’s something using skills you’ve never practised but the second, third and fourth times are much quicker. Practise. Invest in a bread maker and bake good bread so cheap and it will repay you within 3-4 months and last years. Make old fashioned puddings both sweet and savoury, milk puddings are so good for children, semolina, rice, sago, macaroni. Steamed jam puddings, roll poly, fruit puddings cost so little as do pies and make a little go a long way. Homemade food isn’t difficult and if you usually Watch say an hour or more television a night or during the day then give it up and stop moaning about costs and get proactive. Go work in your kitchen and reap the rewards, you and your family or friends will benefit. We used to all spend a couple of hours making an agreed cake, pie, casserole or whatever and then we’d meet up at one of our homes and share out portions giving us an array of different meals with little effort. It was fun and we shopped bulk where possible. Try it. Get up an hour earlier or go to bed an hour later but make time to love yourself and your loved ones. It is a privilege to have a family many people do not and even if you are on your own much pleasure can be had by cooking, maybe you can give some to a friend or neighbour.
I love you, what wonderful advice.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I know it can be awkward living in a small country town, and also expensive.
Have you thought of shopping with one or two friends to save on petrol
costs.
I have to do a round trip of over 250ks to get to an Aldi store
I go fortnightly, do my main shop at Aldi and then do the specials and half price items at the other two.
There are many meals you can make for.cheap.
eg yesterday I made a tuna bake, one can of home brand tuna, a bottle of tuna bake sauce, some pasta and some cheese for the top
This makes four, or even six meals, for one person. I add some potatoes and.frozen mixed vegs. Cheapest to buy frozen veg, no wastage. I freeze these meals into containers
Also cooked up a tray of.chicken thighs I bought on special, shredded it up and made Nasi Goreng for tea last night, then made a chicken pasta bake, curried chicken, and a creamy chicken and bacon casserole. With veg, this made up into another 16 meals. Also saves on electricity by doing one big cook up. Plastic take away containers for freezing are cheap and can be used over and over
and I managed to fit all these meals in my fridge freezer..
Baked beans or an egg on toast is a quick and easy meal,.so much better than skipping a meal.
I have to fly to the mainland to get to an ALDI or a Cosco

This person claims they could put all those items in one bag, I think there’s more than that!
This person also claims they are a pensioner (65) why do they need to buy baby formula, half a watermelon and baby pacifier ? Read some of the docket items!

As Australians continue to struggle with the skyrocketing cost of living, one shopper recently revealed the shockingly high price he paid for a small grocery haul from Woolworths. The video, shared on social media, showed the man's haul of basic items like meat, fruit, vegetables and drinks totaling a staggering $384.63.

This seemingly outrageous total reflects the brutal reality of grocery prices in Australia right now. Compared to a year ago, food prices have risen by 7.5% – the highest increase since the early 2000s. Experts attribute this rapid inflation to a mix of global factors like supply chain disruptions, the war in Ukraine, and rising oil prices. For the average family already strained by higher mortgage repayments and utility bills, these price hikes have suddenly pushed groceries out of reach.

The shopper's video provides a sobering look at how a typical grocery run can now burn a hole in your wallet. The relatively small haul could barely fill one bag, yet the bill approached $400. Scrutinising the receipt reveals some particularly painful prices. A single baby formula rang up at $30. Even basic bacon cost $14 while a couple packs of sausages were $16. Fresh produce was no exception, with capsicums coming in at $6 each. For pensioners living on fixed incomes or single adults, bills like this bring true financial pain.

'I've started skipping meals to save money,' said Meredith Jones, age 65. 'My pension doesn't stretch as far anymore with food prices so out of control. I've lost weight because I often eat just one meal a day now.'

View attachment 34778
Yikes! A small grocery haul costs almost $400 in Woolworths. Image: Twitter / @clowndownunder

Other shoppers expressed outrage at the rising cost of staple items. '20 years ago, $50 of groceries could fill your whole cart. Now a child could carry what you get for $50,' lamented another commenter.

So how can the average shopper combat these crazy prices? Experts recommend shopping sales religiously, buying generic brands, and meal prepping to reduce waste. 'Make a detailed list and stick to it strictly. Don’t shop while hungry,' advised personal finance guru Suze Orman.

Planning and smart shopping are more crucial now than ever. In times like these, every cent matters, and knowledge of budgeting tips and strategies can help soften the blow of the groceries bill.

The first rule of thumb would be to plan your meals well in advance. Careful meal planning not only helps in curbing wasteful expenditure, but also in eliminating the need for frequent shopping trips and unsafe impulse buys. Using an old-fashioned notebook to list down meals for the week can make it easier to decide what to buy, and what to give a miss.

Be a student of prices, and an opportunist shopper. Keep an eye on products that are on sale and take advantage of these deals, especially on non-perishable items. Additionally, be open to substituting expensive brands or products with lower-cost and equally nutritious alternatives. A switch from expensive cuts of meat to cheaper cuts or plant proteins, or from brand name goods to store-brand can still ensure a healthy diet without straining the budget.

Consider buying items in bulk, but only those that you can use in large amounts within their expiry dates. Buying in bulk can significantly cut down on the cost per unit of the product. However, don't fall for the trap of buying more than you need just because it's cheaper.

Finally, avoid waste. Australians reportedly waste about 7.6 million tonnes of food every year. Adopting a 'zero waste' approach in your kitchen is not only environmentally friendly but also light on the pocket. This could mean using leftovers creatively, storing food properly, or simply not shopping for more than you need at a time.

In this era of rising grocery prices, it's essential to be smart about how and where we spend our hard-earned money. Remember, it's not only about sacrificing and cutting down – it's about making informed choices and strategically planning our spending. So, take charge of your grocery shopping!

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man has revealed on social media that he paid almost $400 for a small amount of groceries from Woolworths.
  • The video showing his small grocery haul has caused shock and calls for the Reserve Bank of Australia to address skyrocketing inflation rates.
  • A Canstar Blue report found the average Australian household spends $176 per week on groceries, with many Australians tightening their budgets due to increased utility bills.
  • This comes after another recent incident where a Melbourne cafe was criticised for charging $14 for a ham and cheese croissant.

While these tips can help, the reality is that grocery costs are crippling Aussie budgets. Have you drastically changed your shopping habits lately? What prices have shocked you the most? Share your thoughts and money-saving tactics below!

They keep saying prices of goods are rising due to external factors such as The Ukrainian war with Russia, oil prices and rising utilities, but most of our groceries are made locally so how does a war in Europe affect rising costs here! Oil prices are set to the Singaporean oil price while we have our own oil supply and refineries. Utilities are price gouging Australians where PRIVATIZATION hasn't worked for Australians. So it's about time the Federal government gets off their far arses and work for Australians. We should be able to farm our Kangaroos for a cheap and lean meat and the by products will create work. Etc, etc. Banks and supermarkets are making billions in profits off us so they should be regulated. Multi-nationals should be made to pay taxes as should all religious organizations. Exports should be for the benefit of Australians and NOT private companies and their billionaire owners. SHIT I sound like a communist!

Reactions: SandyM
This person claims they could put all those items in one bag, I think there’s more than that!
This person also claims they are a pensioner (65) why do they need to buy baby formula, half a watermelon and baby pacifier ? Read some of the docket items!
Believe it or not there are many grandparents out there bringing up babies and grandchildren, due to the addiction problems of their children.
It doesn't pay to assume what is going on in other people's lives.
I didn't realise you couldn't eat watermelon if you were 65, I've been breaking that rule for the last 11 years. I'd better keep an eye out for the watermelon police.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM

View attachment 34778

Key Takeaways

I recall the VERY FIRST purchase my new wife & I bought our supplies for the next week.

Note in included 2 x 200 carton of cigarettes. 6 paper bags of goodies. (Free bags & packed) .
Total cost a little over $7.00. 1967.

Reactions: mylittletibbies