Shocking photo at Qantas causes outrage: ‘Absolutely unacceptable’

When we entrust our belongings and beloved pets to an airline, we expect them to be treated with the utmost care and respect.

However, an incident involving Qantas has left passengers outraged and questioning the airline's commitment to the welfare of their possessions and furry friends.

A photograph capturing a scene at Sydney Airport has sparked an uproar among travellers and pet owners alike.

The image, taken by a concerned passenger, showed two trolley loads of luggage and pet carriers exposed during a heavy downpour.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 11.34.52 AM.png
Luggage and pet carriers were exposed during a heavy downpour. Credit: Facebook

The traveller's luggage 'came home wet' after being left out in the rain for an estimated 30 minutes on a day that marked Sydney's highest daily rainfall in two years.

‘Unfortunately, the weather was unavoidable, but this luggage was left out in the open in Sydney for 30 minutes and the animals for 15 minutes—one facing the rain,’ the woman wrote.

‘[I was on] the same flight, my luggage came home wet. Thinking a cover in these conditions would be nice,’ another passenger said.

Social media users were quick to condemn the airline's actions, with comments ranging from concerns about the animals' well-being to outright accusations of negligence.

‘Those poor fur babies. I'd report this if I saw it after flying my little dude to and from New Zealand,’ one person said.

‘I'm unimpressed by the luggage, but those pet carriers out there are absolutely unacceptable,’ a man wrote.

‘I'd be fuming if my boy was stuck on the tarmac in a cage in torrential rain, making an already stressful situation even worse.’

'Disgusting to leave those fur babies out in the rain. Almost animal abuse,' another comment read.

In defence of the airline, some pointed out that there is ‘the risk you take when you fly your animals’.

Qantas has responded to the backlash, stating that an urgent investigation is underway.

A spokeswoman for the airline assured that Qantas ‘takes the safety and welfare of travelling pets very seriously’.

She explained, ‘In weather conditions such as last Friday, we have a policy of keeping pets undercover until the very last moment that they need to leave the terminal to be loaded into the aircraft.’

It’s understood that Qantas offers customers the option to change pet bookings without charge in anticipation of extreme weather, a policy reportedly activated the day before the incident.

In a similar story, a Qantas passenger was shocked when he found something was written on his luggage.

The incident led to the baggage handler being banned from working on Qantas aircraft again.

What was written on his luggage? Read the story here to find out.
Key Takeaways

• Qantas is investigating after pets and suitcases were left in the rain at Sydney Airport.
  • The incident occurred on a day with heavy rain, with belongings left on the tarmac for up to 30 minutes.
  • Passengers accused Qantas of unacceptable treatment of luggage and pets in wet conditions.
  • A Qantas spokeswoman stated that the airline takes pet safety seriously and tries to keep them undercover in extreme weather.
Have you ever encountered similar issues while flying? How did the airline handle your concerns? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
My issue is when flying and you have to walk across the tarmac to reach the plane. When it is raining Qantas make no effort to offer courtesy umbrellas to passengers. Unless you have your own umbrella passengers get wet and have to sit on the flight in damp clothes. This has happened to flights I have been on several times. Im not sure what happens with other airlines.

A spokesperson said (it), 'takes the safety and welfare of travelling pets very seriously'.

This sure is a funny way of showing that safety & welfare l would suggest. Where are the motorised vehicles which took those trollies out there initially & where are the handlers who should be wearing wet weather gear while loading?

Qantas - is not the carrier it was, i used to consider it number one, but well down the queue now in my opinion

Reactions: Ezzy