Crude act to passenger gets Qantas baggage handler banned for life

Air travel can be a stressful experience, and the last thing any passenger wants is to be greeted with a crude note on their luggage.

Unfortunately, that's precisely what happened to one Qantas passenger, leading to a baggage handler being banned from ever working on Qantas aircraft again.

The incident occurred when a passenger collected his 31-kilogram Kathmandu bag at Karratha Airport in Western Australia.

To his shock, he found the word 'c**t' scribbled in green marker on the 'heavy' tag wrapped around the bag's handle, complete with an exclamation mark.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.39.54 AM.png
A Qantas passenger found a crude note on his bag. Credit: Facebook

'Clearly, the Qantas baggage handler at Perth Airport wasn’t happy lifting my bag,' the man shared on social media.

'He left me a nice note to read on arrival.'

The incident quickly gained traction online, with many expressing their outrage and urging the passenger to report the incident to Qantas.

'What a disrespectful so and so...not cool at all,' one person commented.

Others, however, took a more cynical view, suggesting the passenger was lucky to have received his luggage.

'At least you got your bag. Just flew Perth to Broome, and they left everyone’s bags in Perth,' a person revealed.

Upon being alerted to the incident, Qantas quickly condemned the act and took drastic measures to ensure it never happens again.

'This is clearly unacceptable behaviour,' a Qantas spokesperson said.

'Menzies, our ground handling provider at Perth Airport, has assured us that the baggage handler involved will never work on Qantas Group aircraft again.'

The airline has 'sincerely apologised' to the customer for the incident.

This incident comes amid Qantas being under fire for allegations of 'poor service' and forced 'downgrades'.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) even accused the airline of selling 'ghost flights' and launched legal action against them in August 2023.

Adding to the airline's woes, Qantas pilots based in Western Australia are set to strike for 24 hours on Thursday, February 8, amid a long-running pay dispute.

This could potentially disrupt mines with FIFO workers and regional flights.
Key Takeaways
  • A Qantas baggage handler wrote an offensive word on a customer's bag at Perth Airport, which led to their permanent removal from working on Qantas Group aircraft.
  • The passenger discovered the crude note on their heavy bag after a flight and shared it online, prompting widespread reactions.
  • Qantas has faced scrutiny and criticism for 'poor service' and other serious allegations in the past year.
  • Western Australia-based Qantas pilots are planning a strike, potentially affecting flights and illustrating ongoing pay disputes with the airline.
Have you ever experienced anything similar during your travels? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
F,.k Qantas, never been the same since they outsourced everything, maintenance, baggage handling and joice, how many times have I seen baggage handling videos online, throwing people's personal bags around by rock apes not realising they're being filmed.

they SAID they e wouldn't work for any OTHER qantas he is probably still with the SAME qantas

Did you read the article? Your favourite word is mentioned in the fourth paragraph. Did you lodge a complaint with the SDC staff?

Of course not.
I did see the word in the 4th paragraph and I just reread your comment. Obviously my brain has gone for a stroll. I thought you said you had never heard of it. I apologise, but still don't like the word and SDC are bringing the information to us so that is part of the story.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I flew Virgin airlines to Qld last August for my son's birthday, my luggage was completely destroyed, it's the first time I used the luggage, I asked the lady at the booth for some cling wrap to hold the contents inside the case, she said she didn't have any and handed me a complaint form to send in. My son had to hold the case against his chest to the car.
I had to purchase another case which cast me $240, I paid $125 for my other case. and was reimbursed $100 so I was out of pocket $165 all up, I'm on an aged pension. It was ironic as myself and the young man sitting next to me were watching the handlers throwing the cases onto a trolley and said lucky there's no glass in them casas, I think mine might have been on the bottom.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Iggydi
Wow. They must have a way to prove who wrote the note. Don’t believe they sacked anyone.
Actually the wording stated "
'Menzies, our ground handling provider at Perth Airport, has assured us that the baggage handler involved will never work on Qantas Group aircraft again.'
It did not say that he was sacked altogether. Very carefully worded.

Reactions: Iggydi
this is what happens with self check in. His luggage should have been split.
Weight limit coming back from Singapore is 30 kg…….Usually there is a counter dedicated to larger or awkward baggage…..Also, if baggage is overweight there is a fee charged, so effectively you are paying extra to have your overweight luggage handled properly just like everyone else. If your luggage is very overweight you might be asked to divide your luggage accordingly, maybe put something in your cabin luggage……If they take payment for a service then they should provide that service with a smile……….As an addendum, I personally will not fly Qantas out of choice….