Shocking on-air moment: Popular ABC radio host dramatically quits, claiming he's 'too spicy' for the job

The world of radio broadcasting can be difficult and turbulent, with changes and surprises often occurring at any given station.

But last Wednesday, November 15, a long-time ABC personality shocked listeners when he stepped down from his radio show—live on air.

In a surprising turn of events, ABC radio host Josh Szeps announced his resignation during his Afternoons show.

The charismatic host, known for his candid and often controversial discussions, hinted that he felt increasingly stifled by the broadcaster's guidelines.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 091545.png
Josh Szeps announced his resignation on air last November 15. Credit: @joshszeps/Instagram

'Having truly rational, free conversations about controversial issues is risky these days,' Szeps told his listeners. 'The penalties for speaking bluntly, the penalties for trying to coax people out of their thought silos and echo chambers are very high.'

In a statement that stunned many listeners, Szeps declared, 'The bottom line is, I'm a bit too spicy for this gig.'

Szeps' departure from ABC raises questions about the freedom of speech within the broadcasting industry. His comments suggest a growing tension between the need for open, honest dialogue and the fear of backlash or penalties for discussing controversial topics.

Interestingly, Szeps' frustration with the constraints of his ABC role led him to expand his own podcast, Uncomfortable Conversations.

The podcast, which has become one of Australia's most successful interview shows with over three million downloads, allowed Szeps to engage in the kind of frank, no-holds-barred discussions that he felt were increasingly difficult to have on his ABC show.

The success and financial viability of his podcast may have played a role in his decision to leave ABC.

'Journalism needs more contrarians, not fewer. More risk takers, not fewer,' Szeps stated, positioning himself as a 'misfit' within the industry.

Despite his resignation, Szeps praised the ABC and its management. 'The ABC is the greatest institution in Australian public life,' he said. 'I believe it is the jewel in this country’s crown. I have no beef with ABC or its management.'

Szeps will remain with the network until the end of 2023, after which he plans to focus on independent projects, including his podcast and a new YouTube program set to launch early next year.

'I've had a blast on Afternoons, and I'm looking forward to having even spicier conversations on my own turf,' he said.

Szeps' departure will undoubtedly be a significant loss for ABC, given his strong listener base. ABC Radio Sydney Manager Steve Ahern commended Szeps, saying, 'Josh has been an exemplary presenter, and we'll miss him greatly. His mixture of playfulness, intellect and fearlessness is one of a kind.'

Key Takeaways
  • Radio host Josh Szeps announced his resignation live on air during his ABC Afternoons show, expressing a feeling of constraint regarding what he could publicly discuss on the network.
  • Szeps stated he's leaving due to the difficulty of having upfront, rational conversations about controversial issues, stating he's 'a bit too spicy' for his current role.
  • Despite his decision to leave, Szeps praised the ABC, calling it 'the greatest institution in Australian public life,' and reassured listeners that he will remain with the broadcaster until the end of 2023.
  • Szeps has plans to focus on independent projects moving forward, including his successful podcast Uncomfortable Conversations and starting a YouTube program next year.

What do you think about Szeps' decision to leave the show, members? Do you agree with his views on the need for more open and honest dialogue in the media? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and GranniCaz
Sponsored
The world of radio broadcasting can be difficult and turbulent, with changes and surprises often occurring at any given station.

But last Wednesday, November 15, a long-time ABC personality shocked listeners when he stepped down from his radio show—live on air.

In a surprising turn of events, ABC radio host Josh Szeps announced his resignation during his Afternoons show.

The charismatic host, known for his candid and often controversial discussions, hinted that he felt increasingly stifled by the broadcaster's guidelines.

View attachment 34967
Josh Szeps announced his resignation on air last November 15. Credit: @joshszeps/Instagram

'Having truly rational, free conversations about controversial issues is risky these days,' Szeps told his listeners. 'The penalties for speaking bluntly, the penalties for trying to coax people out of their thought silos and echo chambers are very high.'

In a statement that stunned many listeners, Szeps declared, 'The bottom line is, I'm a bit too spicy for this gig.'

Szeps' departure from ABC raises questions about the freedom of speech within the broadcasting industry. His comments suggest a growing tension between the need for open, honest dialogue and the fear of backlash or penalties for discussing controversial topics.

Interestingly, Szeps' frustration with the constraints of his ABC role led him to expand his own podcast, Uncomfortable Conversations.

The podcast, which has become one of Australia's most successful interview shows with over three million downloads, allowed Szeps to engage in the kind of frank, no-holds-barred discussions that he felt were increasingly difficult to have on his ABC show.

The success and financial viability of his podcast may have played a role in his decision to leave ABC.

'Journalism needs more contrarians, not fewer. More risk takers, not fewer,' Szeps stated, positioning himself as a 'misfit' within the industry.

Despite his resignation, Szeps praised the ABC and its management. 'The ABC is the greatest institution in Australian public life,' he said. 'I believe it is the jewel in this country’s crown. I have no beef with ABC or its management.'

Szeps will remain with the network until the end of 2023, after which he plans to focus on independent projects, including his podcast and a new YouTube program set to launch early next year.

'I've had a blast on Afternoons, and I'm looking forward to having even spicier conversations on my own turf,' he said.

Szeps' departure will undoubtedly be a significant loss for ABC, given his strong listener base. ABC Radio Sydney Manager Steve Ahern commended Szeps, saying, 'Josh has been an exemplary presenter, and we'll miss him greatly. His mixture of playfulness, intellect and fearlessness is one of a kind.'

Key Takeaways

• Radio host Josh Szeps announced his resignation live on air during his ABC Afternoons show, expressing a feeling of constraint regarding what he could publicly discuss on the network.
  • Szeps stated he's leaving due to the difficulty of having upfront, rational conversations about controversial issues, stating he's 'a bit too spicy' for his current role.
  • Despite his decision to leave, Szeps praised the ABC, calling it 'the greatest institution in Australian public life,' and reassured listeners that he will remain with the broadcaster until the end of 2023.
  • Szeps has plans to focus on independent projects moving forward, including his successful podcast Uncomfortable Conversations and starting a YouTube program next year.

What do you think about Szeps' decision to leave the show, members? Do you agree with his views on the need for more open and honest dialogue in the media? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

The COURAGE of his convictions! Confirming that which daily peppers the thoughts of a growing number of Australians; as reflected in the growing number of alternative news/information sources. Rebel news, The Friendly Jordies etc, etc, etc !! holding the ears of Australians who want, need and EXPECT truth in journalism, who support our whistleblowers and expect transparency across corporates, regulators and all tiers of government. May Josh Szeps’ courage instigate consciousness across the country 🙏

we need these people speaking out. I so hope he goes to a radio station who allows free thinking. I would listen. I am a 2gb fan While 4bc have those idiots on in the morning. off my list.
When I was living in Bundaberg, I used to listen to ABC Wide Bay that was compered by Trevor Chappell (of the underarm cricket incident) from midnight to the wee hours.

Highly entertaining!

Has he interviewed Albonese.....would like some honest in depth interview with our 'Leader'....with the proviso that the questions aren't slanted supporting the Labor Party policies.....like the ABC is renowned for.
Questions regarding the housing crisis and the proposed immigration numbers over the next five years, or the Economy and the current cost of living crisis including the outlook for interest rates in 2024/5. You know those sort of things that are impacting upon Australians on a daily basis.....but of course Albo is out of touch with most of what's going on in the Country on a daily basis because he's always overseas somewhere with his side piece.....Don't we have Ministers in office who can handle a lot of those things ? Finally as for giving more money to 'Aunty'.......not bloody likely out of my pocket anyway. MPO.

Has he interviewed Albonese.....would like some honest in depth interview with our 'Leader'....with the proviso that the questions aren't slanted supporting the Labor Party policies.....like the ABC is renowned for.
Questions regarding the housing crisis and the proposed immigration numbers over the next five years, or the Economy and the current cost of living crisis including the outlook for interest rates in 2024/5. You know those sort of things that are impacting upon Australians on a daily basis.....but of course Albo is out of touch with most of what's going on in the Country on a daily basis because he's always overseas somewhere with his side piece.....Don't we have Ministers in office who can handle a lot of those things ? Finally as for giving more money to 'Aunty'.......not bloody likely out of my pocket anyway. MPO.
Never understood the constant accusation of a connection between the ABC and the ALP. Do the ALP provide them with more funding than the LNP when in power?

When I was living in Bundaberg, I used to listen to ABC Wide Bay that was compered by Trevor Chappell (of the underarm cricket incident) from midnight to the wee hours.

Highly entertaining!
that still rankles but not blaming trevor. the idiot brother.

that still rankles but not blaming trevor. the idiot brother.
yep dead right.....totally rests on Greg's shoulders....he threw Trevor under the Bus and embarrassed our whole Country.

Highly entertaining!
Correction.....Fact Check

the Trevor Chappell YOU mention from the ABC, is NOT the namesake cricketer, and has NEVER played Cricket for Australia.

The ABC's Trevor Chappell who finished Overnights, after 23 years, now since August this year, presents ABC Afternoons in Victoria,12.30 to 3.30pm

more info

If you're going to make comments, and post them on this site, please make sure they're correct!!

Reactions: AlanQ
did he interview any conservative Prime Ministers? NO. So why is Albonese the only one your think should be interviewed? Sounds like he is more suited to unverified claptrap of Youtube or twitter etc. He isn't a journalist, just a commentator. Nothing the guy has said is to open up any discussion, just his opinion.

Reactions: magpie1
Correction.....Fact Check

the Trevor Chappell YOU mention from the ABC, is NOT the namesake cricketer, and has NEVER played Cricket for Australia.

The ABC's Trevor Chappell who finished Overnights, after 23 years, now since August this year, presents ABC Afternoons in Victoria,12.30 to 3.30pm

more info

If you're going to make comments, and post them on this site, please make sure they're correct!!
I forgot that you perfect in every respect. Did you know there are 45332 Trevor Chappells living in Queensland? I didn't either.

You have just set a dangerous precedent. Every word you utter on this forum will be checked with the finest toothed comb imaginable. Good luck!

I forgot that you perfect in every respect. Did you know there are 45332 Trevor Chappells living in Queensland? I didn't either.

You have just set a dangerous precedent. Every word you utter on this forum will be checked with the finest toothed comb imaginable. Good luck!
maybe also use a spell checker while you're at it. Be interested where you got that figure?