Shocking! Hotel manager reveals one surprising item you should NEVER unpack while checking-in

Hotel stays can feel like a luxurious getaway. From the comfortable beds and fluffy towels to room service and a break from the house chores—it’s essentially a breath of fresh air!

But, like everything in life, it comes with its own set of cautionary tales, one of which comes directly from someone who knows the hotel industry inside-out, a former hotel manager.

Imagine for a moment; you've just checked into your well-polished hotel room. You're excited to start your holiday, unpack, and freshen up a bit, but wait! There's one surprising item you should ALWAYS keep in your suitcase when you're staying at a hotel—your dear old toothbrush.

shutterstock_194646521.jpg
It might be best to hide your toothbrush when you’re staying at a hotel! Image source: Shutterstock.

Sounds odd, right? Now comes the shocking reason why.

Melissa Hanks, a former hotel manager, spilled the beans about an unsettling truth. She regaled us with horror stories of guests' toothbrushes being used for unorthodox purposes, chiefly cleaning the bathroom.

'Here is why you should not be rude to hotel staff or act like a total ‘A******’ your entire stay,' she said in a candid video.

'When turning your room while you’re staying at a hotel, I have heard about a housekeeper who cleans certain areas in bathrooms with a guest’s toothbrush... and you don’t want to have that near your mouth.'

In what some might consider a gag-inducing cautionary tale, Melissa implored travellers to pack their toothbrushes away during hotel stays. However, keen to clear her name, she quickly noted: 'Full disclaimer, I have never done things like this, and I would have definitely fired staff if I found out that they have done this.'

The video circulated like wildfire on the internet, invoking many disgusted, and rightfully so, responses. One admission went to say, 'In all my years of travel, I never once thought about this. Thank you.'

While another viewer shared his strategy: 'I don’t allow staff in my room while I’m there, the room is left clean and I tip.'

So next time you check into a hotel, remember:a small suitcase pocket is the ideal home for your toothbrush on your getaway. Safe, undisturbed, and away from any potential bathroom-cleaning adventures, it can wait for you until you need it.

Key Takeaways
  • Former hotel manager Melissa Hanks advised travellers to always pack away their toothbrushes when staying at a hotel.
  • She shared stories of disgruntled housekeepers from other hotels who used guests’ toothbrushes to clean the bathrooms.
  • Hanks plainly stated in her video that she never participated in such activities but has heard about this happening.
  • Many viewers expressed shock at the revelation, with some confessing that they never thought about this before.

What do you think of this story, members? If you were a housekeeper at a hotel and a guest didn’t treat you nicely, would you do this? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Hotel stays can feel like a luxurious getaway. From the comfortable beds and fluffy towels to room service and a break from the house chores—it’s essentially a breath of fresh air!

But, like everything in life, it comes with its own set of cautionary tales, one of which comes directly from someone who knows the hotel industry inside-out, a former hotel manager.

Imagine for a moment; you've just checked into your well-polished hotel room. You're excited to start your holiday, unpack, and freshen up a bit, but wait! There's one surprising item you should ALWAYS keep in your suitcase when you're staying at a hotel—your dear old toothbrush.

View attachment 26610
It might be best to hide your toothbrush when you’re staying at a hotel! Image source: Shutterstock.

Melissa Hanks, a former hotel manager, spilled the beans about an unsettling truth. She regaled us with horror stories of guests' toothbrushes being used for unorthodox purposes, chiefly cleaning the bathroom.

'Here is why you should not be rude to hotel staff or act like a total ‘A******’ your entire stay,' she said in a candid video.

'When turning your room while you’re staying at a hotel, I have heard about a housekeeper who cleans certain areas in bathrooms with a guest’s toothbrush... and you don’t want to have that near your mouth.'

In what some might consider a gag-inducing cautionary tale, Melissa implored travellers to pack their toothbrushes away during hotel stays. However, keen to clear her name, she quickly noted: 'Full disclaimer, I have never done things like this, and I would have definitely fired staff if I found out that they have done this.'

The video circulated like wildfire on the internet, invoking many disgusted, and rightfully so, responses. One admission went to say, 'In all my years of travel, I never once thought about this. Thank you.'

While another viewer shared his strategy: 'I don’t allow staff in my room while I’m there, the room is left clean and I tip.'

So next time you check into a hotel, remember:a small suitcase pocket is the ideal home for your toothbrush on your getaway. Safe, undisturbed, and away from any potential bathroom-cleaning adventures, it can wait for you until you need it.

Key Takeaways

• Former hotel manager Melissa Hanks advised travellers to always pack away their toothbrushes when staying at a hotel.
  • She shared stories of disgruntled housekeepers from other hotels who used guests’ toothbrushes to clean the bathrooms.
  • Hanks plainly stated in her video that she never participated in such activities but has heard about this happening.
  • Many viewers expressed shock at the revelation, with some confessing that they never thought about this before.

What do you think of this story, members? If you were a housekeeper at a hotel and a guest didn’t treat you nicely, would you do this? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!
That sounds illegal. if it actually isn't then it should be! Those who do it to people need the sack and thrown in jail. There is no excuse for that behaviour - it is not only filthy but could make someone seriously sick or kill them.
On the other hand customers should not be upsetting the staff either and maybe the management needs to lay out some rules there too.
Harmful revenge though is just despicable.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
I have also heard disgusting stories and witnessed a couple .... I boil the kettle and tip out the first load, and now take my own coffee mug on trips.

Reactions: Ricki
That sounds illegal. if it actually isn't then it should be! Those who do it to people need the sack and thrown in jail. There is no excuse for that behaviour - it is not only filthy but could make someone seriously sick or kill them.
On the other hand customers should not be upsetting the staff either and maybe the management needs to lay out some rules there too.
Harmful revenge though is just despicable.
Not justifying dirty acts but, remember these room cleaners, are low skilled / low paid people probably working split shifts or horrible hours. Probably dont enjoy the job and probably dont want to be there.
And then you turn up on a fun filled expensive holiday, and a bit of jealousy kicks in.
Unless you put in secret cameras, no-one is ever going to prove anything nafarious is happening.

Reactions: Ricki

View attachment 26610

Key Takeaways

Needs the toothbrush shoved where the sun don't shine ✨

View attachment 26610

Key Takeaways

I leave my tooth brush n paste in a holder designed for them in my make up bag it’s quite big one can hold my dryer to plus brushes etc

Reactions: Anoush
I leave my tooth brush n paste in a holder designed for them in my make up bag it’s quite big one can hold my dryer to plus brushes etc
I always do that as well and been known to lock my case,,I have heard stories of guests missing items from their luggage

Wow, that's quite the eye-opener of a story! 😲 It just goes to show that you never know what's happening behind the scenes, even in the most luxurious hotels. While I can't say I've ever thought about my toothbrush that way, it's definitely an interesting cautionary tale to keep in mind when traveling.I'm a big fan of traveling myself, and if you're ever planning a trip to Montreal, Canada, you should definitely check out my recommendations for the best hotels in Montreal Canada, and you'll find some fantastic options. It's not an ad, just a friendly tip for fellow travelers who want a great stay in a beautiful city.

Last edited: