Shocking hidden charge found on restaurant receipt: Could you be overpaying?

When dining out, we all expect to pay for the ambience, the service, and, of course, the delicious food.

But what happens when the bill arrives and an unexpected extra charge leaves us feeling slightly sour?

This is exactly what happened to one Aussie diner, sparking a conversation about restaurant pricing transparency and the legality of hidden fees.

The incident involved a seemingly straightforward meal at a local restaurant: two servings of beef pepper rice and a Pepsi Max.

The total came to $40.97, but the additional $4 surcharge caught the diner's eye and prompted a closer examination of the receipt.

1719281528629.png
Aussie diner frustrated by nearly $4 in hidden surcharges after a recent meal. Credit: Reddit

The diner's frustration was shared on social media, where they lamented the lack of signage indicating the extra fees and questioned the normalisation of such practices.

‘Almost bloody $4 in fees and not a single sign to be spotted. I noticed when I saw how much the transaction was on my phone because I thought, surely my meal wouldn’t have added up to that much?’ they said.

The issue is increasingly prevalent compared to previous years.

‘A few years ago, EFTPOS fees or any surcharges were displayed clearly at the counter. In fact, staff would usually go out of their way to let us know if there was a surcharge, how much it was for, and why it was there,’ they continued.

‘Now it seems nothing is actually priced the amount they advertise. Retailers are always adding some fees, even my local coffee shop will tack on an additional 15c to my order.’

‘Are EFTPOS fees and surcharges just normalised now?’

‘I wonder how much money I’m actually spending on fees a year now.’

The outrage expressed online over this 'hidden cost' crisis is palpable.

Some commenters view these charges as a sneaky way businesses can extract more money from customers.

‘This is the ‘hidden cost’ crisis we are currently going through,’ one person commented.

‘Cash is not free either. You need to pay staff to go to the bank to make up a float, to drop the express deposit envelope into the night safe at the end of the day.’

‘Saturday Surcharge? Where’s the ‘Breathing The Restaurant Air Surcharge?’ What a bunch of bloodsucking insidious mozzies,’ another mentioned.

Confronted with what the diner described as a rising occurrence of undisclosed fees by restaurants and retailers, they questioned its legality to users on the forum.

‘The fees are never explained nor are they listed anywhere in the shop, they just hand you the EFTPOS machine without saying a word. I can’t help but feel scammed,’ they diner exclaimed.

‘Is this even legal?’

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), businesses must display any surcharges, including the specific percentage and the days they apply.

If a business fails to do so, it could violate consumer law. The ACCC encourages customers to report instances of misleading pricing, which can inform their enforcement actions and help protect consumer rights.

Despite the legal requirements, some feel that enforcement is lacking. They describe it as a law that's only as good as its enforcement; it’s a law that has no teeth.

This sentiment underscores the frustration felt by consumers who believe that the rules are not being adequately upheld.

However, others argue that the more pressing concern is the inflationary pressures impacting small businesses.

‘Cafes and restaurants are really struggling and the only way they see forward is to start hiding extra fees like this,’ one said.

‘We need to stop doing bull**** like this. But then we’d have to realise that in Australia today, it is impossible for a cafe or restaurant to make a beef rice bowl for $16.50 because of inflation.’ another mentioned.

Similarly, a Sydney car dealership was scrutinised for imposing a $55 surcharge on cash payments.

A local shopper criticised this surcharge as an 'insult', contradicting the usual practice of avoiding additional fees for cash transactions. You can read this story for further details here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian diner was shocked to find a $4 surcharge on their receipt that was not advertised in the restaurant.
  • The additional surcharge consisted of a 0.79 per cent card fee and a 10 per cent Saturday surcharge, which the diner believed is becoming a more common practice.
  • The ACCC stated that businesses must display any card or weekend surcharges, and failure to do so could be breaking the law.
  • While some netizens criticised the enforcement of the rules, others suggest that the hidden fees might result from inflation affecting small businesses.
Have you encountered hidden fees while dining out? How did you handle the situation? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Come on guys, stop this misleading reporting, sound like News Ltd.

The story generally is making out the $4.00 is a bank fee, it's NOT. The credit card fee was 32 cents, yes CREDIT CARD fee. Most of that goes to Mastercard or Visa, NOT the bank.
Further, the $3.70 was a Saturday surcharge imposed by the restaurant, absolutely nothing to do with the bank or credit card companies.
I totally agree ... this disinformation suits the agenda of their cash campaign. Plus you can tell from most of the replies to this article that people have just believed that it is a credit card surcharge and have not looked any further to see that it was a weekend staffing surcharge. This is how News Ltd has managed to get away with all their lies ... people can't be bothered checking the veracity of what they read and just believe all the lies they are spoonfed!

Reactions: freedy50 and Knell
From the ACCC website.

Some restaurants and cafes charge a surcharge on certain days – usually weekends or public holidays.

Although this surcharge is unavoidable, they don't need to include this charge in the total price displayed for their products, as an exemption under the law applies to them.

However, if they charge such a surcharge, they must include these words on the menu:

A surcharge of [percentage] applies on [day or days].

These words must be at least as prominent as the most prominent price on the menu.

Consumers should be made aware of any weekend and public holiday surcharges that may apply before they decide to order or purchase products from restaurants and cafes. If the menu does not list prices, information about these surcharges must be displayed in some other prominent way.

And....

Businesses are generally able to set their own prices, including charging surcharges or fees. However, businesses must not mislead consumers about what they’ll be charged or why.

Consumers should be made aware of any surcharges or fees that may apply before they decide to order or purchase goods or services. Businesses should display any surcharges or fees in a prominent way so that consumers can easily and clearly see whether there are any additional costs that may apply before making a decision.

Example
A restaurant charges a 10% surcharge on Sundays, 15% on public holidays and a 5% surcharge Monday to Saturday on top of the prices displayed on its menu. There is no day a consumer can purchase an item at the price that is displayed on the menu, as a minimum of a 5% surcharge applies every day.

In this scenario, the business must include a 5% surcharge in the total price of its items as a single figure. Since a 5% surcharge applies every day of the week, it is now part of the minimum total cost of the restaurant's items.

The additional 5% surcharge on Sundays and 10% on public holidays must be disclosed by including the words on the menu as stated above.

Source:

No this is not normal, we had a business and had to close it in Covid-19 as because of all the lock down we could not get supplies for our customers. These Business can claim or this back on there tax. There is no valid reason for this as of Bank fee are Tax deductible. They are double dipping.
And they wonder WHY we are against the Banks stopping cash.

No this is not normal, we had a business and had to close it in Covid-19 as because of all the lock down we could not get supplies for our customers. These Business can claim or this back on there tax. There is no valid reason for this as of Bank fee are Tax deductible. They are double dipping.
And they wonder WHY we are against the Banks stopping cash.
This is NOT a bank charge ... have another look. It is a surcharge for weekends ... nothing to do with the method of payment. The credit surcharge was 30-odd cents. When they post articles like this they rely on people not bothering to look at the receipt themselves and just believing what they write.

Reactions: freedy50
A good story for this websites non stop agenda about card charges which they like winding up people about.:rolleyes:

Except this person was only charged a small amount of 32c for the credit/debit card fee and nowhere is mentioned about the Saturday charge which is about 10 times more which is the main argument!!!:rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: siameezer
I went in to buy 2 cups of Hot Chocolate at a bakery/coffe shop the other day and I had to pay $5:10 for each cup when I questioned why so dear as I had not paid that price recently the lady said oh they have gone up it used to be the same as a medium coffee $4:50 so it has suddenly jumped 60 cents then they said I have to pay a surcharge for using my card what a rort. Not a happy customer

Yes it is certainly money grabbing, I used EFTPOS at the local Tattslotto on Saturday and got told there is a surcharge after I received my tickets...JOKE. The country is pushing for a cashless society, and now we have all Business geting on the band wagon of ripping their customers off, Banks closing, sacking Staff because everyone are using Card since COVID, we are only suppose to exist, not live.