Shocking! Hairdresser to pay over $7,000 for a disastrous treatment—could this happen to you?

As they say, not all that glitters is gold.

That is a lesson that one salon customer from New South Wales learned the hard way when her hair was ‘severely damaged’ during treatment with a hairdresser.

Danielle Gold had her hair bleached and extensions applied by Simon Cahill (also known as Simon William), and while the treatment cost her a total of $1,091, the outcome was far from what she had expected.

Before the treatment, Cahill assessed that Gold’s hair was fit for both bleaching and extensions.

Following the first treatment, in which Gold’s hair was bleached, she pointed out a ‘noticeable yellow banding’ in her hair.

hairdresser-4666064_1280.jpg
The market size of the Hairdressing and Beauty Services industry in Australia is estimated at $7.9 billion in 2023. Image source: Pixabay

However, Cahill continued to apply the treatments.

Gold visited the salon on three separate occasions within a week, seeking to have the issues with her hair addressed.

During these visits, she informed Cahill that the extensions were causing her hair to break.

Despite these concerns, more toner treatment was applied a week later. On Gold's subsequent visit, Cahill suggested adding more hair extensions.

However, Gold pointed out that they were of the ‘wrong type’ for her hair. After they were installed, she found them challenging to brush, and they were visibly noticeable.

As a result of the treatments and attempts at rectification, Gold's hair worsened, becoming dry and matted, with evident gaps.

‘In my professional opinion, the services completed on Danielle’s hair were severely damaging causing large loss of hair quantity, bulk and length,’ another hairdresser who had seen Gold’s hair before and after the treatments said.

Gold also claimed that when her hair became damaged, Cahill recommended a wig.

In a bid to seek justice, Gold took her former hairdresser to court, claiming more than $12,000 compensation for both the treatment cost she had incurred as well as repairs and treatments.

After an in-depth examination of the case, a ruling was issued in Gold's favour.

woman-3288365_1280.jpg
Under Australian Consumer Law, hairdressers must ensure their services are provided with due care and skill. Image source: Pixabay

Jeniffer Drennan, General Member of the Civil and Administrative Tribunal, found that Cahill had, indeed, breached the Australian Consumer Law.

She went on to state that Cahill had not performed the works provided with ‘due care and skill’.

Drennan then ordered Cahill to pay Gold $7,862 for the cost of other services that would be required to restore her hair over the 24 months following the damaging treatment.

The $7,862 was on top of an initial $540 which had already been refunded, bringing the total awarded to Gold to $7,322.

Key Takeaways

• A NSW hairdresser was ordered by the Civil and Administrative Tribunal to pay over $7,000 to a client after a botched treatment caused severe damage to her hair.
  • The client, Danielle Gold, had her hair bleached and had extensions applied by hairdresser Simon Cahill. Following the treatment, Gold experienced issues including noticeable yellow banding, hair breakage and difficulty in brushing.
  • Gold made a claim for more than $12,000 compensation for both the original treatment and the subsequent repair costs, and showed evidence from another professional hairdresser confirming the damage caused by Cahill.
  • The tribunal found Cahill in breach of Australian Consumer Law for not performing the works with 'due care and skill', and ordered him to compensate Gold $7,322, considering the $540 he had already refunded her.
Members, have you encountered the same unsatisfactory salon services? How did you handle it? Please share your experiences in the comments below![/nextads]

Last edited:
Sponsored
The price some pay for artificial enhancements.
I have solved things for myself. After a traumatic period in my life, I had a sudden hair loss that has never come back. Very much like someone who has undergone chemotherapy.
It was something that made people look, but quite honestly, given what I had gone through I didn't really care what they said.
Hubby harped and harped until I relented and agreed to buy a wig. Just a plain one that resembled the hair that I used to have.
I wear it occasionally, however, find it much easier to just go with what I have. I get a buzz cut that starts from number one at the neck, then two, then three on the top. I pay $25 for a barber to do this for me every 9-10 weeks. Beats the heck out of all the salon charges out there.
In the end, we have to be happy with the person in the mirror or risk it becoming an expensive quest for perfection.

Reactions: Littleboy8