Shocking Family Rebellion: Why This French Actor's Dying Wish for His Dog Was Defiantly Ignored

The passing of a screen legend often leaves a trail of poignant stories and heartfelt tributes, but the death of French actor Alain Delon at the age of 88 has sparked a unique and controversial conversation about the bond between humans and their pets, and the ethical considerations surrounding end-of-life decisions.

Alain Delon, a cinematic icon whose career spanned over half a century, was not only known for his contributions to the film industry but also for his profound love for dogs. Throughout his lifetime, Delon sheltered 55 dogs, a testament to his compassion for canine companions. His final wish, however, has ignited a debate that has resonated far beyond his immediate family.

Delon had expressed a desire to be buried alongside his ten-year-old Belgian Malinois, Loubo. He envisioned a departure from this world that would not separate him from his beloved pet, even in death. In a heartfelt confession to Paris Match magazine in 2018, Delon referred to Loubo as 'my end-of-life dog...I love him like a child.' He elaborated on his wish, saying, 'If I die before him, I'll ask the vet to take us away together. He'll put him to sleep in my arms. I'd rather do that than know that he'll let himself die on my grave with so much suffering.'

1724371165956.png
Delon’s request to euthanise his dog Loubo and bury it with him sparks animal rights backlash. Credit: @anouchkadelon / Instagram

However, this wish was met with staunch opposition from animal rights groups and the public, leading to a family decision that would defy the late actor's request. The Fondation Brigitte Bardot, a French animal protection charity, along with the SPA (Société Protectrice des Animaux), France's equivalent of the RSPCA, strongly advocated against the euthanization of Loubo. The SPA even offered to rehome the dog, emphasizing that 'the life of an animal should not be conditioned by that of a human.'

In the wake of the backlash, Delon's daughter announced that the family would not euthanize Loubo, ensuring that the dog would continue to live with them. The charity relayed this decision to the public, stating, 'Many of you have sent us messages regarding the future of Loubo, Alain Delon's dog. He has his home and his family...Loubo will, of course, not be euthanised!'

While French law does not prohibit the euthanization of pets at the owner's request, it is ultimately up to veterinarians to decide whether to honour such wishes. In this case, the ethical considerations and public outcry have led to a decision that respects the life of Loubo while also honouring the memory of Delon in a different way.

Delon's love for dogs was so profound that he even established a chapel in a cemetery on the grounds of his home in Brulerie to hold the remains of at least 35 of his dogs. This sanctuary serves as a symbol of his enduring affection for his furry friends and his recognition of the significant role they played in his life.

The story of Alain Delon and Loubo raises important questions about the rights of animals, the responsibilities of pet ownership, and the complexities of human-animal relationships. It also serves as a reminder of the deep emotional connections we forge with our pets and the lengths to which we go to honour those bonds.

As we reflect on the life and legacy of Alain Delon, let us also consider the ethical dimensions of our wishes and the impact they have on the living beings we cherish. Loubo's continued life is a tribute to the love he shared with Delon and a testament to the actor's legacy as an animal lover.
Key Takeaways
  • Legendary French actor Alain Delon passed away at the age of 88 after battling cancer.
  • Delon had requested that his Belgian Malinois, Loubo, be euthanised and buried with him, a wish that prompted backlash from animal rights groups.
  • After the outcry, Delon's family decided that Loubo would not be euthanised and would continue to live with them, as confirmed by the Fondation Brigette Bardot.
  • The SPA, France's equivalent of the RSPCA, had offered to take in and rehome the dog, highlighting that an animal's life should not be determined by the life of its owner.
We invite our readers to share their thoughts on this delicate matter. Have you ever considered the future of your pets after your passing? How do you feel about the decision made by Alain Delon's family? Join the conversation and let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Many years ago in Adelaide, a new neighbour told me they had just moved from Perth and were looking to get a new kitten as they had put their previous cat to sleep when they left Perth. When I asked was it very ill, she said No, she believed it was cruel to move an animal to another city and a new home so they had it put down. As my 12 yr old said, perhaps when her children grow up and leave home they will put her down.

Many years ago in Adelaide, a new neighbour told me they had just moved from Perth and were looking to get a new kitten as they had put their previous cat to sleep when they left Perth. When I asked was it very ill, she said No, she believed it was cruel to move an animal to another city and a new home so they had it put down. As my 12 yr old said, perhaps when her children grow up and leave home they will put her down.
Now that’s cruel I moved from vic to tas and took my menagerie with me there is no way I would have put any of them down, or left them behind. And I was going over to open a new business as well, shows what an uncaring bitch she is, god help the new cat if she moves again. 😠

Last edited:
People like her should not be allowed to own animals.

As much as one feels bonded with any animal it must always remembered that dogs, cats and other loved pets do not think like humans do. Sure, they mourn the loss that seems like a human might, some even show extreme grief not only for their humans but also for their animal families. If the pets of a deceased person are in a secure home with love, food and play and visit a vet when needed, they will continue being themselves, even though they still remember their departed human. It is the human that imposes our emotions on animals.
I admit to preferring animals to many inhumane humans, including the person who had their poor trusting cat put down because they, I assume did not want to pay for the transporting etc. What a foolish comment that woman made. Agreed that some people should never be allowed to be custodians of any pet or animal. That goes for ALL backyard breeders as well.

Now that’s cruel I moved from vic to tas and took my menagerie with me there is no way I would have put any of them down, or left them behind. And I was going over to open a new business as well, shows what an uncaring bitch she is, god help the new cat if she moves again. 😠
In 2007, my cat Gizmo moved with me from the NSW South Coast to Bundaberg, Queensland and lived for a year until he succumbed to complications due to diabetes.

In 2008, I acquired Dora the Explorer and Feisty who travelled from Bundaberg to Melbourne in 2015. Unfortunately, Dora went bye bye in 2016 and Feisty lasted until early 2023. While having no cat in my life until April this year in Perth, I was adopted by Bronte, the 19 year old fluff nut, along with @DLHM.

Bronte Christmas 2023.jpeg

In my 65 years, I have been without a cat in my life for less than five years of my life.

In 2007, my cat Gizmo moved with me from the NSW South Coast to Bundaberg, Queensland and lived for a year until he succumbed to complications due to diabetes.

In 2008, I acquired Dora the Explorer and Feisty who travelled from Bundaberg to Melbourne in 2015. Unfortunately, Dora went bye bye in 2016 and Feisty lasted until early 2023. While having no cat in my life until April this year in Perth, I was adopted by Bronte, the 19 year old fluff nut, along with @DLHM.

View attachment 57272

In my 65 years, I have been without a cat in my life for less than five years of my life.
Bronte loves you too Veggie 💞

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
well what do you know dogs think. did i say they should not be treated humanely? i said not important. got you going.
Sorry to disagree with you Jest, but I think it is very important. I simply answered your question.
And yes, I know what my little dog is thinking. It's dinner time, I want to go out, she has my lead, I must be going for a walk, shall I go on.

Sorry to disagree with you Jest, but I think it is very important. I simply answered your question.
And yes, I know what my little dog is thinking. It's dinner time, I want to go out, she has my lead, I must be going for a walk, shall I go on.
do you have the mind of your dog or does the dog have a mind like yours?