Shocking discovery: What one ALDI customer found will leave you disgusted

We’ve all heard the saying ‘you get what you pay for’, but that doesn’t mean you should accept sub-par products—especially not from a big-name retailer like ALDI.

At least, that’s what one ALDI customer from Melbourne was thinking when he opened his loaf of bread and discovered something truly shocking.

The long-time ALDI customer claimed product quality and control has been dropping at the supermarket, despite prices rising substantially in recent weeks.

'I have always been a loyal customer of ALDI because of their good prices,' the man explained, saying he usually shops at the Springvale store.

'However, they seem to be getting expensive, and I’ve had a lot of issues with their products recently. [The] latest was with one of their bread products, which retails close to $4 nowadays, a hike from $2.75 some time back.'

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 9.35.23 AM.png
An ALDI customer discovers a dirty piece of plastic halfway through finishing a loaf of bread he had purchased at the store. Credit: Supplied

It seems the rising price of the loaf didn’t give him what he expected. In fact, when he got halfway through the bread, he noticed another old dirty plastic bag stuffed inside.

'I was utterly disgusted and nearly vomited,' he vented.

'I didn’t realise because the plastic packaging was dark green and not transparent. It was hidden underneath the dark green plastic colour and flattened out, so it was difficult to notice.'

‘I have bought items that were rotten from day one,’ he claimed.

compressed-9.jpeg
The frustrated shopper shared that he had previously purchased spoiled fruits and vegetables from ALDI. Credit: Shutterstock

‘Examples are peaches, cheese and even bread. I just sometimes disregard these issues so I chuck out the items and forget about it.’

While the customer claims he hadn’t noticed the second bag when selecting the loaf, it raises the question—how often do such incidents occur undetected?

Unfortunately, it appears ALDI customers have been voicing their dissatisfaction with the retailer for some time now, with one unhappy customer claiming: 'I remember when ALDI used to be cheaper. Sadly it isn’t anymore.'

ALDI has responded to the backlash over their increasing prices, claiming: 'Unfortunately, sometimes we have to increase prices due to rising production costs.

‘However, even when prices go up, we are committed to offering the lowest possible prices in the market. That is our promise to you.'

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 9.35.32 AM.png
The Melbourne-based shopper notes that he has run into more than his fair share of sub-par products from Aldi prior to this shocking discovery. Credit: Supplied

But is this promise still valid when it comes to product quality? And more importantly, have these rising production costs led to cut corners in health and safety?

It remains to be seen, but what we do know is that any shopper should have the right to expect a quality product from any retailer, and when that doesn’t happen, they should take it up with the business directly.

ALDI declined to comment on the matter but encouraged its customers to provide product feedback directly to them.

According to the retailer, shoppers can return any product they are not satisfied with for a full refund or replacement.

While low prices are essential, we'd argue that quality is of equal importance - after all, who wants to find a plastic bag in their much-loved loaf?

Key Takeaways
  • A loyal ALDI shopper discovered an old, dirty plastic bag stuffed inside his loaf of bread.
  • The customer noted a decline in product quality and an increase in prices at the supermarket chain.
  • The shopper has previously bought items from ALDI that were 'rotten from day one', including peaches, cheese, and bread.
  • Despite the disappointment and increased criticism from customers, ALDI assures that they are committed to offering the lowest possible prices in the market.

So, whether you’re swinging by your local supermarket or ordering online, remember to double-check your items, especially those pre-packed ones.

How would you handle this situation if you found a dirty piece of plastic in your bread? Do you have any similar supermarket tales to share? Let us know in the comments below—we’re all ears!

Sponsored
I avoid buying fruit and vegies and anything electrical at Aldi.
Fruit & veggies are sub-standard and I can get them at the local greengrocer a lot cheaper