Shocking Discovery: Passenger’s Outrage at What Jetstar Did to Their Suitcase—Find Out Why!

Traveling can be an exhilarating experience, filled with the promise of new sights and adventures. However, for one Australian traveler, the journey ended on a sour note when she arrived home in Adelaide to find her suitcase and its contents in a less-than-desirable state. The passenger, who had flown with the budget airline Jetstar, was dismayed to discover her belongings 'soaked' and her clothes discolored due to fabric dye streaking. The unfortunate incident left her questioning the airline's handling of her luggage and demanding an explanation.

'Jetstar please explain,' she implored online, sharing her frustration with the world. 'My new suitcase now smells [and] will probably go mouldy and everything inside is either wet or damaged.' The traveler speculated whether her suitcase had been 'sitting carelessly in the rain' and expressed her anger over the apparent neglect.

compressed-fred-rivett-3dkdPERS5Yk-unsplash.jpeg
An airline passenger criticised Jetstar after finding her suitcase wet inside. Image source: Unsplash

This is not an isolated incident. Luggage mishandling is a concern that many travelers share, and it's not exclusive to any one airline. In fact, earlier this year, there were reports of suitcases left out on the tarmac at Sydney airport during a downpour, and another couple traveling to Fiji with Qantas also found their belongings soaking wet upon arrival.

Travel expert Quentin Long explained to Yahoo News that luggage can sometimes be left exposed to the elements, depending on the airport's procedures. 'Obviously it's difficult to identify exactly what caused this, but my assumption would be rain,' he said. Long also highlighted that when purchasing a flight ticket, passengers are essentially agreeing to a contract that outlines acceptable wear and tear of belongings while in the airline's care.

However, if the damage exceeds normal wear and tear and is the fault of the airline, passengers may be entitled to compensation. A Jetstar spokesperson has since apologized for the incident and confirmed that the airline's customer care team is in contact with the passenger to offer further support.

So, what can travelers do to safeguard their luggage against such mishaps? Quentin Long suggests three simple measures:

1. Opt for hard cases: They offer better protection against the elements and physical damage compared to soft cases.
2. Mix belongings between suitcases: If traveling with a companion, distribute items across two cases to minimize the risk of total loss should one case get damaged.
3. Use a TSA lock with a rotating dial code: This can deter theft, but be sure to change the default code to something more secure.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we understand the importance of your belongings when you travel. They are not just items; they are memories, comforts, and sometimes necessities. That's why we encourage our members to take these precautions and always check the terms and conditions of your airline ticket regarding luggage handling.

We also recommend that you report any issues with your luggage immediately upon discovery. Keep a record of your communications with the airline and, if necessary, follow up with the relevant consumer protection agency in your state or territory.

Source: @ellyhudson/TikTok​

Key Takeaways

• An Australian traveller's suitcase and contents were soaked and damaged after a Jetstar flight, leading to frustration and a complaint to the airline.
  • The passenger expressed her dismay online and questioned if her luggage had been left in the rain.
  • Travel expert Quentin Long explained that luggage can be exposed to the elements at airports and outlined what is considered acceptable 'wear and tear' in the terms and conditions of a flight ticket.
  • A Jetstar spokesperson apologised for the incident and mentioned that the customer care team is providing further support to the affected passenger.

Have you ever experienced luggage mishaps during your travels? How did you handle the situation, and what advice would you give to fellow travelers? Share your stories and tips in the comments below, and let's help each other travel smarter!

Sponsored
I have flown twice in the past 12 months & both times my suitcase has been damaged to the extent that it had to be thrown out. The first time this happened I put in a claim which took 4 months for the airline to reimburse me $34.
The second time I had to catch a train & didn't have time to report it at the airport. No compensation for that one. Both bags were hard cases. The first looked like it had been run over & the second had one of the wheels torn off.
Baggage handlers need to be retrained to respect peoples property & not toss luggage around because it is easier that way than actually putting the cases down where they belong.

Reactions: Ezzy and Frustrated
I always carry essentials in.my carry on luggage. This includes medication and a change of clothes at least underwear. Then if luggage is.lost you can survive with a quick shop for a couple of t shirts or a visit to an.op shop

Reactions: Ezzy and Frustrated
I travelled to Qld last year with Virgin, my luggage was demolished by the handlers, the first-time id used it, I asked at the counter for at least some cling wrap to hold the luggage together, no go, the only thing holding my clothes in was the fabric lining, I was reimbursed $100, all up out of pocket over $200 as i had to buy new luggage plus what i paid for the damaged luggage, my tip, keep all receipts and your travel documents, just in the event something happens to your possessions.

Reactions: Ezzy
One of our suitcases was damaged some years ago. I now make it a priority to carry a roll of Duct Tape for such occassions. I have never had to use it yet but it really is a first aid kit on its own for these dilemmas.

Reactions: Joedgo