Shocking Discovery: How a 4kg Mystery Object Can Smash Through Your Windshield and Leave You Bloodied!

The open road can often bring unexpected adventures, but for 76-year-old Robyn Droste and her daughter Tanya, a routine drive along the Bruce Highway at North Lakes, just north of Brisbane, turned into a harrowing experience that they are unlikely to forget.

It was a typical Wednesday morning at 9.30am when the tranquility of their journey was shattered—quite literally—by a mysterious object that came crashing through their windscreen, leaving Robyn 'covered in blood' and concussed. The object, which the pair initially thought resembled a piece of clay pipe, was flung into the air after being run over by a van ahead of them.

The object's trajectory was such that it struck the bonnet of their car first, which only served to deflect it towards Robyn with even greater force. 'When it came up off the road, it hit the bonnet and [that] must have deflected it to the left-hand side,' Robyn recounted.

1721021332038.png
An elderly woman was hit by a mysterious object on the Bruce Highway, leaving her covered in blood. Credit: Shutterstock

The sudden impact was so swift and severe that Robyn didn't even see the object before it hit her. 'All I heard was Tanya yell, ‘Far out’. The next thing I know—I must have been hit but I didn’t really feel it—but I looked down and I had blood all down my shirt,' she said, describing the terrifying moment.

The aftermath of the incident saw Robyn with an egg-sized bump on her head, humorously noting it was the 'first egg I’ve had in my life'. Despite the shock and the injuries, she was rushed to the hospital, quickly stabilized, and released to recover at home the following day. Thankfully, Tanya escaped physical harm, though the emotional and psychological impact of such an event can often be just as damaging.

The car, however, was not so lucky, suffering significant damage in the ordeal. As for the mysterious object, it remains unidentified, with both women describing it as a solid piece of metal weighing approximately 4kg—a substantial hazard by any measure.

This incident serves as a stark reminder of the unpredictability of driving and the dangers that can arise from seemingly innocuous items on the road. It also highlights the importance of maintaining vigilance and being prepared for any eventuality while driving.

For our members at the Seniors Discount Club, this story is a cautionary tale. It's a reminder to always keep your eyes on the road and be aware of your surroundings. It's also a good time to review your car insurance policy to ensure you're covered for such unexpected events.

We encourage our readers to share their thoughts and any similar experiences in the comments below. Have you ever encountered road debris that posed a danger to you or your vehicle? How did you handle the situation, and what advice would you give to fellow drivers?
Key Takeaways
  • An elderly woman was struck by a mysterious object while travelling along the Bruce Highway with her daughter, leaving her covered in blood.
  • The object, thought to be a piece of clay pipe or solid metal weighing about 4kg, smashed through the windscreen after being flicked up by a van.
  • The 76-year-old victim, Robyn Droste, suffered a concussion and an egg-sized bump on her head but has been stabilised and is recovering at home.
  • The item that struck Droste has not been identified and her daughter's car was badly damaged during the incident.
And remember, if you have a story tip or a personal experience that you think could benefit others, don't hesitate to reach out to us. Your insights could help keep our community safe on the roads. Stay vigilant, stay safe, and let's look out for one another out there.

Sponsored
Probably fell off a Ute or truck. We were passed by a truck with car wrecks loaded on it on Parramatta Rod, pieces flew off one of the cars and hit
Our car. Police did not even bother to come as no one was injured. These loads are not covered

Reactions: Kevin. A.
It pays to keep your distance from any vehicle in front of you. So much debris from the road can be picked up by a vehicle's tires and flung in the direction of any vehicle travelling in either direction.