Shocking discovery at David Jones food hall stuns onlooker: ‘I was horrified’

David Jones, the iconic Australian department store, is known for its high-end fashion, homewares, and gourmet food halls.

However, a recent incident at one of its Sydney CBD locations has left shoppers feeling more than a little squeamish.

A group of rats was spotted feasting on the food hall's delicacies, turning a festive shopping experience into a stomach-churning spectacle.

Local comedian and DJ Matt Hey was the one to make the shocking discovery.

'I love seeing the David Jones Christmas window displays each year and after a late dinner, I decided to stop in and check them out on Elizabeth Street with some friends,' he told a news source.

'But I could hardly focus on the actual window displays because I was horrified to find multiple rats running through the store.'

Screenshot 2023-12-21 112554.png
Rodents were filmed running around a David Jones Christmas window display. Image: TikTok

In a video taken of the food hall, Matt and his friends are heard talking each time a rat runs by. 'Oh no,' he said as a rat went underneath a Christmas tree.

'The whole family's out to play,' he adds amid gasps as a rodent went back and forth.

The video, which has since gone viral on social media, shows the rats darting around the food hall, even helping themselves to a Lindt chocolate ball from a display.

'Turns out a creature was stirring, and it was a mouse,' Matt joked at the end of the video.

The incident has sparked a wave of reactions online, with some viewers vowing never to shop at David Jones again.

'Oh my God, I am never picking a Lindt ball out from there again,' one person said.

'I'm never walking into David Jones ever again,' another wrote.

'That's it, I'm switching to Myer,' someone remarked.

However, other people online argued it wasn’t an issue.

'It's basically every building in the CBD after dark,' a commenter said.

Another added: 'If you don't think this happens everywhere, you're kidding yourselves.'

This is not the first time a Sydney shop has had a rodent problem as just last year, a shopper filmed a large rat across the food court at Westfield Parramatta, and some other rodents were videoed running through the aisles of a Chemist Warehouse store in Newtown.

'I know Sydney CBD is infested with rats,' Matt told a news source, 'but to see them running through David Jones was hysterical. Even the most glamorous-looking department stores have to deal with rats.'

‘I don't think the rats caused too much harm, but I will say, they were much more entertaining than the ACTUAL window displays!’

In response to the video, David Jones said it has regular pest management and control processes in place, and has increased measures to ensure a clean and safe environment.

While the sight of rats in a high-end department store like David Jones may be shocking to some, it's a reminder of the unseen pest problem many retail stores, particularly those in urban areas, have to contend with.

Pest control in retail stores is a challenging task. It requires regular inspection and maintenance, as well as prompt action at the first sign of infestation.

Many stores have pest management programs in place, but as the incident at David Jones shows, even these measures are not always enough to keep the pests at bay.

For shoppers, seeing pests in a store can be off-putting, to say the least. It raises concerns about the cleanliness and safety of the products on sale.

However, it's important to remember that the presence of pests does not necessarily mean that the store is unclean or unsafe. By no means are we excusing an unsanitary retail environment, but it might be more of a reflection of the challenges of pest control in urban settings.

So, next time you're out shopping, spare a thought for the unseen battle that's going on behind the scenes to keep the pests at bay. And maybe check your chocolate ball before you bite into it!

You can watch Matt’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• A comedian and DJ, Matt Hey, captured footage of a rat infestation in a David Jones food hall in Sydney CBD, which he shared on social media.
  • The rats were seen running around the food display and helping themselves to Lindt chocolate balls.
  • David Jones responded by stating that they have regular pest management and control processes and have increased measures to maintain cleanliness and safety.
  • The viral video sparked various reactions from viewers, with some expressing dismay and others downplaying the incident as common in Sydney CBD buildings.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you ever encountered a similar situation while shopping? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
That is hilarious! David Jones was full of itself, same goes for Myer. Overpriced wankerism at its best. I always preferred Grace Brothers when I was younger.

Woolworths South Africa (no relation to the Australian Woolworths - contrary to misguided belief) deserves this scab on the face of the Australian retail sector. Enjoy your pet rodents!

David Jones, the iconic Australian department store, is known for its high-end fashion, homewares, and gourmet food halls.

However, a recent incident at one of its Sydney CBD locations has left shoppers feeling more than a little squeamish.

A group of rats was spotted feasting on the food hall's delicacies, turning a festive shopping experience into a stomach-churning spectacle.

'I love seeing the David Jones Christmas window displays each year and after a late dinner, I decided to stop in and check them out on Elizabeth Street with some friends,' he told a news source.

'But I could hardly focus on the actual window displays because I was horrified to find multiple rats running through the store.'

View attachment 38040
Rodents were filmed running around a David Jones Christmas window display. Image: TikTok

In a video taken of the food hall, Matt and his friends are heard talking each time a rat runs by. 'Oh no,' he said as a rat went underneath a Christmas tree.

'The whole family's out to play,' he adds amid gasps as a rodent went back and forth.

The video, which has since gone viral on social media, shows the rats darting around the food hall, even helping themselves to a Lindt chocolate ball from a display.

'Turns out a creature was stirring, and it was a mouse,' Matt joked at the end of the video.

The incident has sparked a wave of reactions online, with some viewers vowing never to shop at David Jones again.

'Oh my God, I am never picking a Lindt ball out from there again,' one person said.

Another added: 'If you don't think this happens everywhere, you're kidding yourselves.'

This is not the first time a Sydney shop has had a rodent problem as just last year, a shopper filmed a large rat across the food court at Westfield Parramatta, and some other rodents were videoed running through the aisles of a Chemist Warehouse store in Newtown.

'I know Sydney CBD is infested with rats,' Matt told a news source, 'but to see them running through David Jones was hysterical. Even the most glamorous-looking department stores have to deal with rats.'

‘I don't think the rats caused too much harm, but I will say, they were much more entertaining than the ACTUAL window displays!’

In response to the video, David Jones said it has regular pest management and control processes in place, and has increased measures to ensure a clean and safe environment.

While the sight of rats in a high-end department store like David Jones may be shocking to some, it's a reminder of the unseen pest problem many retail stores, particularly those in urban areas, have to contend with.

Pest control in retail stores is a challenging task. It requires regular inspection and maintenance, as well as prompt action at the first sign of infestation.

Many stores have pest management programs in place, but as the incident at David Jones shows, even these measures are not always enough to keep the pests at bay.

For shoppers, seeing pests in a store can be off-putting, to say the least. It raises concerns about the cleanliness and safety of the products on sale.

However, it's important to remember that the presence of pests does not necessarily mean that the store is unclean or unsafe. By no means are we excusing an unsanitary retail environment, but it might be more of a reflection of the challenges of pest control in urban settings.

So, next time you're out shopping, spare a thought for the unseen battle that's going on behind the scenes to keep the pests at bay. And maybe check your chocolate ball before you bite into it!

Key Takeaways

• A comedian and DJ, Matt Hey, captured footage of a rat infestation in a David Jones food hall in Sydney CBD, which he shared on social media.
  • The rats were seen running around the food display and helping themselves to Lindt chocolate balls.
  • David Jones responded by stating that they have regular pest management and control processes and have increased measures to maintain cleanliness and safety.
  • The viral video sparked various reactions from viewers, with some expressing dismay and others downplaying the incident as common in Sydney CBD buildings.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you ever encountered a similar situation while shopping? Share your experiences in the comments below.

PEOPLE - rats & cockroaches are now a way of life in EVERY country. Just remember the cleanest of places can have a problem with these little buggers.

“Cats and rats and elephants” - as the song goes - especially the cats and rats, are everywhere even if we cannot see them. Rats & mice do get through the smallest opening (not the elephants, though!). Rats get into your ceilings at night as well.

Has anyone stayed up all night in their garage or shed waiting for them? I bet you would see at least one, if not more, and perhaps hundreds of cockroaches scurrying around. All we and stores can do is get the yearly pest control done to TRY and eliminate them. Also as another line goes “while the cat’s away the mice are at play”.

Get over this person’s alarming video and get back to reality!. It does happen and happens in our homes also while we are asleep.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS & keep your food locked away from them if you can.

View attachment 38040

Key Takeaways

Seriously???? Let's be honest there are mice and rats everywhere and if you think different you are so wrong, might even be in your house and come out when you go to bed at night. They are here to stay so the best thing to do is just put traps down, not much else can be done.

Reactions: Knell and Jokee
I had thought I had seen (or read in this case) everything however on a recent community face book post - person posted a photo of a common rat, obviously suffering from rat bait - asking for id and advice - the number of posters suggested taking it to the vet followed by a lecture about using rat baits. A RAT! I love the Greens Voters!

I like possums - but prefer them not to be in my roof or falling down the fireplace chimney and running black soot through the house! It has happened to me, poor little poss!

Seriously???? Let's be honest there are mice and rats everywhere and if you think different you are so wrong, might even be in your house and come out when you go to bed at night. They are here to stay so the best thing to do is just put traps down, not much else can be done.
Some have two legs.

I had thought I had seen (or read in this case) everything however on a recent community face book post - person posted a photo of a common rat, obviously suffering from rat bait - asking for id and advice - the number of posters suggested taking it to the vet followed by a lecture about using rat baits. A RAT! I love the Greens Voters!
To be fair, I do care about wildlife but in this area lots of semi-rural with Horse, Alpacas, Hobby Farms that are at times knee deep in rats - only so many traps can be set. Who would think it abnormal to put a rat in the bin after a tap on the head?

you might not believe this but when i was sitting having coffee in surface paradise At Restaurant a rat ran right past me, and under my table they are everywhere. what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve.