Shocking details from a Coles grocery haul ignite a massive controversy – Are your shopping habits part of it?

As the cost of living continues to climb, Australians are feeling the pinch at the checkout, and a recent Coles grocery haul has sparked a major debate about what constitutes 'basic' essentials and the affordability of everyday items. A shopper's $72.89 bill for just eight items has many questioning whether their own shopping habits are sustainable in today's economic climate.

The shopper's haul, which included Coles brand items such as three litres of milk, one litre of Greek yogurt, 1.4 kg of chicken breast fillets, 600 grams of rump steak, 400 grams of cashews, 750 grams of almonds, and a 500-gram bag each of frozen diced mango and frozen raspberries, was shared on social media, prompting a flurry of reactions. The post, which came with a challenge to guess the total cost, revealed a staggering amount that left many Aussies empathizing with the sticker shock.

The debate quickly turned to the nature of the items purchased. While some sympathized with the shopper's concern over rising prices, others pointed out that items like rump steak, cashews, and almonds are traditionally seen as 'luxury' rather than 'essential'. This divide highlights a broader conversation about the changing nature of grocery shopping in Australia, where what was once considered a staple is now often viewed as a treat due to escalating prices.

compressed-coles.jpeg
A Coles shopper aired out their concerns about the continuous price increases for basic pantry staples. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot

Inflation, currently sitting at 3.6 per cent, is well above the Reserve Bank of Australia's target range of two to three per cent, and this is reflected in the cost of groceries. The impact is felt nationwide, but particularly in places like Tasmania and the Northern Territory, where limited supermarket competition drives prices even higher. A report from consumer group Choice found that Aldi, which is absent in these regions, often offers the lowest prices for a basket of average goods compared to Woolworths and Coles.

The report, which is part of a government-funded initiative to address cost-of-living concerns, suggests that shopping around can lead to significant savings. However, this isn't always an option for those living in areas with fewer supermarket choices. The federal government's review into a mandatory code of conduct between supermarkets and suppliers is ongoing, with the final report due by the end of June, which could potentially bring about changes to the industry and pricing.

In response to the Choice report, Coles and Woolworths have defended their pricing strategies, emphasizing their efforts to offer competitive prices and a wide range of products. Yet, the minimal price difference between the two giants raises questions about the effectiveness of competition in the market.

This incident and the ensuing debate underscore the complexities of grocery shopping in modern Australia. As prices continue to rise, consumers are forced to reassess what they consider essential and how they can best manage their budgets. It also highlights the need for increased competition and transparency in the supermarket sector to ensure that all Australians have access to affordable, quality groceries.

Key Takeaways

• A shopper's Coles grocery haul costing $72.89 for eight items ignited a debate about the rising cost of living in Australia.
  • Many social media users disagreed on whether items such as frozen berries, cashews, almonds, and rump steak can be considered 'basic' or 'luxury' essentials.
  • Research from consumer group Choice revealed Aldi as Australia's cheapest supermarket, while highlighting that Tasmanians and Northern Territorians face higher grocery prices due to a lack of Aldi stores.
  • The federal government is considering a mandatory code of conduct between supermarkets and suppliers, while Coles and Woolworths responded to the Choice report by emphasizing their product range, pricing, and customer choice.
Members of the Seniors Discount Club, we'd love to hear from you. Have you noticed a significant increase in your grocery bills? What strategies do you use to keep costs down? Do you consider items like nuts and steak to be luxuries, or are they part of your basic shopping list? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below, and let's navigate these challenging times together.

Sponsored
There is only one supermarket in my remote town and all the prices are exorbitant! It is IGA which nationally has a reputation for being among those with the consistently lowest prices. However, they forgot to tell our local store about that! It is famous for having empty shelves, hardly any choice and fresh foods on the point of not only expiry date arrival, but expiration necessitating burial! Who will rescue us poor ordinary folks from this tyranny and the starvation levels to which we are subjected? All the political parties spout platitudes about reducing the cost of living, but the only costs that I see consistently reduced are for junk foods that have virtually no nutritional value whatsoever, and merely promote the levels of sickness and obesity that we see all around us. Being overweight doesn't necessarily equate to overeating. It is more likely to be the result of unhealthy and harmful diets which are all to often, the only foods that many can afford to buy. Very sad.

The rump, cashews & almonds would have been the most expensive items on that list. And 3 litres of milk if bought in 3 separate litre cartons would cost a bit more than one 3 litre bottle, I presume.

Look at prices before you even pick up the item to put it into your trolley - you silly complainer.

There is only one supermarket in my remote town and all the prices are exorbitant! It is IGA which nationally has a reputation for being among those with the consistently lowest prices. However, they forgot to tell our local store about that! It is famous for having empty shelves, hardly any choice and fresh foods on the point of not only expiry date arrival, but expiration necessitating burial! Who will rescue us poor ordinary folks from this tyranny and the starvation levels to which we are subjected? All the political parties spout platitudes about reducing the cost of living, but the only costs that I see consistently reduced are for junk foods that have virtually no nutritional value whatsoever, and merely promote the levels of sickness and obesity that we see all around us. Being overweight doesn't necessarily equate to overeating. It is more likely to be the result of unhealthy and harmful diets which are all to often, the only foods that many can afford to buy. Very sad.
Do you live in the far north by any chance (and north of Glendambo)?. The town is famous for underground houses, churches, a famous motel??? I won't name it but I reckon I might know the Supermarket. Is the owner's attitude that "I'm the only supermarket here so I can charge what I like". To state in their local media that they are going to keep their prices low then suddenly increase them by about 25 %. Some products are are about double what they are in Adelaide. The previous owner was like and respected and was often see working in the supermarket. If you were a local they would attempt to get other products for you.Before change of ownership the owners had their own truck they brought down to Adelaide either once or twice a week to pick up their supplies. It's a pity Port Augusta is so far away and fuel is so expensive.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, part of the hassle is the high compensation paid to executive staff, while the workers have to watch the outgoings of the wages, would be good if we could go back to the pre Whitlam time and learn to live within our means.im retired small super, carefully watch the specials, living in regional Vic, dont have the privilege of getting deals from companies such as N Q R. but even then the prices on some items are expensive, keep hanging in guys, its going to get worse, the more rules the Govt have the more difficult it is !

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren
Was wondering how many members have noticed the price of cheese lately - regardless of brands - some block that I have purchased for years has risen from approx. $5 or so to over$10.00. Not sure if because we live in western Qld and not the big smoke or all overAust

Was wondering how many members have noticed the price of cheese lately - regardless of brands - some block that I have purchased for years has risen from approx. $5 or so to over$10.00. Not sure if because we live in western Qld and not the big smoke or all overAust
Nope my cheese hasn’t risen in vic I love my cheese.👍

Last edited: