Shocking cruise experience leaves Aussie family itching in anger

Cruises can be a fantastic way to explore and relax. Still, they can also come with unexpected challenges that make the trip shaky.

One woman vowed to 'never book' a cruise trip again after a nightmare that left a mark on her.

When Monica Robertson boarded the P&O Pacific Encounter with her family to celebrate her mum's 70th birthday, she expected a memorable experience filled with joy and celebration. Instead, the cruise left her covered in blisters.

When Robertson entered her room on the cruise ship, she sensed something was amiss.

As she tried to sleep, she 'could feel things crawling on me in the bed'.

Her fears were confirmed when she peeled back the sheets and discovered numerous bugs sharing the bed with her and her family.

The itching was intense, almost burning, and the bites soon turned into welts and blisters.

compressed-bed bug.jpeg
The Robertson Family's plans of a relaxing cruise trip turned into a head-scratching situation due to bed bug infestations. Image Credit: Pexels/Pixabay

Despite presenting live samples of the bugs, P&O staff denied Robertson's claim and said they were not bed bugs.

The staff inspected the room thoroughly and emphasised that no bed bugs were found.

Despite this inspection, the Robertsons took matters into their own hands.

They took a sample of the insects home and had them tested by a pest control expert, who confirmed her worst fears: they were bed bugs and had been in the room for at least three months.

The response from P&O was less than satisfactory: despite providing evidence of the bed bugs, the cruise did not offer an alternative room.

The family were also told to see the onboard doctor at their own expense.

When they inquired about compensation, they were bluntly told 'No'.

Upon returning home, the family sifted through their belongings, deciding what they could keep and throw away, as they feared possible infestation in their home.

The financial toll was significant, with Robertson claiming they were out of pocket thousands of dollars.

After complaining to P&O, the cruise line offered a meagre $377 refund or a $750 future cruise credit.

P&O's spokesperson stated that the company has 'strict protocols in place' to prevent such issues.

In a related article, cruise lines have warned against an emerging trend of passengers taking their mattresses out on balconies.

Cruise experts and past guests have raised concerns over the potential hygiene issues, which can also lead to bed bug infestations.

This is a cautionary tale for those planning to hop on a cruise anytime soon.

Researching and reading reviews about the ship and the company's handling of such incidents is essential.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, document everything, report it immediately, and seek proper medical attention.
Key Takeaways

• A woman endured a bed bug infestation during her P&O, resulting in severe itching and blistering.
  • Despite providing evidence of bed bugs to staff and experiencing discomfort, the cruise company maintained no bed bugs were found after a full room inspection.
  • The woman took a bed bug sample home, which a pest control expert confirmed had been present for at least three months.
  • P&O offered the affected passenger a $377 refund or a $750 future cruise credit but felt the response was inadequate given the severity of the infestation.
Have you ever had a similar, shaky experience on a cruise? Please share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
My partner and I often sail on P&O and have never had this problem. My question is how do bed bugs actually get on a ship?
By bringing the bug evidence back to Australia, has the passenger broken the law or did she declare it when arriving back to our shores?
Most likely they were brought on board via a passengers luggage from an infested home.

Bed bugs! Yuk! Since Covid -19 erupted I would never go on a cruise. My partner and I are dancers and always wanted to cruise, but there were also other outbreaks on cruises before Covid, like gastro, and I don't think they're safe. We know a couple who were on the Ruby Princess and they have long Covid, still after 4 years!

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Bed bugs! Yuk! Since Covid -19 erupted I would never go on a cruise. My partner and I are dancers and always wanted to cruise, but there were also other outbreaks on cruises before Covid, like gastro, and I don't think they're safe. We know a couple who were on the Ruby Princess and they have long Covid, still after 4 years!
You could pick up these illnesses in a supermarket or picture theatre or anywhere there are a lot people not only on ships.