Shocking checkout behaviour exposed by Coles shopper—is the younger generation to blame?

In a world where the pace of life seems ever-increasing, and technology is at our fingertips, it's easy to forget the importance of human interaction and the value of good old-fashioned customer service.

This was highlighted in a recent incident at Coles, which has sparked a fiery debate about generational attitudes towards helping others, particularly the elderly.

A Coles shopper, Mahlea, took to social media to share her dismay after witnessing what she described as an 'embarrassing' interaction between a teenage employee and an elderly customer at the self-serve checkout.

The incident, which unfolded during Mahlea's routine grocery run, left her feeling compelled to speak out about the lack of assistance offered to the senior shopper.

compressed-shutterstock_2430978521.jpeg
A shopper shared an 'embarrassing' interaction at a Coles self-serve checkout. Image Source: Shutterstock / AustralianCamera

According to Mahlea's account, an elderly man, who she estimated to be in his 80s, approached a young Coles employee for help obtaining a shopping bag.

‘He would have been like 15 years old, I think this kid was. This old man was like, “Oh, I need a bag. Could I please grab a bag?”. And the kid goes, “Yeah, they’re over there,”’ she said

The employee's nonchalant response toward the bags seemed dismissive to Mahlea, who felt that the situation warranted a more hands-on approach, given the customer's advanced age.

The situation escalated when the elderly man, after retrieving a bag, sought further assistance with the self-serve checkout process.

Mahlea shared that after retrieving the bag, the elderly man asked: ‘What do I do?’

‘And the kid walks up to him and goes, “You scan the barcode” ... I wanted to be like, “HELP HIM,”’ she added.

The teen's instruction was, in Mahlea's view, insufficient support for someone who might not be as tech-savvy as younger generations.

Mahlea's frustration was palpable as she recounted the incident, expressing her shock and urging others to instil values of courtesy and empathy in the younger generation.

Her plea to fellow and future parents was clear: raise children to be kinder and more helpful, especially towards the elderly.

She said, ‘Can we promise each other as people—I’m pregnant [and] I have a four-year-old—as people with young children or if you’re going to have kids, let’s not raise them to be that way because it’s f****** embarrassing.’

‘They have no emotional intelligence beyond, like, the internet... know it’s not all of them but if your kid is one of those ones, sort it out.’

The video quickly ignited a heated debate online, with many echoing Mahlea's sentiments that customer service, particularly from younger workers, is declining.

One user said, ‘Spot on! Just general manners and consideration all gone out the window.’

‘The newer generation is just not okay, they don’t wanna work and are so lazy,’ another added.

Some lamented the loss of basic manners and consideration, while others shared their experiences working in retail, noting a perceived lack of work ethic among some younger employees.

However, the conversation wasn't one-sided.

Several commenters came to the defence of the young worker, suggesting that inadequate training or previous negative experiences with customers could have influenced his behaviour.

They highlighted young workers' challenges, including dealing with customer abuse and the pressures of a first job.

One woman said, ‘Probably had 10 other “older people” shout at him about how there should be more people at checkouts! My son gives [exceptional] customer service but has still been shouted at, pushed, and lectured!’

Another user points out, ‘l think we need to give 15-year-olds a break. l remember sucking at my first job, but l ended up running multiple businesses. We have to remember that the teenage brain is still not fully developed.’

Source: TikTok / @mahlea__shaye

In response to the controversy, a Coles spokesperson emphasised the company's commitment to customer service, detailing the training and encouragement provided to team members to assist customers in various ways.

The spokesperson said, ‘Whether it be packing their bags effectively, offering to scan bulky items at the self-service checkout area for them, helping them to find an item in the store or even reaching a product that’s up high, it’s all about offering the best possible customer service experience for them so they come back time and time again.’

The spokesperson added, ‘We are constantly evolving and carrying out various training approaches with current and new team members across the country to ensure a seamless and efficient shopping experience for our customers.’
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper has expressed frustration over an encounter between a young employee and an elderly customer at a self-serve checkout.
  • The shopper, Mahlea, shared a video describing the interaction as 'embarrassing' and indicative of a perceived lack of manners from the younger generation.
  • Online reactions to the video included a mix of criticisms of the teen's customer service skills and defences, highlighting the need for proper training and understanding of the challenges faced by young workers.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that team members are trained to assist customers and continually strive to offer the best possible customer service experience.
This incident raises important questions about the expectations we place on customer service and the role of compassion in our interactions with others. It also highlights the potential generational divide in attitudes towards work and service.

While it is easy to point out the lack of customer service in recent times, it is also important to be empathetic.

In the past, we have covered stories about retail employees that would make you understand their plights and remind you that they’re human too.You can read one such story here.

Have you encountered similar situations? Do you believe there's a generational gap in customer service, or are these isolated incidents that don't reflect the attitudes of an entire age group? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
The complaining woman (Karen) not only didn't offer any help but found the time to get onto TikTok to berate the staff at the shop.

She also notes that she has a 4-year-old child and another on the way but has no problem using foul and offensive language in her video. What does that say about her respect for others?

Why didn't the person watching this happen offer to help the man?
Exactly, it's not only the young, older people are just as bad.
I was in ALDI a while ago when a young intellectually challenged man was 55 cents short for his shopping
The young girl on the checkout
didn't seem to quite know what to do and the poor chap was getting quite flustered and upset.
The people in the queue were grumbling and groaning about being held up
I went over and paid the 55cents for him. I mean a lousy 55 cents, what is wrong with people.
The poor guy was quite visibly upset,but he gave me the biggest smile and a big hug.
It made my day and only cost me 55 cents.

I was in ALDI a while ago when a young intellectually challenged man was 55 cents short for his shopping
didn't seem to quite know what to do and the poor chap was getting quite flustered and upset.
I went over and paid the 55cents for him. I mean a lousy 55 cents, what is wrong with people.
The poor guy was quite visibly upset,but he gave me the biggest smile and a big hug.
@mylittletibbies you are an example of those people who are sadly lacking in the general community. What a wonderful gesture!

Nothing about Karen stating she assisted. The kids response was somewhat correct, the man asked if 'I can grab a bag' not could she (please) grab him a bag.

The complaining woman (Karen) not only didn't offer any help but found the time to get onto TikTok to berate the staff at the shop.

She also notes that she has a 4-year-old child and another on the way but has no problem using foul and offensive language in her video. What does that say about her respect for others?
Talking of respect ,why do we call people that complain a Karen. Why not Helen,Cassie or Pinky.
I have a dear elderly friend who gets upset every time she hears that term. What does that say about respect. :rolleyes:

Consideration for young and old in shops is not a new problem. In 1954, as a 9 years old, I ground poppyseeds for my mother in a local, very busy delicatessens. An older gentleman asked nicely if I would grind his as well, so I did, Then a rather rude middle aged woman put her bag down and told me to grind that quickly as she was in a hurry. I told her it wasn’t my job and went to the counter, she followed and was quite abusive , till told by owner not to be rude to fellow customers.
I think a problem facing us as elderly and these youngsters, is that their contact with older people is often limited, and they are not taught to think. Of the needs of others.
Most young people are helpful if they understand that their attention is welcome or needed

So many of young kids working think that they are privileged little darlings. I taught my kids and grandkids that manners are free and so is respect for others especially the older generation. I know that most of the young kids are fantastic. Our granddaughter works in self serve and she has coped abuse mainly by the younger generation that think they are entitled to do or say whatever they want.

Did the complaining woman offer any help. This may have been the young kids first day on the job. And did she go to the service desk and complain. Or just have her few seconds of fame on social media.
It would be good to know if she did intervene because of the old saying:

'Doing nothing makes you part of the problem.'

I realise she's been on social media but useful and appropriate intervention would have been at the time the conduct occurred.

Posting online did not help the customer in his eighties on that day. He wasn't shown how to actually scan items and was not respected. Silence on that day likewise did not help the staff member to see (and learn from) the error of his ways.

Last edited:

The word "Karen" is a name for a girl/woman.

As such, it is a pleasant word.

Please don't denigrate every girl/woman named Karen by using the word as an insult.

You are all missing the bloody point. The old guy asked if he could go grab a bag himself, so the staff member said yes they are over there. End of story. If it was me at heading towards 80 asked the same question, I would expect to walk over myself and get my own bag. When we start expecting everyone to all but wipe our bums, we start to lose independence. Before you all jump on the bandwagon. He was obviously independent if doing his own shopping. I am not criticising those who need assist of any kind, be it walkers, scooters or whatever. I am commenting on those of us who can still be mobile with no assistance.

• Angry
Reactions: LeahI and siameezer
Maybe she did help the man you all assume she didn’t, and we don’t know this ! That kid hadn’t been taught General good manners no excuse for that one !
Yes, the article doesn't say if she did and I think it would have helped everyone if she had.

As for the teen staff member. All you need to do is witness behaviour in high schools these days to realise that manners have died.

Don't get me wrong, manners and considerate behaviour is taught, explicitly and through modelling in schools.

Students only spend 25 hours at school per week, the rest of the week which is the majority of their time is spent with family/friends.

Much of the good work done in schools is undone when away from positive influences.