Shocking announcement sparks fear for Ellen DeGeneres' life: Did she really pass away?

Ellen DeGeneres has been in the spotlight since the launch of her hit TV show 19 years ago.

But recently, the internet was abuzz over a shocking announcement that left many wondering if something more serious had happened to the 65-year-old television personality.

A social media post claimed Ellen had passed away, leading to thousands of other posts with 'condolences' through social media.

But thankfully for her fans, the claims couldn’t have been further from the truth–Ellen is very much alive and well!

She’s been regularly active on social media following the end of her popular show, from celebrating her 15th wedding anniversary with Portia de Rossi to answering questions from her newfound role as a 'chicken influencer'.

Photo_20230831_083034_0000.png
Ellen DeGeneres and her wife, Portia. Credit: @ellendegeneres/Instagram

'I just realised Ellen Degeneres isn't dead,' one user said on social media.

‘Why did I think Ellen was dead?’ Another asked.

This hasn’t been the first time the comedian has been the subject of a death hoax. The first one circulated in July 2020 after a controversial video was released on her talk show.

The hoax was reincarnated in 2022 and 2023–with the dedicated hashtag still going strong: #RIPEllen

Photo_20230831_083140_0000.png
The Ellen death hoax started in 2020 and continued in 2022 and 2023. Credit: X (Twitter)

As of writing, Ellen has not personally commented on the death hoax.

She’s not the only person who has experienced a celebrity death hoax. Several other famous names have become targets of malicious pranks, including Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Dolly Parton, Jimmy Fallon and Johnny Depp–to name a few.

However, these kinds of stories usually have a hidden agenda behind it. Some scammers often use celebrities to draw attention to financially motivated scams or other malicious material.

An example of a scam is spreading fake ads, displaying famous people endorsing a product. Of course, in reality, the celebrities had not made the endorsement.

ScamWatch received 200 reports of such scams in 2018, and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) sued Facebook in 2022 for promoting such ads on its platform.

But as for Ellen, no need to worry–she is doing great and enjoying caring for her chickens.

Here’s a recent video of her answering fans’ ‘pressing chicken questions’:

Key Takeaways

• Television personality Ellen DeGeneres has been the subject of multiple false death reports on social media between 2020 and 2023.
  • A death hoax recently circulated, causing considerable disarray among fans.
  • Ellen DeGeneres and her wife, Portia de Rossi, recently celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary, and Ellen remains active on social media.
  • Ellen has not officially commented on the recent death hoax, instead sharing personal updates on her social media channels.

Do you know another celebrity who also experienced a death hoax? How did you react? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Ok something young people were doing including my 18 year old to ne and posted my reaction on tictok.

I was watching TV.. my daughter was sitting next to me , then all of a sudden she said , omg Adelle passed away , I was WHAT...ARE YOU SERIOUS ...OMG WAS IT SUICIDE ...NO HOW DID SHE DIE, my expression was shock 😲.

Then she started laughing and told ne it was a joke and how it's what people are doing to their parents.

Oh well she got huge ammount of comments and likes and it made people laugh .

A few weeks ago my husband saw online that Bruce Willis died , my reply was it must be a hoax and it was. Now that was cruel with him being .

Ok something young people were doing including my 18 year old to ne and posted my reaction on tictok.

I was watching TV.. my daughter was sitting next to me , then all of a sudden she said , omg Adelle passed away , I was WHAT...ARE YOU SERIOUS ...OMG WAS IT SUICIDE ...NO HOW DID SHE DIE, my expression was shock 😲.

Then she started laughing and told ne it was a joke and how it's what people are doing to their parents.

Oh well she got huge ammount of comments and likes and it made people laugh .

A few weeks ago my husband saw online that Bruce Willis died , my reply was it must be a hoax and it was. Now that was cruel with him being .
Wow? I haven't heard of this joke before? That's awful, so do they film your reaction? Or is it just to trick you? I am very interested by this! It seems a bit mean?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I simply do not understand how telling your parents , friends etc that someone they know has died and then say no it's a joke ha ha. What is happening with people these days? Is it social media that's desensitising people? No longer face to face communication, no longer feeling empathy etc. Give me the good old days before internet, mobile phones- just a phone on the wall and a writing desk with writing pads for letters and leaning over the fence and talking to your neighbours. Sorry, I've digressed .:(

I'm sorry, I simply do not understand how telling your parents , friends etc that someone they know has died and then say no it's a joke ha ha. What is happening with people these days? Is it social media that's desensitising people? No longer face to face communication, no longer feeling empathy etc. Give me the good old days before internet, mobile phones- just a phone on the wall and a writing desk with writing pads for letters and leaning over the fence and talking to your neighbours. Sorry, I've digressed .:(
I couldn't agree more @Ricki it all seems very bizarre to me

Ellen DeGeneres has been in the spotlight since the launch of her hit TV show 19 years ago.

But recently, the internet was abuzz over a shocking announcement that left many wondering if something more serious had happened to the 65-year-old television personality.

A social media post claimed Ellen had passed away, leading to thousands of other posts with 'condolences' through social media.

But thankfully for her fans, the claims couldn’t have been further from the truth–Ellen is very much alive and well!

She’s been regularly active on social media following the end of her popular show, from celebrating her 15th wedding anniversary with Portia de Rossi to answering questions from her newfound role as a 'chicken influencer'.

View attachment 28726

This hasn’t been the first time the comedian has been the subject of a death hoax. The first one circulated in July 2020 after a controversial video was released on her talk show.

The hoax was reincarnated in 2022 and 2023–with the dedicated hashtag still going strong: #RIPEllen

View attachment 28725
The Ellen death hoax started in 2020 and continued in 2022 and 2023. Credit: X (Twitter)

She’s not the only person who has experienced a celebrity death hoax. Several other famous names have become targets of malicious pranks, including Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Dolly Parton, Jimmy Fallon and Johnny Depp–to name a few.

However, these kinds of stories usually have a hidden agenda behind it. Some scammers often use celebrities to draw attention to financially motivated scams or other malicious material.

An example of a scam is spreading fake ads, displaying famous people endorsing a product. Of course, in reality, the celebrities had not made the endorsement.

ScamWatch received 200 reports of such scams in 2018, and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) sued Facebook in 2022 for promoting such ads on its platform.

But as for Ellen, no need to worry–she is doing great and enjoying caring for her chickens.

Key Takeaways

• Television personality Ellen DeGeneres has been the subject of multiple false death reports on social media between 2020 and 2023.
  • Ellen DeGeneres and her wife, Portia de Rossi, recently celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary, and Ellen remains active on social media.
  • Ellen has not officially commented on the recent death hoax, instead sharing personal updates on her social media channels.

Do you know another celebrity who also experienced a death hoax? How did you react? Let us know in the comments below!

Who cares.??

View attachment 28726

View attachment 28725

Key Takeaways

don't have anything to do with *** people!

don't have anything to do with *** people!
I agree with you. Apparently she is a very,very nasty piece of work that treated people on the set of her now defunct tv show,like crap and was known as a notorious bully.. And that doesn't come from just one staff member,lots of them came forward and all said the same thing. Truth in numbers me thinks. Good that shes looking after chooks,probably the only ones who want anything to do with her and only that's because they get fed.!!😆