She thought she won $1000, but what this NSW woman discovered next will astound you!

In a delightful twist of fate, a Newcastle woman's casual lottery ticket purchase turned into a life-altering event when she misread her winning amount due to a small, yet significant, oversight – the commas. What she initially believed to be a modest $1,000 win was, in reality, a staggering $1 million windfall, making her one of the fortunate five division winners of the Saturday Lotto, each pocketing a handsome $1,012,896.39.

The woman's disbelief was palpable as she recounted her experience to the Lott, admitting that the commas had eluded her attention. 'I didn't look at all the commas,' she said, still reeling from the revelation. It took a phone call to her sister, who helped her comprehend the true scale of her newfound fortune, for the reality to sink in. 'I had to ring my sister as I just couldn't read it properly! Wow!' she exclaimed.

It's not every day that a spur-of-the-moment decision leads to a dream coming true, but for this Newcastle local, that's precisely what happened. She confessed that playing the Saturday Lotto wasn't a regular habit, and her decision to buy a ticket was made on a whim. Yet, this impulsive choice proved to be serendipitous. 'I'm just in shock. I can't believe it. It's always been a dream to win. This will completely change my life – put it that way!' she said, overwhelmed by the possibilities that lay ahead.

shutterstock_1453191074.jpg
A woman mistakenly thought her $1 million lotto win was $1,000. Credit: Shutterstock

The gravity of her win was such that it cost her sleep, with only two hours of rest since the discovery. However, her plans for the future are clear and grounded. She intends to invest her winnings wisely, starting with paying off her house and then following the guidance of a financial advisor to secure a comfortable nest egg for the years to come.

The winning numbers that transformed her life were 31, 30, 23, 29, 17, and 25, with supplementary numbers 6 and 14. The draw saw five division one winning entries – three from Victoria and one each from New South Wales and Queensland.

This heartwarming story serves as a reminder of the unexpected joys life can bring and the importance of double-checking those lottery tickets! It also highlights the responsible enjoyment of gambling and the resources available for those seeking help or information. For anyone needing assistance, the National Gambling Helpline at 1800 858 858 offers support, along with online counselling and various services across states and territories.

Key Takeaways
  • A NSW woman from Newcastle won $1 million in the Saturday Lotto, initially mistaking it for just $1000 due to misreading the commas in her prize amount.
  • She was one of five division winners sharing the prize, with her share amounting to $1,012,896.39.
  • Upon realising the true extent of her win, she expressed plans to pay off her house and invest the remainder of the money, seeking financial advice to create a nest egg for the future.
  • The article also includes the winning numbers for the draw and mentions the availability of various resources for responsible gambling advice and support.

To our dear readers at the Seniors Discount Club, we pose the question: What would you do if you were suddenly gifted with a $1 million prize? Would you travel, indulge in a long-held dream, or secure your family's future? Share your thoughts and dreams with us – after all, it's always fun to imagine 'what if.' And remember, always read the commas!

Sponsored