She suspected an affair, but his strange behaviour revealed an unexpected truth

Late last year, life drastically changed for 55-year-old Emma Ruscoe and her husband Sirnon, 58.

image2.png
Life drastically changed for 55-year-old Emma Ruscoe and her husband Sirnon, 58, from Solihull in West Midlands, UK. Image source: Emma Ruscoe.

The couple had been married for 31 years, and both lived an active and healthy life together. Or, at least, they had until recently.

Emma started to observe strange changes in her husband's behaviour, including becoming withdrawn and disinterested in going out with friends, strange arguments, and trouble on frequently travelled routes.

These changes had started occurring around the end of 2015, and Emma initially thought her husband might be having an affair. She was so worried that she was determined to get to the bottom of it.

image1.png
Emma initially thought her husband might be having an affair. Image source: Freepik.

Fortunately, that determination led to Emma and her husband eventually visiting their local GP, where they received an Alzheimer’s referral because of Simon’s rapidly deteriorating cognitive state.

After the initial referral, Simon received a letter in June 2018 saying he didn't have dementia – but his condition continued to get worse.

Emma eventually got the confirmation she had been desperately seeking – her husband wasn't being unfaithful, but he was suffering from early onset dementia. Despite the sadness of the diagnosis, Emma felt a real sense of relief that she now knew what was wrong.

'I can't fault my GP,' Emma says. 'They did refer us to the memory clinic, however, I think they should also be sign-posting people to the Alzheimer's Society as well. We would have gotten so much advice and support.'

image3.png
Emma is thankful she still has her husband by her side. Image source: Freepik.

Now, Emma and Simon are adjusting to life since the diagnosis as best they can. And although Simon's condition is continuing to worsen, Emma is thankful she still has her husband by her side.

'Watching the person I have grown up with disappear is heartbreaking,' says Emma. 'On bad days it feels like my heart is being ripped out, but on good days I think I am lucky that he is still here.'

This story is sadly all too familiar to a lot of us, who may also be caring for a partner suffering from dementia. If you are in the same position, the Dementia Australia website has resources and advice for those affected, and the dementia helpline should be your go-to contact if you wish to talk more about this complex disease.

In a country where almost 450,000 people live with dementia, Australia offers a wealth of support resources and organisations for those affected by this devastating disease. They offer comprehensive guidance, practical advice, and a network of individuals who understand profoundly the trials and tribulations related to the disease. Through these resources, many Australians have obtained comfort, actionable strategies and a sense of community.

Dementia Australia is one such organisation that plays a pivotal role in the lives of many Australian families. As the national organisation for people of all ages, living with all forms of dementia, their family and carers, it provides support services, education, and information on the disease. They resonate with Emma's belief – that no one should have to face dementia alone.

Another stellar resource is Carers Australia. This national body represents Australia's carers, advocating on their behalf, and providing crucial information and support. It’s no secret that caring for a loved one suffering from dementia can be emotionally and physically exhausting, Carers Australia seeks to alleviate some of this strain, offering resources to help caretakers care for themselves as well.

Then there’s the virtual platform, My Aged Care, that helps you find information about aged care services and what you need to do to receive them. It also offers an online assessment and useful connections to local support services.

Australia is brimming with numerous organisations and initiatives aimed at easing the burden of this difficult journey. These resources not only provide practical tools and advice, but also create a community – a family – that weathers the storm that dementia brings, together.

Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comment section below!

Sponsored
I have a friend with early onset, it is heartbreaking to see someone that was so active deteriorate to the point that a nursing home was the only option for her family 😞

If I am diagnosed with dementia I want to be euthanised!

Late last year, life drastically changed for 55-year-old Emma Ruscoe and her husband Sirnon, 58.

View attachment 26560
Life drastically changed for 55-year-old Emma Ruscoe and her husband Sirnon, 58, from Solihull in West Midlands, UK. Image source: Emma Ruscoe.

The couple had been married for 31 years, and both lived an active and healthy life together. Or, at least, they had until recently.

Emma started to observe strange changes in her husband's behaviour, including becoming withdrawn and disinterested in going out with friends, strange arguments, and trouble on frequently travelled routes.

These changes had started occurring around the end of 2015, and Emma initially thought her husband might be having an affair. She was so worried that she was determined to get to the bottom of it.

View attachment 26561
Emma initially thought her husband might be having an affair. Image source: Freepik.

Fortunately, that determination led to Emma and her husband eventually visiting their local GP, where they received an Alzheimer’s referral because of Simon’s rapidly deteriorating cognitive state.

After the initial referral, Simon received a letter in June 2018 saying he didn't have dementia – but his condition continued to get worse.

Emma eventually got the confirmation she had been desperately seeking – her husband wasn't being unfaithful, but he was suffering from early onset dementia. Despite the sadness of the diagnosis, Emma felt a real sense of relief that she now knew what was wrong.

'I can't fault my GP,' Emma says. 'They did refer us to the memory clinic, however, I think they should also be sign-posting people to the Alzheimer's Society as well. We would have gotten so much advice and support.'

View attachment 26562

Now, Emma and Simon are adjusting to life since the diagnosis as best they can. And although Simon's condition is continuing to worsen, Emma is thankful she still has her husband by her side.

'Watching the person I have grown up with disappear is heartbreaking,' says Emma. 'On bad days it feels like my heart is being ripped out, but on good days I think I am lucky that he is still here.'

This story is sadly all too familiar to a lot of us, who may also be caring for a partner suffering from dementia. If you are in the same position, the Dementia Australia website has resources and advice for those affected, and the dementia helpline should be your go-to contact if you wish to talk more about this complex disease.

In a country where almost 450,000 people live with dementia, Australia offers a wealth of support resources and organisations for those affected by this devastating disease. They offer comprehensive guidance, practical advice, and a network of individuals who understand profoundly the trials and tribulations related to the disease. Through these resources, many Australians have obtained comfort, actionable strategies and a sense of community.

Dementia Australia is one such organisation that plays a pivotal role in the lives of many Australian families. As the national organisation for people of all ages, living with all forms of dementia, their family and carers, it provides support services, education, and information on the disease. They resonate with Emma's belief – that no one should have to face dementia alone.

Another stellar resource is Carers Australia. This national body represents Australia's carers, advocating on their behalf, and providing crucial information and support. It’s no secret that caring for a loved one suffering from dementia can be emotionally and physically exhausting, Carers Australia seeks to alleviate some of this strain, offering resources to help caretakers care for themselves as well.

Then there’s the virtual platform, My Aged Care, that helps you find information about aged care services and what you need to do to receive them. It also offers an online assessment and useful connections to local support services.

Australia is brimming with numerous organisations and initiatives aimed at easing the burden of this difficult journey. These resources not only provide practical tools and advice, but also create a community – a family – that weathers the storm that dementia brings, together.

Although you say that your husband is slowky slipping away, you can do all you can to keep him cheerful even if your introduce his old friends as new ones , as long as everyones in on the secret what harm is done (as they say with positive thinking this insidious disease the one advantage is he will mett new friends everyday ) I do hope you don't think I'm being callous.

Reactions: Sylvsptr and 52KID
If I am diagnosed with dementia I want to be euthanised!
I totally get this & agree, especially as i live alone & would have no support network to care for me & wouldn't want to burden anyone with what I've been thru after what my dad (& our family) went thru with this rotten disease!

View attachment 26560

View attachment 26561

View attachment 26562

My best friend’s wife has Alzheimer’s & its heart breaking to see a previously vibrant woman become withdrawn & vague, can’t drive, can’t cook, can’t garden, can’t do so many things. It’s hard to know how best to help my friend deal with this situation.

Do a Joe Biden in front of a train, the driver will get over ther trauma of an accident, as nobody wil know it was a deliberate act.
So sad, just a rotten disease. If you are able to take your friend's wife on outings (my dad used to love going for a drive) or even just sit at their home with her even just once a week, that time away from or time out for your friend will free up space for them to do what they want or need to do

Do a Joe Biden in front of a train, the driver will get over ther trauma of an accident, as nobody wil know it was a deliberate act.
No the train driver will not get over it. There has just been a programmon tv about people risking their lives in front of trains and what it is doing to train drivers. To deliberately do that would ruin the train drivers life forever. That is not the solution as awful as this disease is!

Reactions: terri and 52KID
I have now 'lost touch' with my oldest friend of 63 years with this. We would email several times a month being geographically distant. Then with a sudden silence, I became concerned and was told he can no longer work out his computer. This is tragic for a highly technical person. He also being deaf, I cannot even phone him now. I send a card of hello now and then but I know we have had our last exchange 'communication' he is 87

No the train driver will not get over it. There has just been a programmon tv about people risking their lives in front of trains and what it is doing to train drivers. To deliberately do that would ruin the train drivers life forever. That is not the solution as awful as this disease is!
Was a pretty ridiculous comment, i jus choseto ignore it