My first car was a 1963 EJ holdebn
So was mine: 5-cylinder, 2-stroke (i.e., it never fired on all six cylinders and it took a litre of oil every time I filled the petrol tank.....). It handled like a pig! Driving to work at 5am midwinter with neither heating nor windscreen heater/demister was "character-building", as was wet-weather driving, relying only on cross-draught from the quarter-windows either side of the dash. That car cost me the equivalent of 3 weeks' clear pay back in 1975, and I've still never forgiven the 'mate' who saw me coming.......

Hi dibru!
I use to ride to school in the early 70’s. Along Ferry road in Southport. there was a GOGOMOBILE SHOWROOM on my way. I use to stop and look at them ! Few different colours too. It was there for few years I think. Though I can’t remember seeing many running around….
Do you remember the TV ads "Gogomobile " "not the dat".

So was mine: 5-cylinder, 2-stroke (i.e., it never fired on all six cylinders and it took a litre of oil every time I filled the petrol tank.....). It handled like a pig! Driving to work at 5am midwinter with neither heating nor windscreen heater/demister was "character-building", as was wet-weather driving, relying only on cross-draught from the quarter-windows either side of the dash. That car cost me the equivalent of 3 weeks' clear pay back in 1975, and I've still never forgiven the 'mate' who saw me coming.......
I bought one of the stick-on rear window demister that plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. I thought that was Prity high tech at the time. :ROFLMAO: 😂

I bought my first car in 1978. I left high school in 1976, and I got my first job in 1977, and I saved $40.00 every week. I gave my parents $40.00 board money, I kept $10.00 a week for my train and bus fare. Whatever was left was mine. My take home pay in 1977 without any overtime was $98.00. I saved for twelve-month until I saved $1000.00, and then went looking for my first car. I found a Second hand 1967 holden special advertised in the paper and that was mine. I had no money after that because it all went on rego, tires, fuel etc etc. I had the car for quite a few years and well after I got married in 1979. I did my own maintenance, and tune-ups. Our friends and I would all pile into the car and travel from Sydney to Wollongong playing "Bat out of hell" music album. Driving down the highway at full volume from my newly installed cassette player. Flared jeans, long hair and could not sing in tune to save our lives, but we had fun. Those were the days.
Reading your storey about saving, takes me back to thinking there were not many people like me. I started work in March 1966. My take home pay was $36.00 a fortnight. Gave mum $12 board, saved $12, and had had $12 for me. As my earlier post above showed a brought my first car in 1967. I purposely didn’t get my license until I was 18, because I new I would go out and buy the first bomb car I could find, for next to no money.
Saved for a year, and bought the EJ Holden.
I was in the CMF (now Army Reserve), and if I felt like a few stubbies, I would have them at the Diggers Mess at the princely sum of 9 cents a go. Those were the days.

Try again fumble fingers. 1 st car was a 1963 EJ Holden. Brought it from my sister in 1967. Only had a learners license at the time, so my mate (with a license), flew to Mackay to get it and drive back to Brisbane. Brought new, it was worth about 1,030 Quid. I paid 1,000 bucks. Great car. Didn’t have a radio. My little transistor hanging on the quarter widow was my in car entertainment. It needed to hang half in/half out of the car to get reception.
My grandmother had an EJ. The usual green and white. 3 on the tree. I never forget the smell of it! They weren’t large but we’re heavy! I actually have a 1961 dodge I play around with in the garage. Had a heap of cars during my time….