Severe storm causes power outages and train cancellations; Hume Freeway closes due to major truck crash

Victoria is currently grappling with a series of unfortunate events that have caused significant disruptions to the daily lives of its residents.

A truck crash on the Hume Freeway, coupled with severe storms, has led to widespread power outages and the cancellation of several train services.

The Hume Freeway, a critical artery for Victoria's road network, has been closed in the northbound direction at Donnybrook Road due to a truck collision.

The truck appears to have jack-knifed, causing a power pole to lean dangerously over the freeway.

The incident has resulted in a significant traffic backlog, with a seven-kilometre queue of vehicles near the Amaroo Road exit.

SDC 1.png
Storm hits Victoria and truck crashes along Hume Freeway. Image source: Freepik.

The Victorian Department of Transport has advised motorists heading away from Melbourne to divert via Donnybrook Road, Merriang Road, and the Wallan-Whittlesea Road to rejoin the freeway.

Delays for Melbourne-bound traffic have also been reported, starting at Beveridge and extending towards the crash site. It remains unclear when the freeway will be reopened.

Adding to the chaos, a severe storm has swept across the state, leaving tens of thousands of Victorians without power.

Major power companies have confirmed that over 30,000 customers have been affected, with outages reported in Port Melbourne, Keilor Downs, Taylors Lakes, Tarneit, and Melton in the city's west.

Regional areas such as Warrnambool, Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Rochester, and Kyabram have also been impacted.

Powercor has stated that the unplanned outages are under investigation. Meanwhile, crews are reportedly working to restore power.

The storms have also disrupted public transport, with some regional and metro train lines suspended.

Buses are replacing trains on the Craigieburn line between Broadmeadows and Craigieburn, on the Hurstbridge line between Greensborough and Hurstbridge, and on the Seymour/Shepparton line between Southern Cross, Wallan, and Seymour.

Public Transport Victoria has urged passengers to 'check station platform displays, listen for announcements, and allow extra time'.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning, forecasting more storms and possible flash flooding.

The thunderstorms are reportedly moving East and Southeast.

Drivers are being advised to avoid the roads due to dangerous conditions, including potential fallen trees.

'If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater,' the alert read.

'Avoid dangerous hazards such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.'

This series of events comes on the heels of the devastating storms and floods that claimed ten lives on Australia's East Coast over the Christmas and New Year period.

A separate severe thunderstorm warning has also been issued for parts of the Central, Mallee, Northern Country, North Central, and Wimmera districts.
Key Takeaways
  • All northbound lanes of the Hume Freeway were closed at Donnybrook Road due to a truck collision.
  • A severe storm in Victoria has caused over 30,000 people to lose power, and some train services have been suspended.
  • The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe weather warning, forecasting more storms that may lead to flash flooding.
  • The public has been advised to avoid dangerous conditions on the roads, such as floodwater and fallen trees, and to exercise caution during the wild weather.
Have you been affected by the recent disruptions in Victoria? Share your experiences and any tips you have for coping with such situations in the comments below.

Sponsored
Victoria is currently grappling with a series of unfortunate events that have caused significant disruptions to the daily lives of its residents.

A truck crash on the Hume Freeway, coupled with severe storms, has led to widespread power outages and the cancellation of several train services.

The Hume Freeway, a critical artery for Victoria's road network, has been closed in the northbound direction at Donnybrook Road due to a truck collision.

The truck appears to have jack-knifed, causing a power pole to lean dangerously over the freeway.

The incident has resulted in a significant traffic backlog, with a seven-kilometre queue of vehicles near the Amaroo Road exit.

View attachment 38517
Storm hits Victoria and truck crashes along Hume Freeway. Image source: Freepik.

The Victorian Department of Transport has advised motorists heading away from Melbourne to divert via Donnybrook Road, Merriang Road, and the Wallan-Whittlesea Road to rejoin the freeway.

Delays for Melbourne-bound traffic have also been reported, starting at Beveridge and extending towards the crash site. It remains unclear when the freeway will be reopened.

Adding to the chaos, a severe storm has swept across the state, leaving tens of thousands of Victorians without power.

Major power companies have confirmed that over 30,000 customers have been affected, with outages reported in Port Melbourne, Keilor Downs, Taylors Lakes, Tarneit, and Melton in the city's west.

Regional areas such as Warrnambool, Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Rochester, and Kyabram have also been impacted.

Powercor has stated that the unplanned outages are under investigation. Meanwhile, crews are reportedly working to restore power.

The storms have also disrupted public transport, with some regional and metro train lines suspended.

Buses are replacing trains on the Craigieburn line between Broadmeadows and Craigieburn, on the Hurstbridge line between Greensborough and Hurstbridge, and on the Seymour/Shepparton line between Southern Cross, Wallan, and Seymour.

Public Transport Victoria has urged passengers to 'check station platform displays, listen for announcements, and allow extra time'.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning, forecasting more storms and possible flash flooding.

Drivers are being advised to avoid the roads due to dangerous conditions, including potential fallen trees.

'If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater,' the alert read.

'Avoid dangerous hazards such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.'

This series of events comes on the heels of the devastating storms and floods that claimed ten lives on Australia's East Coast over the Christmas and New Year period.

A separate severe thunderstorm warning has also been issued for parts of the Central, Mallee, Northern Country, North Central, and Wimmera districts.
Key Takeaways

• All northbound lanes of the Hume Freeway were closed at Donnybrook Road due to a truck collision.
  • A severe storm in Victoria has caused over 30,000 people to lose power, and some train services have been suspended.
  • The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe weather warning, forecasting more storms that may lead to flash flooding.
  • The public has been advised to avoid dangerous conditions on the roads, such as floodwater and fallen trees, and to exercise caution during the wild weather.
Have you been affected by the recent disruptions in Victoria? Share your experiences and any tips you have for coping with such situations in the comments below.
We just had another spectacular storm pass over frankston it was awesome. I love a good storm.😍

Reactions: Knell and PattiB
So do I. We had a good storm a few weeks ago but Tasmania doesn’t seem to get that many anymore, not around Launceston. My poor friend goes into a total panic, unfortunately.
When I lived in Rosebery on the west coast of tassie we had awesome storms there.😍

View attachment 38517

Key Takeaways

They probably still do, rainfall is still very high on the West coast. How long did you live there & did you enjoy it?
About 20 years we owned a business mountblacklodge.saw it burnt down at Xmas shame glad I didn’t own it then. Sold it and moved to south Burnie for about another 11 years marriage break up and then back home to Melbourne been back here 5 years this year.😍love to go back and live in Hobart.

View attachment 38517

Key Takeaways

Please be Very careful and patient exiting Donneybrook road west bound onto old Sydney Road. Heading North it turns to a dirt road and has never been in this bad condition in the 28 years we have lived here. We have called the Mitchel shire to report 15cm pot holes all along the 5 kilometre stretch to Cameron's Lane. Please be careful.

So do I. We had a good storm a few weeks ago but Tasmania doesn’t seem to get that many anymore, not around Launceston. My poor friend goes into a total panic, unfortunately.
I am not keen on storms at all, if I see any lightning or hear thunder I go straight inside until its over. I have always been terrified of them since I was a child. I blame my mother as she was worse than me in a storm.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I am not keen on storms at all, if I see any lightning or hear thunder I go straight inside until its over. I have always been terrified of them since I was a child. I blame my mother as she was worse than me in a storm.
My mum used to rush around covering all the mirrors because my grandmother used to. Storms used to put her into a total panic. When I got a bit older & realised it was a bit weird I managed to convince her that it wasn’t necessary, think my grandmother was a bit strange. She died when I was young so I didn’t know her well. My mum’s mother died when mum was a child so I always felt cheated somehow because my friends had grandparents & I didn’t. It’s amazing how our parents & older relatives have inflicted their strange beliefs onto us.

My mum used to rush around covering all the mirrors because my grandmother used to. Storms used to put her into a total panic. When I got a bit older & realised it was a bit weird I managed to convince her that it wasn’t necessary, think my grandmother was a bit strange. She died when I was young so I didn’t know her well. My mum’s mother died when mum was a child so I always felt cheated somehow because my friends had grandparents & I didn’t. It’s amazing how our parents & older relatives have inflicted their strange beliefs onto us.
I never knew my grandparents I was a 6month old “10”pound Pom when we came over here in dec 1958 they stayed behind.😢

• Sad
Reactions: PattiB
I experienced quite a few bad storms as a child, one where lighting hit the telegraph pole with ball lightning and another when it hit the TV aerial on the roof. Mum was totally panicked on both occassions and I suppose that rubbed off on me. I think the lightning will hit me I am so scared. I have palputations and get very anxious in a storm or if one could be coming. I won't drive in bad weather either as I got caught in a bad storm while driving in thunder and lightning one time and avoid it at all times.

I experienced quite a few bad storms as a child, one where lighting hit the telegraph pole with ball lightning and another when it hit the TV aerial on the roof. Mum was totally panicked on both occassions and I suppose that rubbed off on me. I think the lightning will hit me I am so scared. I have palputations and get very anxious in a storm or if one could be coming. I won't drive in bad weather either as I got caught in a bad storm while driving in thunder and lightning one time and avoid it at all times.
That must have been terrifying for you. My husband worked at a site that housed the transmitting stuff for broadcasting radio & he said that one night during a really bad storm the lightning struck one of the towers, entered the building & danced around the control room that he was sitting in. I was a bit alarmed when he told me but his response was “I just sat very, very still but it was pretty“. Think I’d have left the building & not gone back, ever!