Several dog owners may face fines of up to $50,000 for encouraging rabid acts

Pet owners look out for their furry pals' well-being and happiness.

However, they are also responsible for its behaviour in the community.

This responsibility is being underscored in one state as dog attacks soar to unprecedented levels.

The South Australian government took a firm stance on pet management and animal welfare when it proposed reforms for the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.

Under the draft, if dogs attacked a person or another animal, which resulted in severe injury or death, owners could be fined up to $25,000—a tenfold increase from the current penalty of $2,500.

dog farms.jpeg
The South Australian government emphasised the importance of responsible pet ownership and breeding in their proposed reforms. Image Credit: Pexels/Blue Bird

The stakes are even higher if your dog was previously declared dangerous by a local council.

In such cases, an attack could result in a fine of up to $50,000 for the owner—a significant jump from the current $10,000 penalty.

Moreover, suppose an owner deliberately encouraged their pet to attack or harass a person or animal. In that case, the consequences lead to a severe fine of up to $100,000 or a prison sentence of up to four years.

'The South Australian government is making sure penalties for violent dog attacks are a strong deterrent to ensure owners do everything they can to control their dogs,' Deputy Premier Susan Close stated.

This is a stark reminder to owners of dogs with a history of aggression to maintain strict control over their pets at all times.

The proposed changes—currently open for public consultation—also target the operation of puppy farms.

To combat the cruelty risks associated with breeding operations, the government proposed a cap of 50 female animals per breeding program and a maximum of five litters per female dog.

To further regulate the breeding industry, the proposal included:
  • A licensing and assessment system
  • Criminal background checks for breeders
  • Mandatory reporting for each litter
These measures aim to ensure that breeders operate ethically and transparently, with the animals' welfare being paramount.

Breeders who operate without a licence may face different penalties, including fines of up to $10,000.

This is part of the government's effort to eliminate unlicensed and potentially unethical breeding practices.

The South Australian government claimed that these proposed laws are among the strictest in the country, reflecting a growing trend towards more rigorous animal management and welfare standards.

Dog owners must stay informed about these potential changes to the law.

Not only could they have a significant financial impact, but they also emphasise the importance of responsible pet ownership and pet owner's roles in ensuring the safety and well-being of their community.
Key Takeaways

• South Australian dog owners could face fines of up to $50,000 for dog attacks, with the government proposing reforms to increase penalties.
  • The penalties for dog attacks that cause severe injury or death could be up to $25,000. It could increase to $50,000 if the dog is already subject to a dangerous dog order.
  • Owners who incite their dogs to attack could face even harsher penalties, including a fine of up to $100,000 or imprisonment for up to four years.
  • The reforms also target puppy farms, proposing a limit on breeding and stringent licensing, including criminal background checks for breeders.
How do you feel about these proposed penalties? Will the proposed changes promote responsible pet ownership and prevent dog attacks? Share your insights with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Definitely a good idea.
The cap of 50 breeding females seems astronomically high. If that's not puppy farming, I don't know what is.
I used to breed and show Siamese cats when I was younger.
Most people who breed for the love of animals would not have anywhere near that many, that is a money making exercise.
I never had any more than three breeding females
Many people bought dogs during COVID, when the prices were ridiculous, $5000 and up, with $! signs in their eyes.
Now that the prices are back around $1000 many of these dogs have been abandoned.
If you intend to buy a puppy firstly find an ethical breeder, choose a pup that suits your lifestyle. No sense buying an active breed if you don't have the hours required to walk it.
Puppies can be destructive, it is your responsibility to keep an eye on them and put in the necessary training so that you and your pet can live harmoniously together.
Dogs give unjudgemental love and will love you for ever.
Best friend you will ever have.
There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.
There are some breeds that can be more aggressive than others.
Don't choose one of these if looking for a family pet.
I currently have a rotti, have also had a doberman. Both beautiful dogs, great guard dogs but both great with children and they both get on great with my two little tibbies.

Definitely a good idea.
The cap of 50 breeding females seems astronomically high. If that's not puppy farming, I don't know what is.
I used to breed and show Siamese cats when I was younger.
Most people who breed for the love of animals would not have anywhere near that many, that is a money making exercise.
I never had any more than three breeding females
Many people bought dogs during COVID, when the prices were ridiculous, $5000 and up, with $! signs in their eyes.
Now that the prices are back around $1000 many of these dogs have been abandoned.
If you intend to buy a puppy firstly find an ethical breeder, choose a pup that suits your lifestyle. No sense buying an active breed if you don't have the hours required to walk it.
Puppies can be destructive, it is your responsibility to keep an eye on them and put in the necessary training so that you and your pet can live harmoniously together.
Dogs give unjudgemental love and will love you for ever.
Best friend you will ever have.
There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.
There are some breeds that can be more aggressive than others.
Don't choose one of these if looking for a family pet.
I currently have a rotti, have also had a doberman. Both beautiful dogs, great guard dogs but both great with children and they both get on great with my two little tibbies.
Wow! I seriously considered breeding Siamese cats when I bought my first house in 1986.

Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
I have great memories of those years,made many good friends of people who bought kittens from me. Several of them also showed, we would travel all over Victoria to country shows together, working towards champion and Grand champion titles.
My greatest success was to win Best in Show at the Australian National Championships with my beautiful lilac tabby Siamese "Tootsie".
Unfortunately I have nothing to show for all my success. My ex burnt all my photos, prize cards, ribbons and smashed all my trophies. Kharma paid him back.

I have great memories of those years,made many good friends of people who bought kittens from me. Several of them also showed, we would travel all over Victoria to country shows together, working towards champion and Grand champion titles.
My greatest success was to win Best in Show at the Australian National Championships with my beautiful lilac tabby Siamese "Tootsie".
Unfortunately I have nothing to show for all my success. My ex burnt all my photos, prize cards, ribbons and smashed all my trophies. Kharma paid him back.
Should have fed the RAT to the cats.

SHOULD BE ADOPTED NATION WIDE. This makes my blood boil. I have experienced a situation not once but twice where my two dogs were attacked on my property by the same neighbours dogs jumping over the fences. This resulted in surgery both times, which they would only pay qtr of over $4K in vet bills. I documented everything over several months prior to attacks, photos & video evidence, witnesses and reported the matter to local council. I was told by the council ranger the dogs would be declared dangerous....yet according to my neighbour, they didn't even get fined. Council ranger informed me, "that appropriate action was taken", however they certainly were not declared "dangerous dogs". How do owners get away with it

SHOULD BE ADOPTED NATION WIDE. This makes my blood boil. I have experienced a situation not once but twice where my two dogs were attacked on my property by the same neighbours dogs jumping over the fences. This resulted in surgery both times, which they would only pay qtr of over $4K in vet bills. I documented everything over several months prior to attacks, photos & video evidence, witnesses and reported the matter to local council. I was told by the council ranger the dogs would be declared dangerous....yet according to my neighbour, they didn't even get fined. Council ranger informed me, "that appropriate action was taken", however they certainly were not declared "dangerous dogs". How do owners get away with it
you could have thought on that and built your fence higher to prevent this sort off thing

• Wow
Reactions: Marj53
SHOULD BE ADOPTED NATION WIDE. This makes my blood boil. I have experienced a situation not once but twice where my two dogs were attacked on my property by the same neighbours dogs jumping over the fences. This resulted in surgery both times, which they would only pay qtr of over $4K in vet bills. I documented everything over several months prior to attacks, photos & video evidence, witnesses and or reported the matter to local council. I was told by the council ranger the dogs would be declared dangerous....yet according to my neighbour, they didn't even get fined. Council ranger informed me, "that appropriate action was taken", however they certainly were not declared "dangerous dogs". How do owners get away with it
Perhaps some barbed wire over the fence or would that be unsightly? The neighbours had a collie next door to us once and it killed are hens but she was adamant it wasn't her dog .

Cheaper or free desexing to prevent those roaming boys and girls from getting into trouble

There has been so many children and people killed by vicious dogs . Growing up l remember one of our neighbours had a Chow and if we visited she would warn us to keep away as she tried to restrain it.lt was so big aggressive and scary. By the way l heard it's best to have your children before you get a dog as the dogs get jealous

people should be put through a stringent test to own a pet of any sort .
.....and yet anyone can have as many Children as they like with no commitment to any training whatsoever as to sense of Justice, Education, Respect and desire to better themselves, with Government funding of course.

Reactions: PattiB
While agree with forcing pet owners to be responsible for their pet's aggression. If you have a pet dog of any breed and someone breaks into your home or property and your pet dog bites and injures the person committing the crime. I would hope such legislation does not cover would be thieves and criminals allowing them to sue homeowners if they have been bitten or injured by the family pet dog protecting its owners and their property. If a thief or criminal wishes to break into someone's home, then everyone has the right to defend their family and property. If the thief or criminal is injured during that confrontation, then they should have NO LEGAL RECOURSE over the homeowner or their pet dogs. If someone breaks into my home or property, then as far as I am concerned, they are armed, and they intend to harm my family and I would do everything in my power to stop them in their tracks.