Seven host Samantha Armytage makes shocking announcement after 21 years

Samantha Armytage, a household name and a familiar face on television, has announced her departure from Channel Seven after an impressive 21-year tenure.

This news has certainly come as a surprise to many of her fans and viewers who have followed her career over the past two decades.

Armytage, at 47, has decided not to renew her contract with the network, which is set to expire in October, as reported by The Daily Telegraph.

Describing her departure as 'sad and bittersweet,' Armytage expressed that she felt the time was right for her to move on, indicating that she was listening to her instincts and was excited about the future.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 7.38.43 AM.png
Samantha Armytage has decided to leave Channel Seven after 21 years. Credit: @sam_armytage / Instagram

'I'm big on instinct. I listen to my instinct. I know when the time comes. I am proud of the fact that I back myself enough to say: “I've done what I can do here' and I move on,” she stated.

'This is not the end. It's just the end of this chapter.'

Armytage's career at Seven has been nothing short of remarkable. She joined the network in 2003 and quickly rose through the ranks, landing her first major presenting role on Seven News Sydney in 2004.

She went on to replace Mike Amor as the presenter of Seven 4:30 News and co-hosted Weekend Sunrise alongside Andrew O'Keefe after Lisa Wilkinson's departure to Nine.

Armytage was then announced as the replacement for Sunrise co-host Melissa Doyle, a position she held for eight years until March 2021.

Reflecting on her time co-hosting the popular breakfast show with David Koch, Armytage shared fond memories.

'I look back on my time very fondly. It was hard work. The hours were crazy and I tend to get a lot of attention, so there were times when it was quite tricky,' she said.

'Overall, my memories are very happy and [...] we made some good TV.'

In addition to her news and morning show roles, Armytage has been a contestant on Dancing With the Stars in 2011 and hosted the makeover reality show Bringing Sexy Back in 2014.

More recently, in 2023, she was announced as the new host of Farmer Wants a Wife. However, she will not return to host the show's next series, which is currently in pre-production.

The reality show's original host, Natalie Gruzlewski, will return to take the reins.

Group Managing Director of Seven Television Angus Ross expressed his support for Armytage's decision.

‘After 21 years, Samantha Armytage has decided to leave the Seven Network in October this year. We fully understand and support her decision,’ he said.

Sam has made a remarkable contribution to Seven over more than two decades, from 7NEWS and Sunrise to, more recently, Farmer Wants A Wife.'

He continued: 'Her genuine affection for the country lifestyle she's grown up with and enjoys to this day has shone through her three seasons with the TV WEEK Logie Award-nominated series.’

'It's been a pleasure watching Sam share her pride in these communities with Australia as our incredible farmer love stories have unfolded. We wish Sam—and her farmer—every happiness and success for the future.'

Armytage's departure comes amid reports of financial pressures at the network, with some of Seven's biggest stars facing pay cuts to keep their jobs.

Respected newsreader Mark Ferguson is reportedly in danger, and David Koch, who is still on contract with Seven after leaving Sunrise, is unlikely to have his contract renewed.

Meanwhile, Sonia Kruger is expected to remain with the network, albeit with a reduced salary.

Armytage also updated fans on her recovery after undergoing a hip replacement operation, sharing her progress and resilience.
Key Takeaways
  • Samantha Armytage has announced her departure from Channel Seven after a 21-year tenure with the network.
  • Armytage described her departure as 'sad and bittersweet' and expressed excitement about her future, emphasising her instinctual decision-making.
  • She will not return to host the next series of Farmer Wants A Wife but will be seen at the Logies, where the show is nominated for Best Structured Reality Program.
  • Seven's Group Managing Director Angus Ross acknowledged Armytage's contribution to the network and wished her happiness and success, confirming her departure.
What are your favourite memories of Samantha Armytage on Channel Seven? Share your thoughts and well wishes for Sam in the comments below!

Sponsored