Seniors appeal for zero benefit penalties for working

As labour shortages across Australia persist, seniors around the country are finding more reason and space to return to the workforce.

Seventy-eight-year-old Margaret Anderson is one of them.

Working a few shifts a week at restaurant 360Q in the coastal town of Queenscliff, Victoria, this part-time job as a waitress has given Anderson a new lease on life.

'I love the people I'm working with and … the people I meet. I'll do this for as long as I can. I love every minute of it,' she told A Current Affair.

Unfortunately, in previous years, those who were getting a pension couldn’t do this easily.

Individual seniors were only allowed to earn up to $190 per fortnight (for couples, this was $336 combined) after applying the $300 Work Bonus eligible income — any more, and they risked losing access to some benefits.

The federal government made a change last September, expanding the work bonus initiative. Aged and veteran pensioners can now earn an extra $4000 in the current financial year without penalty, boosting the income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.

This change allows working seniors more breathing room, especially as cost-of-living pressures bear down on everyone.

16656985530_a007f5e039_o.jpg
360Q employs seniors among its staff. Stock Image Credit: Flickr

Margaret said she loves the initiative, and Di, another retiree who works at a nearby restaurant called Circa 1902, shares this sentiment.

'Particularly now where there's such a shortage of workers, and it allows people to have a little bit more freedom to get back to the work they're doing,’ she said.

But Di and Margaret might have to adjust their work hours again as the expanded work bonus balance reverts back to $7,800 next year.

This looming backstep has prompted calls for more permanent change to be made through legislation.

‘I think we need to recognise that we have a jobs crisis in Australia. Four hundred fifty thousand plus jobs are going begging, and we've got 4.5 million Australians over 65,’ said Ian Henschke, Chief Advocate of National Seniors Australia.

He believes Australia doesn’t have to look too far for inspiration.

'New Zealand’s got a simple system, you work, you pay income tax, and they just get on with it,' Ian said. 'And surprise, surprise, they have a much higher workforce participation rate than we do here.'

‘New Zealand has a workforce participation rate of 71 per cent. We’ve got 66 per cent. They’ve got five per cent more of their population working, and most of it is older workers. That’s where they’re getting their workers from.’

photo-1607863680198-23d4b2565df0.jpg
For some, what they get on Age Pension and other types of government aid isn’t enough to go by. Image Credit: Unsplash

Ian argues that allowing those on a pension to return to work freely creates a positive societal situation.

‘We need workers desperately in aged care, childcare, home care, disability care and agriculture and tourism and hospitality,’ he said.

‘So letting the pensioners work and earn a bit more is actually going to help.’

Barry Iddles, the owner of 360Q, agreed that it’s high time rules be amended in favour of working seniors.

'It's wrong to penalise them. I don't think they should have their pension affected at all,’ he said.

Iddles said he previously included seniors in an earlier call for restaurant staff he made within Queenscliff, and he confirmed he received great feedback — but there was an oft-repeated catch.

‘There's a lot of them saying “We can only work $200 a fortnight,” so it's not a lot,’ he said.

‘I'd like to see them work three or four shifts if they want.’

In response, Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said that the expanded work bonus balance is part of the government’s efforts to improve the lives of senior Australians.

‘One of these is the boost to the Work Bonus income bank which began in December and will allow older Australians and Veterans the ability to work more without losing any of their income support payments,’ her statement read.

‘Around three per cent of pensioners report any income, but for those who do want to work, this gives them more choice.’

‘Giving older Australians the choice to engage in the workforce not only benefits them by ensuring they keep more of their pension, but it is also an important step towards addressing Australia's labour shortages.’

It remains unclear if the government has plans to retain the $4000 work bonus balance top-up beyond its stated end-of-year deadline.

Key Takeaways
  • Seventy-eight-year-old Margaret Anderson loves working part-time at a restaurant, and many more like her could earn more if it weren’t for penalties imposed on income for those on Age Pension payments.
  • The federal government expanded the work bonus initiative in September last year, which boosted pensioners’ income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.
  • However, the expanded balance is set to revert on January 1, 2024, meaning a lot of employed seniors would have to keep a close eye on their income and watch out for penalties.
  • Advocates of more work for senior Australians are calling for permanent legislation to be implemented, in line with New Zealand’s system, to give pensioners the option of working without being penalised.
Earlier, Centrelink announced changes in its payment scheme, which could see some recipients having their payments automatically suspended.

Among these revised rules are Age Pension recipients having their pensions reduced to $0 if income reaches set thresholds for individuals and couples per fortnight.

Members, have you returned to the workforce or are you looking to rejoin soon? What do you feel about Australia’s current rules on working for seniors?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: Facebook/A Current Affair

Sponsored
The truth is, nobody can FAKE getting older, and if older people can most definitely can contribute to our nation's economy, then why penalize us for it!

Life should be richer for people that have made it past 65 and not poorer because of health issues or financial concerns. why be considered a drain on our Nations coffers when through tax we could be acknowledged should we choose to do so, to be ongoing contributors.

Politicians will have a HUGE pension to see out their lives in relative luxury.

So what is the harm in a senior aged person who has the capacity to work and bring about a better life for themselves, contributing and being likewise well paid for it? None of us are getting younger and collectively we have an immense wealth of skills and experience to offer. The truth is apparent.

Older aged citizens should be able to work if they choose to do so, without being penalized.

Our country needs informed assistance and if there are those that are older, that are willing to apply their time effort and energy to share their experience, then this should be legislated into law.

As labour shortages across Australia persist, seniors around the country are finding more reason and space to return to the workforce.

Working a few shifts a week at restaurant 360Q in the coastal town of Queenscliff, Victoria, this part-time job as a waitress has given Anderson a new lease on life.

'I love the people I'm working with and … the people I meet. I'll do this for as long as I can. I love every minute of it,' she told A Current Affair.

Unfortunately, in previous years, those who were getting a pension couldn’t do this easily.

Individual seniors were only allowed to earn up to $190 per fortnight (for couples, this was $336 combined) after applying the $300 Work Bonus eligible income — any more, and they risked losing access to some benefits.

The federal government made a change last September, expanding the work bonus initiative. Aged and veteran pensioners can now earn an extra $4000 in the current financial year without penalty, boosting the income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.

This change allows working seniors more breathing room, especially as cost-of-living pressures bear down on everyone.

View attachment 13996

Margaret said she loves the initiative, and Di, another retiree who works at a nearby restaurant called Circa 1902, shares this sentiment.

'Particularly now where there's such a shortage of workers, and it allows people to have a little bit more freedom to get back to the work they're doing,’ she said.

But Di and Margaret might have to adjust their work hours again as the expanded work bonus balance reverts back to $7,800 next year.

This looming backstep has prompted calls for more permanent change to be made through legislation.

‘I think we need to recognise that we have a jobs crisis in Australia. Four hundred fifty thousand plus jobs are going begging, and we've got 4.5 million Australians over 65,’ said Ian Henschke, Chief Advocate of National Seniors Australia.

'New Zealand’s got a simple system, you work, you pay income tax, and they just get on with it,' Ian said. 'And surprise, surprise, they have a much higher workforce participation rate than we do here.'

‘New Zealand has a workforce participation rate of 71 per cent. We’ve got 66 per cent. They’ve got five per cent more of their population working, and most of it is older workers. That’s where they’re getting their workers from.’

View attachment 13997
For some, what they get on Age Pension and other types of government aid isn’t enough to go by. Image Credit: Unsplash

Ian argues that allowing those on a pension to return to work freely creates a positive societal situation.

‘We need workers desperately in aged care, childcare, home care, disability care and agriculture and tourism and hospitality,’ he said.

Barry Iddles, the owner of 360Q, agreed that it’s high time rules be amended in favour of working seniors.

'It's wrong to penalise them. I don't think they should have their pension affected at all,’ he said.

Iddles said he previously included seniors in an earlier call for restaurant staff he made within Queenscliff, and he confirmed he received great feedback — but there was an oft-repeated catch.

‘There's a lot of them saying “We can only work $200 a fortnight,” so it's not a lot,’ he said.

In response, Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said that the expanded work bonus balance is part of the government’s efforts to improve the lives of senior Australians.

‘One of these is the boost to the Work Bonus income bank which began in December and will allow older Australians and Veterans the ability to work more without losing any of their income support payments,’ her statement read.

‘Around three per cent of pensioners report any income, but for those who do want to work, this gives them more choice.’

‘Giving older Australians the choice to engage in the workforce not only benefits them by ensuring they keep more of their pension, but it is also an important step towards addressing Australia's labour shortages.’

It remains unclear if the government has plans to retain the $4000 work bonus balance top-up beyond its stated end-of-year deadline.

Key Takeaways

• Seventy-eight-year-old Margaret Anderson loves working part-time at a restaurant, and many more like her could earn more if it weren’t for penalties imposed on income for those on Age Pension payments.
  • The federal government expanded the work bonus initiative in September last year, which boosted pensioners’ income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.
  • However, the expanded balance is set to revert on January 1, 2024, meaning a lot of employed seniors would have to keep a close eye on their income and watch out for penalties.
  • Advocates of more work for senior Australians are calling for permanent legislation to be implemented, in line with New Zealand’s system, to give pensioners the option of working without being penalised.
Earlier, Centrelink announced changes in its payment scheme, which could see some recipients having their payments automatically suspended.

Among these revised rules are Age Pension recipients having their pensions reduced to $0 if income reaches set thresholds for individuals and couples per fortnight.

Members, have you returned to the workforce or are you looking to rejoin soon? What do you feel about Australia’s current rules on working for seniors?

If your allowed to work full time in New Zealand and still receive a full pension then why not here in Australia.There are too many lazy young ones the government encourage to be idle by paying them to sit on their butts.

“Among these revised rules are Age Pension recipients having their pensions reduced to $0 if income reaches set thresholds for individuals and couples per fortnight’.

with these kind of threats who is willing to risk working ? There is no way to contact, or explain, anything to Centrelink. Look at the damage caused by Robodebt.
New Zealand lets age pensioners work full time with no penalties to their pension so why not here.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

Yes it’s ridiculous the rules for seniors here, nz has it right, and also whoever let it through that your pensions are combined when you have both worked all of your lives only to get a tiny pension if your partner is still working!! So wrong when you have both paid tax’s in nz you both receive a pension and can work and pay the income tax on wages but if the other partner is not working she/he is not penalised. If nz can do it why can’t we and which bright party bought it in 😡😡

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

I support the New Zealand model, as a pensioner with a very small family, therefore not many familial commitments, working is another way of interact with people, use my skills and contribute . . . I have kept my private health insurance (it reduces my pension by almost $100 per fortnight), I do not have any super left -family member health reasons). I have been told by recruiters after reading my resume, the biggest barrier you have in your age . I rest my case Many thanks for the opportunity to express my views. cordially, Perla

I support the New Zealand model, as a pensioner with a very small family, therefore not many familial commitments, working is another way of interact with people, use my skills, keep my mental and contribute . . . I have kept my private health insurance (it reduces my pension by almost $100 per fortnight), I do not have any super left -family member health reasons). I have been told by recruiters after reading my resume, the biggest barrier you have in your age . I rest my case Many thanks for the opportunity to express my views. cordially, Perla

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Yes I would love to go back to work but I would first have to re-regristed at a cost of nearly $500 Regristration fee and as a condition to work in my field of nursing to do a refresher university course at a cost of $8,250 for 3 months course. And that besides police check, working with children check and uniform costs. So I would have to pay about $9,000 first out of my pension before I could earn anything for myself, not worth it.

On 7 March 2023 I go on to the Aged pension, only just received my letter even though lodged my application in November 2022. In the letter shows me the amount I will be getting which is less than what the Aged pension is. We are a couple and so threfore my partners contribution comes into it he get about less than $23kper year. So according Centrelink my pension is reduced by $129 per fortnight . Put an appeal in to Centrelink for a complex Officer to explain their calculations, as no where in the letter do they show how they come to this conclusion. Your just left in the dark. also by the way waited on phone for over an hour and half when recording stated 40 minute delay before getting to an Centrelink officer who could not explain why but just kept repeating herself on what the letter stated -

Have to now wait 14 days before the Complex Officer will get back to us ?.

Was told this would be an easy process going from Centrelink unemployment benefit to the Aged PensIon - would think by the time you reach aged pension age it would be stress free up , but no you still have to jump through hoops.

As for Aged pensioners being able to work if they choose too , but then get penalised if they do, and the government allowed pensioners to earn $4000 without loosing any pension is a joke as it end January 2024 YES it should be permanent.
I retired 7 years ago and like you had to wait to get the pension. I am on my own but do not receive a full pension because of the interest they say my super receives. They calculate it on an interest rate far higher than it is. Yes try and get in touch with anybody either on the phone or at a centre.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

It's a balancing act for pensioners working vs receiving the pension...or losing it either in part or altogether should they work too much.

Pensioners no longer want to work fulltime, so they won't take the fulltime jobs off others...and they will work within their aging capabilities. We're not spring chickens anymore. We have limits now.

Given that the population is aging and there is definitely a reduced workforce available to fill vacancies, it seems obvious that this major worker resource (pensioners) should be utilised and encouraged/supported financially, without adversely affecting their pension and entitlements. Some, but probably not all, of the part-time wages they earn will no doubt attract tax, so they are giving back to the budget as well.

When I was running for Federal Parliament, as an Independent, I advocated for unemployed older workers to be paid to mentor young, unemployed entrepreneurs and help them to develop their businesses, which would get them off the dole. Utilising the experience, maturity and agenda-free older population makes perfect, comonsense to me.

so let me get this right pensioners work pay tax and if they earn to much they loose part or all pension and a lot of them have worked for 40 + years paying tax and employing people also so tell me kevin rudd the dud gets a job in america $800,000.00 a year and gets to keep his pension the pensioners should be able to work as much as they like pay tax and keep the pension that whould help this contry and be fair

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

I am 72 and work as a nurse, I own my own home which is as dated as myself and both of us need extra upkeep. Recently I got a quote to replace my wood rotted back verandah $6,300. It is 45 years old and like me can't last forever. However, if I don't work I am liable to step out the back door and go through it. My working credits will be gone. I will paint it myself once finished to save money. Just because I own a house doesn't mean I'm rich, tradesmen still want to be paid their usual wage. This is why so many elderly people live in run down houses because they only have their pensions. I get $194 a fortnight pension, yet my income for the year is just under $20,000. The scarcity of staff for many businesses means they have to close down, why does the government bite the hands of those that feed them. My tax supports their retirement funds of $250,000 a year and then they are able to continue working without any loss to their pensions.... I smell a rat.!

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

Eric
I’m an Uber Driver and a pensioner. Because of the regulations on income I have to curtail my hours whereas I could easily do many more which would help to boost my income.
Hopefully the Government wakes up to the benefits of allowing more pensioners into the workforce without being penalised.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

With the pension well below the poverty line, penalising pensioners for trying to improve their circumstances is unjustifiable. The pension should be guaranteed and if people need to earn extra to cover rising expenses, then they should not be penalised. It's just cruel.

Reactions: Joy Rush
Yes they should be allowed to work without penalty. My husband worked in a job involving sheep which was really hard work until he was 80 and only had to stop for a health reason. He now does gardening unpaid for our daughter-in-law and is now almost 87. luckily he is a fit man and would be bored with nothing to do. While working till 80 he was not getting the full pension and was only working casual but sometimes it was a full week then no pension. We were not complaining. But we had to report every week he earnt money.
think some people would welcome being able to earn something in their later years if they are healthy

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

I’ll need to work as the pension pays peanuts. A great thx to all of us for paying our taxes all our working lives. But the amount u can earn us also low. Who wants to hire someone for 1or 1/2 a day a week?

I am a 71 year old school bus driver and enjoy working however I am punished if asked to work more hours. As it currently stands I can only work 8.10 hrs per week before I am penalised 50c in the $ off my pension as well as paying PAYG. My employer would like me to work 15-20 hours per week but I cant.
I am in a similar situation having been driving school buses and general charter buses. Coaches Interstate and intrastate as well. Like most industries transport, hospitality of all sorts and general trucking industry there is such a shortage of drivers. Young guys are not coming into these transport industries because of the lousy hours that we have to work ,.. very early in the morning and late at night .. not very sociable. My local restaurants have closed down due to being unable to find staff.
What the government fails to understand is that for example if I decided to work nearly full time (which I am capable of doing and would like to) my current employer will give me all the work that I want. If I say earn and additional $1000 per week and added that to my pension as income I will start paying income tax to the government. My employer is happy, I am happy and the Treasurer should be happy because of the additional tax I am paying. The government doesn't lose a cent but gains 3 happy people who are trying to contribute to this country. It costs them nothing to let pensioners work additional hours.
I really don't think they are understanding the situation at all. We have businesses screaming for staff and going broke because of the shortages and many pensioners trying to work but are being discriminated against by losing their pensions.
Wake up Albo and Jim Chalmers and lets get this country moving again !!!

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

If any person the aged is willing and able to work, then I think that they are not going to be able to keep up with the more youthful staff, then pension should be frozen and any earnings taxed at either the going rate or a one percent penalty for the inclusion of the existing pension. I myself although unable to wait on tables, can work in a kitchen pearl diving or prep work, thus freeing up kitchen staff.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

Its not only earning extra money to supplement the pension but what about the wealth of experience and knowledge a lot of older people have. They are also reliable, punctual and bring lots of other qualities to their work. Employers are short of staff and older people are a great resource. Pity the government don't seem to realise that.