Senior driver hit with mobile phone fine, reveals he never owned one

In a world where technology is increasingly becoming a part of our daily lives, it's hard to imagine someone who has never owned or used a mobile phone.

But for 77-year-old Frank Singh, this is his reality.

Yet, in a bizarre twist of fate, Frank found himself slapped with a hefty fine for using a mobile phone while driving, despite allegedly never having owned one.

Frank's story began when he received a $362 fine from Revenue New South Wales, accusing him of a traffic offence he vehemently denied.

The evidence? Images captured by a mobile phone detection camera on the Pacific Motorway where he was holding an object in his left hand.

SDC 5.png
A senior driver received a $362 mobile phone use while driving fine, but claimed he never owned nor used a mobile phone. Image source: A Current Affair, Frank Singh.

'I've never owned a mobile phone. I've never used a mobile phone. I thought “what a load of s**t”,' Frank said.

While Frank couldn't recall what he was holding in the pictures provided as evidence by Revenue NSW, he was adamant it wasn't a phone.

'I think it could be my wallet,' he suggested.

Ironically, Frank's friend, Kishori Breeze, had to step in to help him appeal, as the process required a mobile number and email address.

Breeze was confident that the misunderstanding would be easily resolved.

'You've got a fine for using a mobile phone while driving. You don’t have a mobile phone. Let’s just nip down to the office and get this fixed,' he said.

However, their astonishment grew when the review was rejected.

'He received a letter to say, yeah, we understand that you say that you don’t have a phone, but please go ahead and pay the fine anyway,' Breeze recounted.

'When Frank tried to say, “I don’t have a mobile phone, and I’ve never”…(the Byron Bay Magistrate) butt in and she said, “You do own a mobile phone.”'

Lawyer Richard Mitry explained that the typical attitude of innocence until proven guilty isn't always applied when it comes to traffic offences.

'It’s actually the other way around with most traffic offences,' Mitry said.

'So, in this case, you’ve assumed that you’ve done the wrong thing based on the fact that a camera snapped you, and the camera thought you were doing the wrong thing.'

In a surprising turn of events, Frank's fine was later cancelled without explanation, and he is no longer required to appear in court, according to A Current Affair.
Key Takeaways
  • A pensioner named Frank Singh was fined for using a mobile phone while driving, but he claimed he never owned or used one.
  • Images from a mobile phone detection camera showed Frank holding something in his hand, which he believed could have been his wallet.
  • Despite his appeal, Frank's fine was initially upheld.
  • The fine was ultimately cancelled without explanation, and Frank is no longer required to appear in court.
Have you or someone you know ever been wrongly accused of a traffic offence? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
To all of the people who think it's distraction.
TELL THAT TO THE COPS WHO DRIVE WHILST ON THEIR MOBILE PHONE, TYPING ON THEIR ONBOARD COMPUTERS, OR EATING THEIR DONUTS AND DRINKING THEIR TAKEAWAY COFFEE.
Apparently that doesn't count, because it is part of their job. :unsure:
these cops are inherently far more capable of handling a vehicle then us. "YEAH RIGHT"!!
We are only CANNON FODDER for REVENUE RAISING COPS. ;);)

Reactions: Hel and Mistyrious
He may not have a mobile phone but there is another fine 'driving while distracted'. This could include drinking (I don't mean alcohol), eating, putting in a CD etc.
what about the distractions by police cars with a virtual office in the car with computer, speed detectors, no. plate recognition etc ,one CAN drive and be competent with equipment, look at some of the big trucks on the road and the gear they have on board....its revenue raising 101

Reactions: Hel and Mistyrious
A few years ago my son parked his car in the outer Brisbane region and after he came back , there was a note under the windscreen wiper that he had parked his car not correctly . He took a picture of the sign and his car and sent it off. His car was parked correctly , but he never heard anything , it just would be nice that they had apologised for their mistake . After all we are all humans .

The charge was for using a mobile phone while driving, he didn't have one so not guilty. The charge should have been distracted while driving, then yes guilty.

Reactions: Hel
Magistrates don't listen and don't care, they just want to get thru their caseload apparently. They also don't care that a police officer lies in a written statement that affects the outcome. What is the point to a magistrate that doesn't believe in justice? It turns law abiding citizens into resentful people who no longer care about the law.

Reactions: Mistyrious
The lesson here is to drive and keep your eyes on the road, instead of holding something in your hand to be looking at. Especially driving on the motorway where there are often crazy drivers.
so a 1 second glance at something is a criminal offence now?

Whatever it is that was so important he had to look at while he was driving they should have enforced the fine.

Those few seconds he's not looking at the road he could have caused an accident and would have cost him more then $362. And at that age his reactions would have been slower then younger drivers.
but i bet he knows the difference between then and than!

so a 1 second glance at something is a criminal offence now?
Not that I'm aware of, but the photo of him wasn't just a fleeting glance.
Just at the wrong time for him too with the snapshot. He got let off at anyway.

Hmmm, yeah he isn't watching the road.

I got caught for having a tissue in my hand lol . It was waived but a ridiculous amount of time
wasted by all .

Typical across the board constant harrassment.by the corporation calling itself a government illegitimate maritime law creating the straw man .stealing our soul with the birth certificate makeing finance on the stock exchange . illegal licences to even breath taxes ( illegal) nothing about these regimes world wide that is lawful under common law and even non resemblances of humane society and that is why we are in this war which fools deny .good against evil it is very real the enemy incase you are a sleep is NWO UN NATO EWF GLOBALISTS SCWAB GATES FAUCI ALL GENOCIDAL PSYCHOPATHS WHOS AGENDA IS T KILL YOU... TREASON IS RAMPING UP.MAUI.EG.BUCKLE UP BE ALERT .EVEN A GRANDMA CAN BE STABBED TO DEATH IN FRONT OF FIVE YEAR TO OLD GRANDDAUGHTER BY INVADING GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS.DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RANT ITS FACT FACE IT BE ALERT UNITE OR DIE ...CHOW .TAKE THAT IVE HAD ENOUGH HOMELESS AT 77 WITH A DOG .TRY THAT ON SEE HOW YOU FEEL

Doesn't matter whether it was a phone or not, his eyes weren't on the road while he was driving, the fine should have been paid!
That may be so. However, the advent of fancy electronics in the car, and, GPS use, makes a lot of us glance from one thing to another without thinking. The man may well have been looking at a human GPS...an address written down on a piece of paper. We will never know.

My friend was accused of causing a collision with another vehicle on lower Dandenong rd Glen Waverley ah big mistake because lower Dandenong Rd does not even go anywhere near Glen Waverley I think the other driver who is wrongly accusing her is a scammer she was advised of the collision by Victoria police it was very badly worded

Last edited: