Senator's grocery shopping complaint prompts outrage on social media

Australian Senator Ralph 'Deej' Babet, a member of the United Australia Party, stirred up public anger this week by posting a picture of his grocery bill on social media.

Mr Babet was elected to represent Victoria in the Australian Senate in the 2022 federal election, starting his six-year term on July 1, 2022.

Recently, he shared a photo of his Coles supermarket receipt, which amounted to $102.35 for 15 items.

So, what caused the social media outrage, you may wonder? If you think it was what he got considering what he spent, it isn’t.

Well, it turns out that he took the picture while seated in his luxurious Mercedes-Benz C-Class coupe, which is valued at approximately $100,000.

'I just went and picked up a few things from the shops. I filled up just one bag,' wrote the politician.

'They weren't kidding when they said it won't be easy under Albanese. Granted, Labor can't take all the blame. The Liberals were almost as bad.'

He added: 'The thing is, all this can be fixed very quickly if they stop making bad decisions and adopt an Australia-first attitude.'

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 12.55.40 PM.png
A senator has been blasted on social media for complaining about the cost of his shopping while sitting in his luxury car. Credit: Instagram/SenatorBabet.

The receipt contained relatively items like diced salmon, mangoes, free-range eggs and broccolini—hardly typical purchases for the average Australian facing today's cost of living crisis.

The senator, who earns a parliamentary salary exceeding $225,750 annually, is reportedly supported by a wealthy mining billionaire and owns a real estate company in the southeastern part of Melbourne.

Needless to say, his recent social media post did not sit well with some eagle-eyed and sharp-tongued Aussies.

Some comments on the post expressed frustration, highlighting the challenges of making ends meet with an average income.

'On the average salary, people have to get generic brands and can't afford diced salmon. Inflation bites, especially when you can't afford it—but you clearly can,' one user wrote.

Another commenter sarcastically remarked that it was easy for someone earning over $200,000 to complain about the cost of groceries.

Meanwhile, others criticised the senator for his apparent insensitivity to the financial struggles of everyday Australians. 'Go away and come back when you understand how the rest of us live,' they said.

In a recent statement to a news outlet, Mr Babet expressed his concerns about the Australian way of life, arguing that its biggest threats are related to housing and the cost of living.

He also made a point to address the affordability of everyday expenses—even saying that shopping at Coles should not be considered 'extravagant'.

In a somewhat pointed remark, he questioned whether the Prime Minister truly understands the severity of the cost-of-living crisis, suggesting that if he personally handled 'his own shopping', he might have a more accurate perspective.

Key Takeaways

• United Australia Party Senator Ralph 'Deej' Babet has faced backlash on social media for his comments about grocery shopping costs.
  • Senator Babet posted a picture of a grocery receipt with the Mercedes-Benz logo in his luxury car and comments about the high grocery prices under the current leadership.
  • Many on social media criticised the senator for his post, stating that he does not understand the struggles of average-income earners due to his high income.

Members, what are your thoughts on this? Was the social media post as 'insensitive' as others say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Australian Senator Ralph 'Deej' Babet, a member of the United Australia Party, stirred up public anger this week by posting a picture of his grocery bill on social media.

Mr Babet was elected to represent Victoria in the Australian Senate in the 2022 federal election, starting his six-year term on July 1, 2022.

Recently, he shared a photo of his Coles supermarket receipt, which amounted to $102.35 for 15 items.

So, what caused the social media outrage, you may wonder? If you think it was what he got considering what he spent, it isn’t.

Well, it turns out that he took the picture while seated in his luxurious Mercedes-Benz C-Class coupe, which is valued at approximately $100,000.

'I just went and picked up a few things from the shops. I filled up just one bag,' wrote the politician.

'They weren't kidding when they said it won't be easy under Albanese. Granted, Labor can't take all the blame. The Liberals were almost as bad.'

He added: 'The thing is, all this can be fixed very quickly if they stop making bad decisions and adopt an Australia-first attitude.'

View attachment 32905
A senator has been blasted on social media for complaining about the cost of his shopping while sitting in his luxury car. Credit: Instagram/SenatorBabet.

The receipt contained relatively items like diced salmon, mangoes, free-range eggs and broccolini—hardly typical purchases for the average Australian facing today's cost of living crisis.

The senator, who earns a parliamentary salary exceeding $225,750 annually, is reportedly supported by a wealthy mining billionaire and owns a real estate company in the southeastern part of Melbourne.

Needless to say, his recent social media post did not sit well with some eagle-eyed and sharp-tongued Aussies.

Some comments on the post expressed frustration, highlighting the challenges of making ends meet with an average income.

'On the average salary, people have to get generic brands and can't afford diced salmon. Inflation bites, especially when you can't afford it—but you clearly can,' one user wrote.

Another commenter sarcastically remarked that it was easy for someone earning over $200,000 to complain about the cost of groceries.

Meanwhile, others criticised the senator for his apparent insensitivity to the financial struggles of everyday Australians. 'Go away and come back when you understand how the rest of us live,' they said.

In a recent statement to a news outlet, Mr Babet expressed his concerns about the Australian way of life, arguing that its biggest threats are related to housing and the cost of living.

He also made a point to address the affordability of everyday expenses—even saying that shopping at Coles should not be considered 'extravagant'.

In a somewhat pointed remark, he questioned whether the Prime Minister truly understands the severity of the cost-of-living crisis, suggesting that if he personally handled 'his own shopping', he might have a more accurate perspective.

Key Takeaways

• United Australia Party Senator Ralph 'Deej' Babet has faced backlash on social media for his comments about grocery shopping costs.
  • Senator Babet posted a picture of a grocery receipt with the Mercedes-Benz logo in his luxury car and comments about the high grocery prices under the current leadership.
  • Many on social media criticised the senator for his post, stating that he does not understand the struggles of average-income earners due to his high income.

Members, what are your thoughts on this? Was the social media post as 'insensitive' as others say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

View attachment 32905

Key Takeaways

Politicians and real estate agents are the scum of the earth in my opinion......

View attachment 32905

Key Takeaways

Love salmon, I think, long time since I had enough money to buy it

Hey what's wrong with pork belly I love and i only have a small square of it so it's not expensive
I blame MKR and MasterChef for the explosion of ordinary foods transforming into bizarre superfoods.

Just look at the humble lamb shank. It used to be attached to a lamb leg. Now it costs an arm and a lamb leg. All for what constitutes 95% bone!

I blame MKR and MasterChef for the explosion of ordinary foods transforming into bizarre superfoods.

Just look at the humble lamb shank. It used to be attached to a lamb leg. Now it costs an arm and a lamb leg. All for what constitutes 95% bone!
To hell with that..... I pay for what I can eat..... I'm not a dog that gnaws on a bone....

And his boss is Clive Palmer. What does that tell you? Wealthy, entitled, self serving but hey - “interesting speeches”? Is this a gee-up? Surely you can’t be serious!
Yes, I am serious. If you know history then you know that it was the wealthy who helped the ordinary man the vote. It was wealthy men who supported their wives in their push to be allowed to vote and to work in ‘men’s jobs’. It doesn’t matter what I think of Clive Palmer personally, I’ve never met the man so can’t comment, but I can read what his policies are and decide if I like them. I haven’t met any politicians, I just look at their policies and ask if they make sense for Australia. Then, of course, there are the hidden agendas that we don’t know about when it comes to voting. Albanese certainly has those! The referendum was just him asking for a blank check for his hidden agenda. When we said No he has basically ignored us and is trying to go ahead with it anyway. He is certainly encouraging all his cronies around the country to do so!

Reactions: IAN3005 and Abby2

I remember when I bought 2 lamb shanks for five dollars because they were unwanted. Within a couple of years, because of publicity, the price doubled and it’s gone up ever since. To add insult to injury they’ve cut them down to nothing. The same goes for oxtail.

I remember when I bought 2 lamb shanks for five dollars because they were unwanted. Within a couple of years, because of publicity, the price doubled and it’s gone up ever since. To add insult to injury they’ve cut them down to nothing. The same goes for oxtail.
Totally agree there😈

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Disabled pensioner who can afford a 100gm pkt of smoked salmon for $10.00 wow🙀you are doing well aren’t you.😈
As I said, I don’t smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs and I can’t go out much. No movies or such. So I can control my spending and will buy smoked salmon every now and again as a treat. Why not?

As I said, I don’t smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs and I can’t go out much. No movies or such. So I can control my spending and will buy smoked salmon every now and again as a treat. Why not?
🤔why post this again are you that bored 😈join the other conversations it’ll liven up your life👍sounds like you need us😍we need fresh blood😈

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Never eaten smoked salmon and probably never will but I've smoked, drank, gambled and did drugs for a lot of my life. Just about given them all up due to financial restraints and health reasons.

Reactions: Littleboy8