Senate starts inquiry towards Bunnings, IKEA and Petbarn after allegations of market power abuse

Australians take pride in supporting local businesses.

Yet, in the shadow of retail giants, the struggle for small businesses to stay afloat recently became a challenge.

The Senate recently launched an inquiry into the market power of these large retailers and the impact they have on competition, suppliers, and consumers.

Melbourne-based pet store owner Naman Thakar felt the squeeze firsthand.

His sales for dog food and pet supplies have dwindled as customers have turned to the larger stores and Petbarn and Petstock.

'It's harder to compete with the bigger guys when they have higher purchasing power,' Mr Thakar lamented.

In Mr Thakar's shop, a 4kg bag of dried cat food could sell for $87.99.

However, the same item in Petbarn is available for $62.49 for the store's loyalty program members.

compressed-retailers.jpeg
Some of the retailers under scrutiny were IKEA, Bunnings, and Petbarn for gaining a huge chunk of market shares. Image Credits: Shutterstock/Sunflowerey, jax10289, Bunnings

Flea treatments, once a profitable item for Mr Thakar, are now sold at a meagre 10 per cent margin in a desperate bid to keep up with prices.

However, it's more than just pet supplies Mr Thakar is having a problem with.

Hardware behemoth Bunnings and pharmacy giant Chemist Warehouse recently expanded their pet category.

Meanwhile, Coles just launched a pet specialty website.

This diversification by large retailers into various sectors became a growing concern for small business owners, who fear they may not be able to sustain their businesses longer.

The Senate inquiry, initiated by Nationals Senator Ross Cadell, aimed to scrutinise the practices of big retailers.

Other allegations included that the Wesfarmers-owned Bunnings has been treating its plant suppliers poorly.

Some suppliers allegedly reported that they were forced into giving discounts or not committing to minimum order requirements.

The inquiry's terms of reference could also encompass other major brands like Mitre 10, Dan Murphy's, and IKEA.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has already expressed its concerns about the consolidation of market power, particularly in the pet retail space.

The ACCC has submitted to the inquiry and highlighted its limited power to control mergers, even where particular market share or capitalisation levels are met.

In response, the federal government proposed new laws that would require major merger and acquisition proposals to seek approval from the competition regulator.

Suppliers started feeling pressure from the aforementioned retail giants, with many fearing retribution if they spoke out.

ACCC Chair Gina Cass-Gottlieb noted that similar concerns extend beyond pet retail—from medical to liquor store acquisitions.

The inquiry should also examine the rise of exclusive brands, which could lock customers into purchasing from a single retailer and make it difficult for independent stores to compete.

Bunnings was 'surprised' by the allegations and reiterated that they allow suppliers to voice their concerns.

According to the retailer's Managing Director, Michael Schneider, Bunnings continues their guarantee for the 'lowest price on any item, or it will beat a competitor on price by 10 per cent'.

However, Metcash, which operates Mitre 10 stores, raised Bunnings' exclusive arrangements with suppliers, which they claimed to be detrimental to smaller retailers and consumers.

While the inquiry could shed light on the practices of these large retailers, no one knows yet what policies or laws could change.

The federal Labor government ruled out some changes to powers that could break up retailers that have become too big and powerful.

However, the inquiry could still influence public opinion and bring about greater awareness of the challenges small businesses face.
Key Takeaways

• Independent pet store owners struggle to compete with big retailers such as Petbarn and Petstock due to their higher purchasing power and loyalty program discounts.
  • A Senate inquiry started scrutinising the market power of large retailers, including Bunnings, Petstock, IKEA and others. It looked into their impact on suppliers and smaller retailers.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) expressed its concerns about consolidation in the retail space and pushed for greater power in controlling mergers and acquisitions.
  • Retail giants like Bunnings and Metcash voiced their concerns about the allegations and raised other topics, such as supplier relations.
What do you think about this Senate inquiry? Do you think these retailers are bringing smaller, independent businesses down? Let us know your thoughts and insights in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I really don’t understand why anyone would open a small business when there are large business selling the same product cheaper. If the small business was there first, well I’m sorry for you ! BUT ordinary people will almost always go to the cheaper business. Especially if they are struggling.
I’ve been in this world 77 years I’ve always watched my spending, going to cheaper business’s allowed me regularly to put a small amount into a saving account. I wouldn’t have had that had I gone to smaller businesses.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I try and support the little guy but things are expensive enough atm so why would I not go somewhere else and save $25? You have to grab bargains/discounts where you can.

Reactions: Dynamo
So Naman Thakar is whinging about competitors undercutting his overinflated price on catfood by over $25? News for you dickhead! I wouldn't step inside your shop to buy ANYTHING!

Like ripoff restaurants and cafes. Charge over the top and you deserve to go out of business. Not one ounce of sympathy from me!
I wonder if perhaps the cheaper stuff is crappy imported Chinese rubbish & the stuff Thacker sells is Aussie product?

Reactions: Ezzy
I wonder if perhaps the cheaper stuff is crappy imported Chinese rubbish & the stuff Thacker sells is Aussie product?
From the SDC article:-

In Mr Thakar's shop, a 4kg bag of dried cat food could sell for $87.99.

However, the same item in Petbarn is available for $62.49 for the store's loyalty program members.

This should explain things for you. Regardless of the country of origin, it is the SAME item.

Reactions: DLHM
I do not miss much and this was not missed.

How does this Thakar tosser justify a 40% on top of what Petbarn charges for an identical item? Do you have an answer?

It's all about buying power. Buy in bulk and you get a lower per unit price. Have you ever shopped at Jaycar, the electronics retailer? You buy 1 - 5 items for $2.00 each, 6 - 10 items for $1.87 and 10+ for $1.72, for example. Same goes for manufacturer and retailer arrangements.
Aren't you shadow boxing with yourself?

You mentioned what you consider to be a 40% markup by Mr Thakkar as too much but then state that companies need to buy in bulk to keep the selling price down.

You acknowledged that this gent is a small business owner & does not have the same buying power as the larger companies mentioned & can therefore not offer a price cheaper than that which he has done.

Keep shadow boxing, perhaps you will find a way to knock yourself out with this story.

I don't shop at bunnings anyway, they are too full of themselves and also politically correct, I hate both of those attitudes in business.

these behemoths
I just can't understand the "give the little guy a go" mentality.

If Retailer A has an item for $50 and Small Guy A has the identical item for $65, why would you shop at Small Guy A? To save his business? At YOUR expense?

The only business to go broke is YOURS if you maintain that mindset!
because when the expensive guy goes broke, the cheap retailer jumps in and then dictates the new price..in the above example the new price $75 (not $65) forever