Self-checkouts in supermarkets – love or hate?

Is it the end of grocery store checkout operators?

Early last month, a Victorian shopper shared a photo of a self-checkout in Coles Braybrook on the social news website Reddit, noting the lack of checkout operators. Weeks later, camera technology added to Woolworths’ self-serve registers has made its rounds online. Aussies are also sharing their experience shopping in major supermarkets without assistance, including online communities Whirlpool and OzBargain.

It seems that automated checkouts are slowly becoming the norm rather than the exception. Aussies, however, are divided on the technology.

bfe1nu6k55l91.jpg
A Redditor from Victoria shared an unmanned checkout counter in Coles, Braybook. Credit: Robot_Graffiti/Reddit

‘I'd prefer to use self-checkout as I don't want to hold up the manned queue if I have multiple small value gift cards to use,’ one Aussie said.

Another found it preferable over long queues and unfriendly shop workers: ‘How on earth can anyone be upset about ALDI introducing self-checkouts? Shopping at my local ALDI stores is a nightmare, with the endless queues, and some of the surliest check out people in the whole of Australia. Self-checkouts would be a vast improvement.’

Some shoppers would rather keep to themselves: ‘I prefer them. Hate small talk. And it's way quicker.’ (Many people share the sentiment, but did you know that there are studies proving workers actually benefit from small talk? Increased productivity, better listening skills, and belongingness are just some of the advantages.)

Meanwhile, other customers see the benefit for retail workers who often have to deal with unpleasant customers: ‘I think there’s a whole other aspect people aren’t seeing: the amount that staff get abused. I’m noticing more and more staff are wearing safety cameras at Coles and Woolworths.’ The National Retail Association says that 88% of workers experience abuse from customers.

However, many others are not as thrilled.

One Aussie said: ‘Unless I have only one or two things to check out, I always go to a manned checkout. I will change when I get the 5% staff discount.’

Another felt the work is shifted to shoppers: ‘I don't get paid to work there so won't use them. The only people they benefit are the senior executives and their bonuses.’

Other Aussies are concerned about groups that will find it difficult to use the technology: ‘I'm sure we all like the convenience of self-checkout at times, but this is going to have a major negative impact on non-abled people of all descriptions, the elderly, non-English speakers, people unfamiliar with self-checkout and technology, etc.’

A response said there are more convenient ways for citizens that fall under these groups: ‘Shouldn’t the home delivery/pickup be better utilised amongst these citizens? And don’t say it’s the social outing aspect because we all know that they aren’t shopping during peak hours so they have the option for more in-store assistance if needed.’

An OzBargain member responded with a good point, however: ‘I think you underestimate how important independence in menial everyday tasks is to an individual's quality of life, particularly amongst those that are elderly or with a disability.’ Studies on the elderly found that those with reduced mobility tend to isolate, are more at risk for different diseases, and have a poorer quality of life.

Self-checkouts are not new. Both Coles and Woolworths have started using them in the last decade, although the pandemic made the technology more noticeable, owing to staff shortages. But concerns about the impact on seniors and disabled shoppers have also been voiced. There were even arguments about the ageist nature of self-serve checkout lanes that are typically designed for younger and able-bodied customers.

The BBC previously wrote about how automated checkouts could make senior shoppers feel even lonelier and more isolated than they already were.

In the UK, the Centre for Future Studies consultancy group found that 24% of older people were deterred from shopping by automated checkouts. Mario Ambrosi, the then-spokesperson of the British Royal Consortium, said: ‘The technology needs to have some human interaction, it's what gets people into the shops.’ He also pointed out that it could make older shoppers who do not shop online even more uncomfortable with in-store shopping.

Coles Braybrook clarified, however, that their staff is still available to assist. Speaking with 7NEWS.com.au, their spokesperson said: ‘We have installed Hybrid Assisted Checkouts at Coles Braybrook which allow Team Members to serve customers as required. Team Members are always available throughout our service area to serve and assist shoppers with their preferred checkout of choice.’

What do you think, folks? Do self-serve registers make you reconsider shopping in supermarkets that use them? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Sponsored

Early last month, a Victorian shopper shared a photo of a self-checkout in Coles Braybrook on the social news website Reddit, noting the lack of checkout operators. Weeks later, camera technology added to Woolworths’ self-serve registers has made its rounds online. Aussies are also sharing their experience shopping in major supermarkets without assistance, including online communities Whirlpool and OzBargain.

It seems that automated checkouts are slowly becoming the norm rather than the exception. Aussies, however, are divided on the technology.

View attachment 6797
A Redditor from Victoria shared an unmanned checkout counter in Coles, Braybook. Credit: Robot_Graffiti/Reddit

‘I'd prefer to use self-checkout as I don't want to hold up the manned queue if I have multiple small value gift cards to use,’ one Aussie said.

Another found it preferable over long queues and unfriendly shop workers: ‘How on earth can anyone be upset about ALDI introducing self-checkouts? Shopping at my local ALDI stores is a nightmare, with the endless queues, and some of the surliest check out people in the whole of Australia. Self-checkouts would be a vast improvement.’

Some shoppers would rather keep to themselves: ‘I prefer them. Hate small talk. And it's way quicker.’ (Many people share the sentiment, but did you know that there are studies proving workers actually benefit from small talk? Increased productivity, better listening skills, and belongingness are just some of the advantages.)

Meanwhile, other customers see the benefit for retail workers who often have to deal with unpleasant customers: ‘I think there’s a whole other aspect people aren’t seeing: the amount that staff get abused. I’m noticing more and more staff are wearing safety cameras at Coles and Woolworths.’ The National Retail Association says that 88% of workers experience abuse from customers.

One Aussie said: ‘Unless I have only one or two things to check out, I always go to a manned checkout. I will change when I get the 5% staff discount.’

Another felt the work is shifted to shoppers: ‘I don't get paid to work there so won't use them. The only people they benefit are the senior executives and their bonuses.’

Other Aussies are concerned about groups that will find it difficult to use the technology: ‘I'm sure we all like the convenience of self-checkout at times, but this is going to have a major negative impact on non-abled people of all descriptions, the elderly, non-English speakers, people unfamiliar with self-checkout and technology, etc.’

A response said there are more convenient ways for citizens that fall under these groups: ‘Shouldn’t the home delivery/pickup be better utilised amongst these citizens? And don’t say it’s the social outing aspect because we all know that they aren’t shopping during peak hours so they have the option for more in-store assistance if needed.’

An OzBargain member responded with a good point, however: ‘I think you underestimate how important independence in menial everyday tasks is to an individual's quality of life, particularly amongst those that are elderly or with a disability.’ Studies on the elderly found that those with reduced mobility tend to isolate, are more at risk for different diseases, and have a poorer quality of life.

Self-checkouts are not new. Both Coles and Woolworths have started using them in the last decade, although the pandemic made the technology more noticeable, owing to staff shortages. But concerns about the impact on seniors and disabled shoppers have also been voiced. There were even arguments about the ageist nature of self-serve checkout lanes that are typically designed for younger and able-bodied customers.

The BBC previously wrote about how automated checkouts could make senior shoppers feel even lonelier and more isolated than they already were.

In the UK, the Centre for Future Studies consultancy group found that 24% of older people were deterred from shopping by automated checkouts. Mario Ambrosi, the then-spokesperson of the British Royal Consortium, said: ‘The technology needs to have some human interaction, it's what gets people into the shops.’ He also pointed out that it could make older shoppers who do not shop online even more uncomfortable with in-store shopping.

Coles Braybrook clarified, however, that their staff is still available to assist. Speaking with 7NEWS.com.au, their spokesperson said: ‘We have installed Hybrid Assisted Checkouts at Coles Braybrook which allow Team Members to serve customers as required. Team Members are always available throughout our service area to serve and assist shoppers with their preferred checkout of choice.’

What do you think, folks? Do self-serve registers make you reconsider shopping in supermarkets that use them? We’d love to hear your thoughts!
I definitely prefer to have a person at the checkouts. I can't talk to a machine if there's a problem.
Amy.

View attachment 6797

When the Supermarkets give a 10% discount for doing their job I'll use them. Until then, I don't wish to take a job away from a needy person.

View attachment 6797

I am too slow, so more comfortable with help, but great for people in hurry.

Reactions: Ricci and MIZMAC
I prefer the self checkout if I only have a few items, 1/4 full trolley or a basket.
If I have a large shop I get direct to boot.
I refuse to go through checkouts as I loathe waiting in line and small talk

View attachment 6797

I definitely prefer assisted checkouts? I also like to say hello to the cashier but sometimes they’re not up to even saying hello and I get upset by that! 😞😞😞

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
I haven't been to the actual shops in over a year now and it's worked very well. I needed to save a chunk of money so started grocery shopping online, Not having to go to the shops meant I haven't been tempted to buy things other than absolute needs. I don't have to pass all the other shops with their goodies placed enticingly in the windows or on racks outside.
This all means when I do start back at the shops I'm sure I'm in for a hell of a culture shock. I hope my supermarket hasn't gone self-serve, I'd always choose manned checkouts if given a choice, I've spent this time having them do my job of shopping I'll be damned if I'm now going to start doing their jobs of ringing it all through the register!!:)

View attachment 6797

I will never use self-serve registers. Firstly, I'm not paid to do the work of a checkout operator. I didn't train for years for my chosen career to now be asked as a senior to retrain as a "checkout chick". The thought of using them freaks me right out. Plus, as someone who lives alone the little chat I have with the checkout operators is often the only conversation I have with a "live" person each week. Without this contact it could lead to more loneliness & possibly an increase in my depression.
For the suggestion that I use home delivery - that is not available in many country areas. Or, use Direct to Boot - what?? If I have to go to the shop then I want to choose my own goods.
I also shop the specials I find as I walk around the supermarket. These can give me a little treat for the week or help balance the longer-term budget by buying ahead of the day I actually need them.

View attachment 6797

Any supermarket with self serve is too difficult for my son, he does not read or write, he shops by the pictures on the products, so never buy home brands as they don't have pictures. He lives independently on his own and wants to be independent, he still goes into the bank to collections his money and manages quite well. If banks stop using manned tellers he will be in trouble as he can't read an ATM to access his money. He has a disability that prohibits him from learning the read and write. He can't use uter or smart phone

View attachment 6797

I don't like them, but there should be a choice, in my local Coles there is only self serve and so I am avoiding this shop

Personally I don't use self serve check outs, never have, never will. Jobs are hard enough to come by now so why in the hell are supermarkets doing away with one on one customer service. If my local supermarket switches to self serve only then I will boycott it and do my shopping elsewhere.

I hate self serve and avoid them. What I am noticing now is they are also getting rid of ‘Express’ lanes which force you to either wait behind someone with a large shop, or use the self serve. When I do use a manned lane I find most staff to be quite friendly and ready to help.

View attachment 6797

I don't want to see self serve checkouts at my ALDI! I hate them. Self serve checkouts give me a feeling feeling of being ignored by the staff.

I don't like them, but there should be a choice, in my local Coles there is only self serve and so I am avoiding this shop
That's what I do if there is no manned checkouts. Just don't go there. We need to bring back more corner stores.

Reactions: Ricci
I will use a manned checkout all the time if I can help it. I prefer to see people employed, than senior management awarding themselves Bonuses because they have found another way of saving more money by getting rid of more staff. Remember there are no discounts and prices don't come down because you do the supermarkets work for them. Check out work kept my Wife and Daughters employed when they were all at school. These days do any of these after school jobs exist? It also used to be a method of part time or full time employment for housewives as well. I wish I knew how to change the current trend unfortunately I really don't think the major grocery chains are interested in changing this because we are too dependent on them.

It's frustrating to have to wait in long lines when very few checkouts are open! Why have so many and not have them open? Even so, I will not use an unmanned checkout just out of principle!