SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Seesaw

Did you ever play on one of these? They were a part of every playground in the country back in the day. Simple, yet endlessly entertaining. Sure, there were the occasional splinters, but that didn’t stop Aussie kids from having a blast. Sadly, you won't find those seesaws around anymore due to safety concerns. Do you have fond memories of these seesaws?

nostalgia.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Reminiscing Thru the Ages

Most certainly have ridden on one of these at school. I have the scars, to prove it. Gosh, they were fun days. Looking at it now, I am horrified and would not let any young children on one of these. We were the era of superman, batman and any other good people.

Seesaw

Did you ever play on one of these? They were a part of every playground in the country back in the day. Simple, yet endlessly entertaining. Sure, there were the occasional splinters, but that didn’t stop Aussie kids from having a blast. Sadly, you won't find those seesaws around anymore due to safety concerns. Do you have fond memories of these seesaws?

View attachment 22279
Credits: Facebook/Reminiscing Thru the Ages

This was also common on school grounds in Singapore and Malaysia. Rode on one when I was about 8.

I got a bum full of splinters from one when I was a kid. It was located in the park alongside the grocery store. Mum went into the store and told me I could play in the park but not to go on the see-saw. But unfortunately, I did anyway, thinking she would never know. Afterwards, as punishment for disobeying, Mum humiliated me by taking me to my aunt's house nearby and getting the splinters out in front of the whole family.

Most certainly have ridden on one of these at school. I have the scars, to prove it. Gosh, they were fun days. Looking at it now, I am horrified and would not let any young children on one of these. We were the era of superman, batman and any other good people.
It's all about gadgets these days, unfortunately :(

I got a bum full of splinters from one when I was a kid. It was located in the park alongside the grocery store. Mum went into the store and told me I could play in the park but not to go on the see-saw. But unfortunately, I did anyway, thinking she would never know. Afterwards, as punishment for disobeying, Mum humiliated me by taking me to my aunt's house nearby and getting the splinters out in front of the whole family.
This was also common on school grounds in Singapore and Malaysia. Rode on one when I was about 8.
One is already a pain, but a bum full? Ouch! :D

I remember the bump when the other person got off without warning. In WA Jarrah was used to make them, so splinters weren't a problem, and they were polished smooth by all the little bottoms.
Today there are big round swings which rotate, with room for several riders, and I never miss the chance to have a go.

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
'We were the era of superman, batman and any other good people.' 👈 This! Oh, how I miss those days!

I remember the bump when the other person got off without warning. In WA Jarrah was used to make them, so splinters weren't a problem, and they were polished smooth by all the little bottoms.
Today there are big round swings which rotate, with room for several riders, and I never miss the chance to have a go.
Story of my life! I remember that one friend of mine got off the other end without a warning. I didn't talk to him for days! 😂

Unfortunately, I lived in WA and can testify by unfortunate personal experience that they were not always made of jarrah and not always shiny and smooth.

I remember all the spinters .

I remember the trust with the person on the other end that they wouldn't jump off.

I remember walking from one end to the other , I had great balance back then.

And those were the days filled with great memories