See why this 'foul' Woolworths delivery has shoppers up in arms

Do you ever check your deliveries for signs of contamination?

Now’s the time to start a routine check because a Woolworths customer recently spotted something so shocking on a piece of ham that it sparked an online debate.

The customer shared on social media a picture of the product, which showed a layer of sticky and slimy residue stuck between the top of the ham and a plastic bag.

SDC Images (14).png

A customer received ham with some sticky residue on their Woolworths online delivery. Image source: Reddit.

'Got this today from Woolworths delivery,' the customer explained.

'There was a lot more slime when we initially opened the pack.'

The customer also added that they had 'fished' the ham 'out of the bin' to take the photo.

Other users were quick to share their sentiments on the customer’s experience, with one saying: 'That's absolutely foul.'

'No meat should be slimy, that's a total write-off,' another said.

On the other hand, former deli workers explained that the gooey coverage is expected in packed smoked hams.

Moreover, Victorian chef Josh backed up deli workers, assuring people that the 'slime' was perfectly normal and was simply a glaze that was still edible.

'When you take the rind off, you get that coverage, and because it's a ham, it's been cured, so that's how it comes out,' Josh explained.

Woolworths also commented on the slimy substance, with a spokesperson for the supermarket giant saying: 'It is normal for smoked ham to have a degree of moisture on the outside of the product.'

'However, it is difficult to comment on this product without knowing where it came from and how long it may have been outside in the heat,' the spokesperson added.

'If the customer is concerned about the quality of the product, we encourage them to contact us directly so we can look into it and replace it for them.'

In other news, if you are one of Woolworths' long-standing customers of their Delivery Unlimited service, you might be affected by their recent alterations to the service.

First and foremost, the minimum spend for Woolworths delivery orders is set to increase from $50 to a steeper $75.

Another unwelcome surprise is that Delivery Unlimited subscribers will now be charged for bags with their orders.

Woolworths has cited rising fuel costs as the driving force behind these changes while somewhat ruefully reminding customers that the subscription cost itself was halved in 2021.

However, this explanation and silver lining have done little to soothe the indignation of many shoppers who've taken to social media to air their grievances.

You can read more about this news here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer expressed disgust over a piece of ham that had a slimy-looking substance on top.
  • The customer shared a picture of the product on social media, which he received from a Woolworths delivery.
  • However, former deli workers and a chef explained that the 'slime' is perfectly normal and is expected in the packaging of smoked hams.
  • Woolworths responded, stating that it is normal for smoked ham to have a degree of moisture on the outside. They also encouraged customers to contact them directly if they have any concerns about the quality of their product.
Have you experienced something similar with your smoked hams? Do you believe this is normal to see? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored

Now’s the time to start a routine check because a Woolworths customer recently spotted something so shocking on a piece of ham that it sparked an online debate.

The customer shared on social media a picture of the product, which showed a layer of sticky and slimy residue stuck between the top of the ham and a plastic bag.

View attachment 30463

A customer received ham with some sticky residue on their Woolworths online delivery. Image source: Reddit.

The customer also added that they had 'fished' the ham 'out of the bin' to take the photo.

Other users were quick to share their sentiments on the customer’s experience, with one saying: 'That's absolutely foul.'

On the other hand, former deli workers explained that the gooey coverage is expected in packed smoked hams.

Moreover, Victorian chef Josh backed up deli workers, assuring people that the 'slime' was perfectly normal and was simply a glaze that was still edible.

'When you take the rind off, you get that coverage, and because it's a ham, it's been cured, so that's how it comes out,' Josh explained.

Woolworths also commented on the slimy substance, with a spokesperson for the supermarket giant saying: 'It is normal for smoked ham to have a degree of moisture on the outside of the product.'

'However, it is difficult to comment on this product without knowing where it came from and how long it may have been outside in the heat,' the spokesperson added.

'If the customer is concerned about the quality of the product, we encourage them to contact us directly so we can look into it and replace it for them.'

In other news, if you are one of Woolworths' long-standing customers of their Delivery Unlimited service, you might be affected by their recent alterations to the service.

First and foremost, the minimum spend for Woolworths delivery orders is set to increase from $50 to a steeper $75.

Another unwelcome surprise is that Delivery Unlimited subscribers will now be charged for bags with their orders.

Woolworths has cited rising fuel costs as the driving force behind these changes while somewhat ruefully reminding customers that the subscription cost itself was halved in 2021.

However, this explanation and silver lining have done little to soothe the indignation of many shoppers who've taken to social media to air their grievances.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer expressed disgust over a piece of ham that had a slimy-looking substance on top.
  • The customer shared a picture of the product on social media, which he received from a Woolworths delivery.
  • However, former deli workers and a chef explained that the 'slime' is perfectly normal and is expected in the packaging of smoked hams.
  • Woolworths responded, stating that it is normal for smoked ham to have a degree of moisture on the outside. They also encouraged customers to contact them directly if they have any concerns about the quality of their product.
Have you experienced something similar with your smoked hams? Do you believe this is normal to see? Let us know in the comments below!
It’s normal been buying that since the year dot nothing wrong with it😁totally agree with woollies 👍I think it’s called brine😁

People have to realise that delivery costs are going to go up, look at the astronomical price of fuel.
I guess the only answer is to go back to doing your shopping yourself if you are not happy paying the delivery cost.
I would be happy to pay for the convenience, but living about 115kns from the nearest Woolies or Coles this is not an option .

LOTS OF ISSUES... I have used Woolies home delivery since Covid, but recently they have started using Partner Drivers, so any random Uber driver. We have instructions that our door bell must be rung. It has stopped happening and I've rung Woolies about it and they say they'll fix the problem because my groceries get destroyed by the sun on my porch. I'm hoping after the third call to them it is fixed. Granted Woolies refunded me the money for the destroyed goods. Another awful thing is my groceries turned up stinking of cigarette smoke. Plus they come out of some random person's boot, God only knows what's been in that boot?? Lastly, when I ordered a bottle of wine it was delivered but not without sighting my driver's licence, I'm 68, plus they have my date of birth on the records. I'm not handing over my driver's licence to some Uber guy or for that matter a Woolies truck driver with the amount of identity theft. The driver took the bottle back to the store - said you can't have it. So I buy direct from a store now.

Never buy meat at Woolies. Once bitten twice shy, bought a rolled roast, could not cut it after cooking, tough as old boots. Took it back, cooked and told butcher to try and cut it, let alone try and chew a piece. Offered me another roast, ah no thanks, give me my money back. Which they did. Hence, will never buy meat at Woolies again.

What a lot of crap those people who are saying it is normal I buy that specific ham all the time and have never seen that on the ham

That's it! I've had enough! I'm jumping onto social media to complain about the apples I bought yesterday.

They had SKIN on them! How dare they!
People just love to complain. I've lost
track of how much tough meat I've had over the years. A bit hard to expect stores to know whether it's tough or not. Makes no difference which store you go to.
I do my roast in the slow cooker and then brown it up in the oven, along with the vegies. Works a treat, haven't had a tough roast since I started doing this. If you don't have a slow cooker, just cook it longer on a lower heat, does the same thing.

View attachment 30463

Key Takeaways

Deli meat 🍖(sliced) out of Woolworths always seemed to go off very quickly when you got it out of the counter, so instead of getting it from the counter we ask to have it freshly sliced why we have been in there after the deli counter is closed and the meat's etc are covered so you don't know when it was cut or how long it's been sitting in there