Security expert shares different angles behind bad self-serve checkout photos

Have you ever glanced at a self-serve checkout screen and wondered if the camera was playing on your appearance?

You're not alone—many Australians have expressed their dismay at the 'unflattering' images captured by the security cameras at self-service checkouts in supermarkets.

Before you avoid self-serve checkouts altogether, let's unpack the truth behind these cameras.

Scott Taylor, a leading retail security expert and the Managing Director of Praesidium Risk and Resilience, has shed light on the situation.

'While these cameras may appear unflattering, their primary purpose isn't to make shoppers look bad,' he shared after questions about the unflattering camera shots spread online.

'They're positioned at different angles for optimal coverage and to deal with lighting challenges.'

compressed-selfserve.jpeg
Self-serve checkouts employ cameras to keep track of shopper behaviour. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Deman

He also mentioned that some facial recognition cameras 'must be placed at specific angles' to function correctly.

'While facial recognition cameras are currently under review, many retailers may be future-proofing their setups to account for their possible use,' he concluded.

Despite Taylor's reassurance, the self-serve camera's unflattering footage continues to be a hot topic on social media.

Shoppers shared their discomfort and self-consciousness upon seeing their distorted reflections on the checkout screens.

'Whenever I see myself in the self-serve cameras, I'm mortified by the person staring back at me,' one commented.

One shopper asked, 'Are these cameras unflattering for everyone else, or am I just genetically cursed?'

Some shoppers admitted to covering the camera with a sticker or receipt.

While this might give shoppers a momentary reprieve, it could be seen as suspicious behaviour.

Taylor emphasised that while cameras are a 'powerful deterrent' against theft—which rose by 20 per cent and cost Australian retailers around $9 billion a year—these are not the sole solution.

He advocates for well-trained staff who can proactively engage with customers as one of the best deterrents against shoplifting.

While we may not be able to escape the watchful eyes of self-serve checkout cameras, understanding their purpose and how to mitigate their unflattering effects can make our shopping experience a little more manageable.

The cameras are there for security, not to judge your looks.
Key Takeaways

• Security expert Scott Taylor addressed the theory that self-serve checkout cameras made shoppers look bad.
  • He explained that the camera placements were for optimal coverage and future-proofing of facial recognition technology.
  • The unflattering cameras at self-service checkouts sparked debate among shoppers online, with some suggesting it's a tactic to deter theft through psychological means.
  • Taylor explained that while cameras could serve as a deterrent to thieves, having well-trained staff on the ground should be a more effective measure against shoplifting.
Have you had any funny or embarrassing moments caught on self-serve checkout cameras? Do you have any tips or tricks for dealing with the cameras? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
For goodness sake, security cameras are everywhere. Every time you walk out your door you will probably be caught on someone's security camera. Ian must have his middle finger up all day.
What would be the reaction of other shoppers and retail staff if I walked down the aisles of Woolworths and Coles, taking happy snaps of everybody and everything with my mobile phone?

Am I doing anything wrong? Is the retailer doing anything wrong by taking my photo at a checkout? You would be horrified at the answer!

I have experienced first hand the "wrath" of an overzealous security goon in this respect. And the response by police was interesting!

I will leave you in suspense....

I just wont use them, give me a checkout chick any day, if we have to serve ourselves doing their job then pay us for doing it. And it wouldn't worry me if I do get my photo taken just smile for them.

Reactions: Scaveola
I was in Big W last week. They never have a manned checkout open. I had a bag with my water bottle in it. I put it in the bagging spot as I was going to place some clothes in I was buying. I got a voice saying there was an item in that spot so had to put it on the floor. Then one of my items had no bar code so an assistant had to find out its code and enter it. I paid and left. Later in another shop my bag set off beepers. The assistant said you may have something setting it off. I showed her the clothes and receipt. She wasn’t accusing me of stealing. When I got to the car I checked inside the bag. On a pack of underwear was one of those security tags. I hadn’t seen it and had to go back upstairs and walk a long way back to Big W to get it removed. I was so annoyed. If I’d been at a manned checkout they would’ve removed it. I’m a a bit disabled by chronic illness and was on my way to hospital for treatment. Luckily I still got there on time. I won’t use self serve at supermarkets as I hate unpacking and then packing everything and certainly wouldn’t do it for a large trolley full ! There’s not enough room to do it.