Secrets revealed! See these items purchased by thrifty mums that saved them BIG MONEY

Money-saving has become a serious matter amid the cost-of-living crisis. But with a newfound wealth of knowledge and tips being shared across various social media platforms, many thrifty mums are becoming increasingly savvy with their spending habits to save the most money.

Some clever mums have sparked an enlightening conversation around items they bought that save them the most money in the long run.

photo (6).jpg
Money-saving items were shared on social media for all those looking to cut back on their expenses. Image source: stefamerpik on Freepik.

With over 700 mums weighing in with their cost-cutting tips across food, cleaning, household expenses, beauty, and leisure, this treasure trove of information is simply too good to hold back. Let's delve into some of their top tips.

Bringing Value and Savings to Your Kitchen

The Thermomix appeared to be the darling of the group. Mums illustrated the long-term saving potential that stems from the initial investment in a do-it-all cooking appliance.

‘Been using mine for over eight years now, and the best decision I ever made,’ one mum shared.

‘I make everything from muffins, cakes, slices, dips, custards, yoghurts, and biscuits- sweet and savoury, wraps, pinwheels, breads, rolls, buns, LCM bars or muesli bars. Don't have to buy any snacks for the kids' lunchboxes.’

This versatile and multitasking gadget has allowed mums to concoct everything with just a few simple ingredients and cooking steps.

One mum agreed and said: 'I bought mine ages ago, but we make four kilos of yoghurt a week in it, which costs about $4.20 for just under two kilos (previously, we were buying Chobani at about $8/900g). We also make bread for less than $2 a loaf, or 12 large bread rolls or eight hotdog rolls for the same.'

'It stops you [from] buying stuff as you make it all from scratch–once you have all the staples in your pantry, it saves you so much! Also, it's a huge help in meal planning,' another mum agreed.

Another crowd favourite was the ever-popular air fryer. One mum explained, 'They save so much on energy. You can also make cheap “fakeaways” like fried food and chips etc.'

While another mum shared: 'I'd say my upright freezer. It means I can buy bulk on special. Found chicken breast for $5.50 a kg, for example, so I bought 10kg.'

Other people expressed their love for their coffee machines, with one saying: 'I have a Breville Cafe Barista which was about $650–but I've saved so much. I have two cups of coffee per day, so spending $8 to $9 a day was just ridiculous!'

Other items that were mentioned were a water filter jug, soda stream, ice machine, CRYOVAC sealer machine, $10 Sushi Making Kit from Kmart, slow cooker, and an electric grater/slicer/chopper.

One unusual purchase that a user swore by was live chickens! ‘They cost me next to nothing at all to keep, and we get between two and five eggs a day from our five chickens,’ they shared.

Managing Household Expenses and Keeping the House Clean

With regard to heating, the group had a few creative recommendations. For instance, one member suggested switching to an electric blanket, recounting that her winter bill was 40 per cent lower than the previous year, thanks to this switch.

One member advocated for electric cars and said: ‘Buying an electric car saves me so much fuel.’

‘I do 99 [per cent] of my charging at home, so pretty much free. I have gone from paying $150 per week in fuel to maybe during winter $4.80 for a charge at home.’

‘But most of the time, I charge from solar. There is an odd time where I'm away from home and pay like $15-$20 for the charge at a fast charger.’

Another mum advocated for solar panels and shared: ‘YES to solar panels! We got them on our new build two years ago now and still haven't had a bill! Biggest saver!’

The same mum shared her savings on expensive carpet steam services by buying the Bissell Carpet Cleaners.

‘It's about $220, but having a child and a dog and a cat, it's a no-brainer.’

‘You can also use it on fabric couches and mattresses,’ she added.

Another mum added: ‘Refillable cleaning products from Zero Co. Their subscription also ends up being super cheap.’

Secrets to Beauty and Health

At-home nail kits and hair clippers seem to be the secret to salon-like beauty without breaking the bank.

‘It's a small investment, but I can do my own nails from home,’ one woman shared. ‘I started during COVID, and I reckon I've saved at least $4,000 in three years by doing it myself.’

While another mum said: ‘Buy some hair clippers, I saved thousands on haircuts between my hubby and two sons.’

Meanwhile, switching to menstrual cups, home treadmills, and a set of weight sets offered another way of saving on health and wellness expenses.

Leisure, Fashion, and Travel Tips and Tricks

Leisure reading shouldn't be a luxury that drains your wallet, and a Kindle with a Kindle Unlimited subscription can give you huge savings.

‘Get a Kindle and use Kindle Unlimited. Saves so much instead of buying books, and you can read so many more now without buying them as you can get free ones. Kindle Unlimited gives you [tens of thousands] of books, and I think I pay $13 a month or something,’ one user shared.

Another advised investing in a massage gun to save on remedial and sports massages.

Moreover, clothing needn't be a cost nightmare either. The concept of a 'capsule wardrobe', where every piece goes with the other, was highly advocated, saving you from frequently purchasing new outfits.

Another mum shared: ‘Getting an Amazon yearly subscription.’ And highlighted the zero delivery fees, next-day delivery and access to Prime movies and music.

In terms of travel, one mum recommended buying a campervan for 'cheap and fun family holidays.'
Key Takeaways
  • Thrifty mums have shared the purchases that have saved them the most money across food, cleaning, household expenses, beauty, and leisure.
  • Appliances that have saved these mums some dollars include Thermomix, air fryers, upright freezers, coffee machines, and water filter jugs. One user even mentioned the financial benefits of owning live chickens.
  • Mums also discussed various ways to save on household expenses and cleaning products, such as solar panels, electric cars, refillable cleaning products and carpet steam services.
  • In terms of beauty, health, and leisure, purchases suggested included hair clippers, menstrual cups, home gym equipment, Kindle and ‘capsule wardrobes’.
Sharing is caring, dear members! What item at home do you believe has saved you big money and was worth every dollar? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricki
Sponsored
Money-saving has become a serious matter amid the cost-of-living crisis. But with a newfound wealth of knowledge and tips being shared across various social media platforms, many thrifty mums are becoming increasingly savvy with their spending habits to save the most money.

Some clever mums have sparked an enlightening conversation around items they bought that save them the most money in the long run.

View attachment 29137
Money-saving items were shared on social media for all those looking to cut back on their expenses. Image source: stefamerpik on Freepik.

With over 700 mums weighing in with their cost-cutting tips across food, cleaning, household expenses, beauty, and leisure, this treasure trove of information is simply too good to hold back. Let's delve into some of their top tips.

The Thermomix appeared to be the darling of the group. Mums illustrated the long-term saving potential that stems from the initial investment in a do-it-all cooking appliance.

‘Been using mine for over eight years now, and the best decision I ever made,’ one mum shared.

‘I make everything from muffins, cakes, slices, dips, custards, yoghurts, and biscuits- sweet and savoury, wraps, pinwheels, breads, rolls, buns, LCM bars or muesli bars. Don't have to buy any snacks for the kids' lunchboxes.’

This versatile and multitasking gadget has allowed mums to concoct everything with just a few simple ingredients and cooking steps.

One mum agreed and said: 'I bought mine ages ago, but we make four kilos of yoghurt a week in it, which costs about $4.20 for just under two kilos (previously, we were buying Chobani at about $8/900g). We also make bread for less than $2 a loaf, or 12 large bread rolls or eight hotdog rolls for the same.'

'It stops you [from] buying stuff as you make it all from scratch–once you have all the staples in your pantry, it saves you so much! Also, it's a huge help in meal planning,' another mum agreed.

Another crowd favourite was the ever-popular air fryer. One mum explained, 'They save so much on energy. You can also make cheap “fakeaways” like fried food and chips etc.'

While another mum shared: 'I'd say my upright freezer. It means I can buy bulk on special. Found chicken breast for $5.50 a kg, for example, so I bought 10kg.'

Other people expressed their love for their coffee machines, with one saying: 'I have a Breville Cafe Barista which was about $650–but I've saved so much. I have two cups of coffee per day, so spending $8 to $9 a day was just ridiculous!'

Other items that were mentioned were a water filter jug, soda stream, ice machine, CRYOVAC sealer machine, $10 Sushi Making Kit from Kmart, slow cooker, and an electric grater/slicer/chopper.

One unusual purchase that a user swore by was live chickens! ‘They cost me next to nothing at all to keep, and we get between two and five eggs a day from our five chickens,’ they shared.

With regard to heating, the group had a few creative recommendations. For instance, one member suggested switching to an electric blanket, recounting that her winter bill was 40 per cent lower than the previous year, thanks to this switch.

One member advocated for electric cars and said: ‘Buying an electric car saves me so much fuel.’

‘I do 99 [per cent] of my charging at home, so pretty much free. I have gone from paying $150 per week in fuel to maybe during winter $4.80 for a charge at home.’

‘But most of the time, I charge from solar. There is an odd time where I'm away from home and pay like $15-$20 for the charge at a fast charger.’

Another mum advocated for solar panels and shared: ‘YES to solar panels! We got them on our new build two years ago now and still haven't had a bill! Biggest saver!’

The same mum shared her savings on expensive carpet steam services by buying the Bissell Carpet Cleaners.

Another mum added: ‘Refillable cleaning products from Zero Co. Their subscription also ends up being super cheap.’

At-home nail kits and hair clippers seem to be the secret to salon-like beauty without breaking the bank.

‘It's a small investment, but I can do my own nails from home,’ one woman shared. ‘I started during COVID, and I reckon I've saved at least $4,000 in three years by doing it myself.’

While another mum said: ‘Buy some hair clippers, I saved thousands on haircuts between my hubby and two sons.’

Meanwhile, switching to menstrual cups, home treadmills, and a set of weight sets offered another way of saving on health and wellness expenses.

Leisure reading shouldn't be a luxury that drains your wallet, and a Kindle with a Kindle Unlimited subscription can give you huge savings.

‘Get a Kindle and use Kindle Unlimited. Saves so much instead of buying books, and you can read so many more now without buying them as you can get free ones. Kindle Unlimited gives you [tens of thousands] of books, and I think I pay $13 a month or something,’ one user shared.

Another advised investing in a massage gun to save on remedial and sports massages.

Moreover, clothing needn't be a cost nightmare either. The concept of a 'capsule wardrobe', where every piece goes with the other, was highly advocated, saving you from frequently purchasing new outfits.

Another mum shared: ‘Getting an Amazon yearly subscription.’ And highlighted the zero delivery fees, next-day delivery and access to Prime movies and music.

In terms of travel, one mum recommended buying a campervan for 'cheap and fun family holidays.'
Key Takeaways

• Thrifty mums have shared the purchases that have saved them the most money across food, cleaning, household expenses, beauty, and leisure.
  • Appliances that have saved these mums some dollars include Thermomix, air fryers, upright freezers, coffee machines, and water filter jugs. One user even mentioned the financial benefits of owning live chickens.
  • Mums also discussed various ways to save on household expenses and cleaning products, such as solar panels, electric cars, refillable cleaning products and carpet steam services.
  • In terms of beauty, health, and leisure, purchases suggested included hair clippers, menstrual cups, home gym equipment, Kindle and ‘capsule wardrobes’.
Sharing is caring, dear members! What item at home do you believe has saved you big money and was worth every dollar? Let us know in the comments below!
A good pair of hair scissors. After a snooty hairdresser wanted to charge me for a trim, shampoo, blow dry etc. (I had already shampooed my hair) I went home and have now been cutting my short hair and husband's for the last 20 years. I have saved thousands over all.

Reactions: Observer
A good pair of hair scissors. After a snooty hairdresser wanted to charge me for a trim, shampoo, blow dry etc. (I had already shampooed my hair) I went home and have now been cutting my short hair and husband's for the last 20 years. I have saved thousands over all.
Have been married for 53 years and cut my Husbands hair since then. He has never needed a barber. I cut my own too and he shapes the back.Must have saved a fortune over the years.

I have a head shaver/clipper. Every hair cut costs around $20 at the barbers and yet you can buy clippers for around $20 at Kmart or Target. Lost count how many cuts l have had now.

View attachment 29137

Key Takeaways

I agree with Kindle Unlimited through Amazon for $13.99 per month. I use the app on my tablet so you really need to buy an actual Kindle reader. I’m an avid reader, since childhood, and the cheapest I can buy an actual book is around $16 at Big W, KMart, etc, while using Kindle Unlimited I haven’t paid for a book for a couple of years now. You can also pay to read some books for usually around $3 - $6. So still a great saving.

I have been using hair clippers for more than 30 years to cut my husband's and son's hair. They must have saved a lot over the years

Reactions: Observer