Secret Gardening Trick: Discover the Surprising Plant That Keeps Mosquitoes Away

What if you could say goodbye to the days of slapping on oily insect repellents? Well, according to a savvy green-thumbed expert who revealed her seemingly magical method of keeping those pesky mozzies away, you might be able to!

Meet Melissa, known as Melissa Vines on social media. This vibrant lady spends her days knee-deep in soil, sharing her green wisdom with the world and revealing some interesting secrets of the horticultural world.

shutterstock_1579353460.jpg
Do you have Lemon balm in your garden? Image source: Shutterstock.

Melissa recently posted an intriguing social media video that stunned her followers. The humble Lemon balm, according to Melissa, is a 'super efficient mosquito repellent.' Yes, those tiny leaves can pack a real punch against those blood-sucking pests!

'A little trick I do when I'm outside, and the mozzies are biting is to stroll over to my Lemon balm patch and pick off a leaf or two,' Melissa shares in her video, as she gently caresses the plant's green leaves. Smiling, she continues, 'Then I rub them on me to keep those little blood-suckers away. Works every time!'

Many were full of praise for Melissa's chemical-free, all-natural mosquito defence. As one impressed fan said: 'This is awesome! Who knew? No more artificial repellents for me.'

Another exclaimed: 'Relief at last! I always get eaten alive. Can't wait to try this.'

Some commented that Lemon balm was growing right under their noses but weren't aware of its mosquito-repellent properties. Others were excited to start growing their Lemon balm plants, encouraged by Melissa's revelation.

So, what makes Lemon balm such an effective mosquito repellent? According to Wilson’s Garden Centre, ‘Lemon balm contains high levels of a compound called citronellal, which gives it its lemony aroma and flavour that bugs find so unpleasant.’ Apparently, the smell of fresh lemon puts mosquitoes off their dinner, or in other words, us!

And here's the part garden lovers will adore: Lemon balm is one of the easiest plants to grow. All you need to do is plant the seeds in soil and water it consistently.

Once established, the plant provides an effective means of warding off mosquitoes and a lovely lemony scent for your garden. Plus, if you're feeling crafty, you can make your own repellent spray by combining Lemon balm leaves and water. Talk about a win-win situation!

Key Takeaways
  • A gardening expert named Melissa revealed Lemon balm as a super effective mosquito repellent.
  • She suggests rubbing the leaves of the Lemon balm plant onto your skin to keep mosquitoes away.
  • Viewers expressed their appreciation for the tip in the comment section, with many revealing that they will now use this hack while gardening.
  • Lemon balm contains high levels of citronellal, a compound which bugs like mosquitoes find unpleasant..

And it turns out, Lemon balm isn't alone in its fight against mozzies. Other herbal repellents include rosemary, basil, and citronella. Add these plants to your green arsenal, and you'll have a veritable fortress against those mosquito marauders.

So next time you're perusing the aisles of your local nursery, consider purchasing some Lemon balm seeds. Imagine sipping your cuppa or having a beverage in the garden during the summer months without the constant maddening high pitch of mosquito harmonies?

Did you know Lemon balm was an effective mozzie repellent? Or maybe you know another plant or herb that does just as good a job? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have citronella geraniums all around my house in areas where we sit outside, as soon as I hear the buzz I break off a leaf and rub it over exposed skin.

Reactions: Jennylolo
I just saw your post and couldn't resist joining in on the conversation. I'm fairly new to this forum, but I wanted to share something useful with you. Have you ever heard of creeping thyme? It's this awesome plant that not only looks great in your garden but also keeps those annoying mosquitoes away. I'm also curious if anyone else has found other plants or herbs that work just as well. Can't wait to hear your thoughts

Last edited: