SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #79 - 13/08/2023

Question 1: Which comic strip character is known for saying "good grief"?

Charlie Brown is the central character of the comic strip "Peanuts," created by Charles M. Schulz. "Good grief" is his catchphrase, often uttered in response to the various challenges and setbacks he faces in his daily life. The comic strip debuted in 1950 and ran until Schulz's death in 2000, making it one of the most successful and long-running comic strips in history.

Question 2: Why does the ozone layer protect us from harmful UV radiation?

The ozone layer is a region of the Earth's stratosphere containing high concentrations of ozone (O3). It plays a crucial role in absorbing the majority of the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which can cause skin cancer, cataracts, and harm marine life. The depletion of the ozone layer due to human-made chemicals has led to an increase in UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface, which is a cause for concern.

Question 3: Which country has the most official languages?

South Africa boasts 11 official languages, making it the country with the most official languages in the world. These languages include Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, and Zulu. The country's diverse linguistic landscape reflects its rich cultural heritage and history.

Question 4: Where is the world's largest stock exchange located?

The largest stock exchange in the world, in terms of market capitalization, is the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) located in New York City, USA. Founded in 1792, it boasts a market capitalization of over $25 trillion, with many of the world's largest companies listed on the NYSE for trading.

Question 5: The Baha'i faith originated in which country?

The Baha'i faith was founded by Bahá'u'lláh in the mid-19th century in Persia, which is now modern-day Iran. The religion emphasizes the spiritual unity of all humankind and has an estimated 5 to 7 million adherents worldwide.

Question 6: What is the smallest country in the world by land area?

Vatican City, officially known as Vatican City State, is the smallest country in the world, covering just 44 hectares (110 acres). This independent city-state is located within the city of Rome, Italy, and serves as the spiritual and administrative center of the Roman Catholic Church.

Question 7: When do male kangaroos typically develop their "pouch"?

Male kangaroos do not develop a pouch at any point in their lives, as it is a feature exclusive to female kangaroos. The pouch is used by the female to carry and nurse her joeys (baby kangaroos) until they are capable of surviving outside the pouch.

Question 8: What is the sum of the interior angles of a pentagon?

In a polygon, the sum of the interior angles can be calculated using the formula (n-2) x 180°, where n is the number of sides. In a pentagon, which has 5 sides, the sum would be (5-2) x 180°, which equals 540°.

Question 9: How did the ancient Egyptians primarily use papyrus?

The ancient Egyptians used papyrus, a thin paper-like material made from the pith of the papyrus plant, as a writing surface for documents, records, and literature. Papyrus sheets were often glued together to form long scrolls, making it a predecessor to modern paper.

Question 10: Why did The Beatles stop touring in 1966?

The Beatles decided to stop touring in 1966 after completing their last live concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. They chose to focus on their studio work, aiming for greater artistic freedom and experimentation in their music. This led to the creation of iconic albums like 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' and 'The White Album'.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #79
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Question 5 I thought it was a religion of a very similar name which is Indian .

Question 10 I really thought the Beatles stopped live performances due to exhaustion which is health

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #79
Question 3: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩

India has 22 official languages. Beatles actually stopped because they were exhausted!

Question 5 I thought it was a religion of a very similar name which is Indian .

Question 10 I really thought the Beatles stopped live performances due to exhaustion which is health

I thought the same about Beatles

India has 22 official languages. Beatles actually stopped because they were exhausted!
agree re Beatles

8/10.
Got caught with Offical languages. I didn't pick up on "official" and went with most. Like others Beatles stopped due to exhaustion.

SDC Trivia Game #79 - 13/08/2023

Question 1: Which comic strip character is known for saying "good grief"?

Charlie Brown is the central character of the comic strip "Peanuts," created by Charles M. Schulz. "Good grief" is his catchphrase, often uttered in response to the various challenges and setbacks he faces in his daily life. The comic strip debuted in 1950 and ran until Schulz's death in 2000, making it one of the most successful and long-running comic strips in history.

Question 2: Why does the ozone layer protect us from harmful UV radiation?

The ozone layer is a region of the Earth's stratosphere containing high concentrations of ozone (O3). It plays a crucial role in absorbing the majority of the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which can cause skin cancer, cataracts, and harm marine life. The depletion of the ozone layer due to human-made chemicals has led to an increase in UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface, which is a cause for concern.

Question 3: Which country has the most official languages?

South Africa boasts 11 official languages, making it the country with the most official languages in the world. These languages include Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, and Zulu. The country's diverse linguistic landscape reflects its rich cultural heritage and history.

Question 4: Where is the world's largest stock exchange located?

The largest stock exchange in the world, in terms of market capitalization, is the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) located in New York City, USA. Founded in 1792, it boasts a market capitalization of over $25 trillion, with many of the world's largest companies listed on the NYSE for trading.

Question 5: The Baha'i faith originated in which country?

The Baha'i faith was founded by Bahá'u'lláh in the mid-19th century in Persia, which is now modern-day Iran. The religion emphasizes the spiritual unity of all humankind and has an estimated 5 to 7 million adherents worldwide.

Question 6: What is the smallest country in the world by land area?

Vatican City, officially known as Vatican City State, is the smallest country in the world, covering just 44 hectares (110 acres). This independent city-state is located within the city of Rome, Italy, and serves as the spiritual and administrative center of the Roman Catholic Church.

Question 7: When do male kangaroos typically develop their "pouch"?

Male kangaroos do not develop a pouch at any point in their lives, as it is a feature exclusive to female kangaroos. The pouch is used by the female to carry and nurse her joeys (baby kangaroos) until they are capable of surviving outside the pouch.

Question 8: What is the sum of the interior angles of a pentagon?

In a polygon, the sum of the interior angles can be calculated using the formula (n-2) x 180°, where n is the number of sides. In a pentagon, which has 5 sides, the sum would be (5-2) x 180°, which equals 540°.

Question 9: How did the ancient Egyptians primarily use papyrus?

The ancient Egyptians used papyrus, a thin paper-like material made from the pith of the papyrus plant, as a writing surface for documents, records, and literature. Papyrus sheets were often glued together to form long scrolls, making it a predecessor to modern paper.

Question 10: Why did The Beatles stop touring in 1966?

The Beatles decided to stop touring in 1966 after completing their last live concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. They chose to focus on their studio work, aiming for greater artistic freedom and experimentation in their music. This led to the creation of iconic albums like 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' and 'The White Album'.

You got answers correct
8 out of 10, one of my better results, thanks

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #79
Question 2: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Big Al Melbourne

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #79
Question 2: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥

There would have been a big problem if I'd got the first question wrong as I'm a HUGE fan of Peanuts, Snoopy in particular (hence my avatar).
I was always under the impression that the Beatles stopped touring because of exhaustion so that's why I chose health.

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #79

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #79
Congratulations very well done. I have yet to achieve this though I always beat my husband at Jeopardy (not with a broom stick!).