SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #77 - 11/08/2023

Question 1: Which European country hosts an annual snake charming festival?

The town of Cocullo in Italy's Abruzzo region hosts the annual Festa dei Serpari, which honours San Domenico di Sora for ridding the town of snakes in farmers' fields, according to legend. It is held every May 1. Some accounts also say the festival comes from the worship of an ancient Roman goddess of snakes.

Question 2: How much of the Earth's surface is covered by water?

71% of the Earth's surface is covered by water, with the oceans making up about 96.5% of the total water on Earth. The oceans, seas, and lakes all make up this significant amount of Earth's surface.

Question 3: In what sport do the contestants throw salt before the match?

Sumo wrestling is a Japanese sport that follows traditional rituals, including throwing salt into the ring and even stomping their feet on the ground before the match starts. They believe that these practices drive away evil spirits and signify purity.

Question 4: In which country can you find the largest and oldest known impact crater on Earth?

The Vredefort impact crater in South Africa is to date the oldest known site of an asteroid hitting the planet. Updated estimates say the asteroid, which hit Earth around 2.5 billion years ago, was at least 20 kilometres long. This makes it about twice the size of the asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs.

Question 5: Which part of the eye changes shape in LASIK surgery?

In LASIK surgery, the shape of the cornea is permanently changed by a special type of laser that enhances its focusing power. It’s usually performed to improve a patient’s vision and reduce their need for glasses or contact lenses.

Question 6: Which country is called the 'Goat Racing Capital' of the world?

The island of Tobago in the Caribbean country of Trinidad and Tobago is the world's goat racing capital. It is said that the tradition, which started in 1925, is held annually on Easter Tuesday in the island nation. Goats are made to race along 75 or 100-metre tracks while their jockeys spur them on with sticks and ropes. The humble event has become a major tourist draw for Trinidad and Tobago, which has even built infrastructure worth millions of dollars to support the race.

Question 7: Which cell in the body has no nucleus?

Red blood cells have no nucleus! Prior to reaching maturity, red blood cells eject their nuclei in a process called enucleation. This allows the mature red blood cell to carry more oxygen and squeeze through narrow capillaries that it otherwise wouldn't have been able to cross.

Question 8: When was Taylor Swift's first single officially released?

Taylor Swift’s debut single, ‘Tim McGraw’, was released on June 19, 2006.

Question 9: A 'bloat' refers to a group of what animal?

A group of hippopotamuses can either be called a pod, herd, or bloat! Yes, we’re also giggling. We all know that bloat means ‘to become swollen with fluid or gas’, so it’s safe to say that these semi-aquatic mammals with barrel-shaped bodies were aptly named.

Question 10: How do you say ‘hello’ in Spanish?

Hola is a Spanish greeting word, meaning ‘hello’, ‘hi’, or ‘good day’. It’s one of the most common Spanish words used around the world.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Gidday robbie
I'm not a Taylor Swift fan and guessed two other correctly

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #77
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Bullwinkle
90% today….a few very lucky guesses that paid off!!! Unfortunately #6 was not one of them

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #77
Question 5: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #77
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
The questions were hard today.

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #77
Question 2: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥

Oh dear, I'm still laughing and trying to pick myself up off the floor. No clue today!!!

Reactions: Suepermunn
Question 7: 🟥

Oh dear, I'm still laughing and trying to pick myself up off the floor. No clue today!!!
Same

Reactions: SeniorSnoopy
Question 3: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
The brain is M.I.A. today..

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #77

SDC Trivia Game #77 - 11/08/2023

Question 1: Which European country hosts an annual snake charming festival?

The town of Cocullo in Italy's Abruzzo region hosts the annual Festa dei Serpari, which honours San Domenico di Sora for ridding the town of snakes in farmers' fields, according to legend. It is held every May 1. Some accounts also say the festival comes from the worship of an ancient Roman goddess of snakes.

Question 2: How much of the Earth's surface is covered by water?

71% of the Earth's surface is covered by water, with the oceans making up about 96.5% of the total water on Earth. The oceans, seas, and lakes all make up this significant amount of Earth's surface.

Question 3: In what sport do the contestants throw salt before the match?

Sumo wrestling is a Japanese sport that follows traditional rituals, including throwing salt into the ring and even stomping their feet on the ground before the match starts. They believe that these practices drive away evil spirits and signify purity.

Question 4: In which country can you find the largest and oldest known impact crater on Earth?

The Vredefort impact crater in South Africa is to date the oldest known site of an asteroid hitting the planet. Updated estimates say the asteroid, which hit Earth around 2.5 billion years ago, was at least 20 kilometres long. This makes it about twice the size of the asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs.

Question 5: Which part of the eye changes shape in LASIK surgery?

In LASIK surgery, the shape of the cornea is permanently changed by a special type of laser that enhances its focusing power. It’s usually performed to improve a patient’s vision and reduce their need for glasses or contact lenses.

Question 6: Which country is called the 'Goat Racing Capital' of the world?

The island of Tobago in the Caribbean country of Trinidad and Tobago is the world's goat racing capital. It is said that the tradition, which started in 1925, is held annually on Easter Tuesday in the island nation. Goats are made to race along 75 or 100-metre tracks while their jockeys spur them on with sticks and ropes. The humble event has become a major tourist draw for Trinidad and Tobago, which has even built infrastructure worth millions of dollars to support the race.

Question 7: Which cell in the body has no nucleus?

Red blood cells have no nucleus! Prior to reaching maturity, red blood cells eject their nuclei in a process called enucleation. This allows the mature red blood cell to carry more oxygen and squeeze through narrow capillaries that it otherwise wouldn't have been able to cross.

Question 8: When was Taylor Swift's first single officially released?

Taylor Swift’s debut single, ‘Tim McGraw’, was released on June 19, 2006.

Question 9: A 'bloat' refers to a group of what animal?

A group of hippopotamuses can either be called a pod, herd, or bloat! Yes, we’re also giggling. We all know that bloat means ‘to become swollen with fluid or gas’, so it’s safe to say that these semi-aquatic mammals with barrel-shaped bodies were aptly named.

Question 10: How do you say ‘hello’ in Spanish?

Hola is a Spanish greeting word, meaning ‘hello’, ‘hi’, or ‘good day’. It’s one of the most common Spanish words used around the world.

You got answers correct
great day i got 10/10 whoo

6/10 - “I got by with a little help from a friend” (my husband) and I’m honest about my results.