SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #72 - 06/08/2023

Question 1: What is the name of the brightest star in the night sky?

Also known as ‘Dog Star’, Sirius is the brightest star in Earth’s night sky. According to NASA, it is over 20 times brighter than our sun and twice as massive, even though it may not appear that way to the naked eye.

Question 2: What is the largest moon in the solar system?

Jupiter’s icy moon Ganymede is the largest moon in our solar system, even bigger than Mercury and Pluto.

Question 3: What is the smallest known species of shark in the world?

The Dwarf Lantern Shark is the smallest shark species recorded, with adult males reaching only 6.3 inches and adult females reaching only 7.4 inches in length. This shark has light-emitting organs called photophores, which help them catch prey in the darkness of the abyssal sea.

Question 4: What is a tanager?

A tanager is a bird that belongs to the family Thraupidae, which is found mainly in the Americas. Tanagers are known for their brightly coloured plumage; reds, yellows, greens, blues, and black in solid colours are common and are sometimes arranged in striking patterns.

Question 5: Which museum is home to the oldest surviving piano?

The world’s oldest surviving piano sits in the Metropolitan Museum of Arts (MET), New York City. Dating from 1720, it was among the earliest creations of Bartolomeo Cristofori, who is also known as the inventor of the musical instrument.

Question 6: What do you call the alignment of heavenly bodies in the solar system?

The Oxford Reference defines syzygy as the 'situation that occurs when the Sun, the Moon (or a planet), and the Earth are in a straight line'.

Question 7: What type of garment is 'Elephant bells'?

Elephant bells were extremely popular in the 70s. This type of pants had a very distinct wide and flared design right below the knee, often drooping over the wearer’s shoes.

Question 8: In the 1964 movie 'Mary Poppins' starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, what is the name of Miss Lark’s pet dog?

Andrew is the name of the dog, who Mary Poppins could also understand through her strange magic!

Question 9: A 'singultus' is more popularly known as what?

Hiccups! In Latin, 'singult' means 'to catch one's breath while sobbing'. While normally, hiccups don't last long, they've been known to last more than a month, in certain cases.

Question 10: Which car company takes its name from the Japanese word for the constellation Pleiades?

Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster M45, or the ‘Seven Sisters’, one of which is invisible according to Japanese tradition, which in turn inspires the logo and alludes to the companies that merged to create Fuji Heavy Industries.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #72
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

I did guess two

Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥

still my best result

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #72

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #72
Question 2: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

Also known as ‘Dog Star’, Sirius is the brightest star in Earth’s night sky. According to NASA, it is over 20 times brighter than our sun and twice as massive, even though it may not appear that way to the naked eye.

Jupiter’s icy moon Ganymede is the largest moon in our solar system, even bigger than Mercury and Pluto.

The Dwarf Lantern Shark is the smallest shark species recorded, with adult males reaching only 6.3 inches and adult females reaching only 7.4 inches in length. This shark has light-emitting organs called photophores, which help them catch prey in the darkness of the abyssal sea.

A tanager is a bird that belongs to the family Thraupidae, which is found mainly in the Americas. Tanagers are known for their brightly coloured plumage; reds, yellows, greens, blues, and black in solid colours are common and are sometimes arranged in striking patterns.

The world’s oldest surviving piano sits in the Metropolitan Museum of Arts (MET), New York City. Dating from 1720, it was among the earliest creations of Bartolomeo Cristofori, who is also known as the inventor of the musical instrument.

Question 6: What do you call the alignment of heavenly bodies in the solar system?

The Oxford Reference defines syzygy as the 'situation that occurs when the Sun, the Moon (or a planet), and the Earth are in a straight line'.

Elephant bells were extremely popular in the 70s. This type of pants had a very distinct wide and flared design right below the knee, often drooping over the wearer’s shoes.

Question 8: In the 1964 movie 'Mary Poppins' starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, what is the name of Miss Lark’s pet dog?

Andrew is the name of the dog, who Mary Poppins could also understand through her strange magic!

Hiccups! In Latin, 'singult' means 'to catch one's breath while sobbing'. While normally, hiccups don't last long, they've been known to last more than a month, in certain cases.

Question 10: Which car company takes its name from the Japanese word for the constellation Pleiades?

Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster M45, or the ‘Seven Sisters’, one of which is invisible according to Japanese tradition, which in turn inspires the logo and alludes to the companies that merged to create Fuji Heavy Industries.

You got answers correct
I went with A for the questions i not sure of - good guess this time I usually go with D

You got answers correct
And I thought I was reasonably good at trivia..

Reactions: Wandiwa
90% today…got #7 wrong I thought those pants were called bell bottoms.
There’s always tomorrow, to improve!!

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #72
Question 3: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥

Question 4 was a guess.

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #72
Question 2: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
If we put our right answers together we could get nearly 100% :))

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #72