SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #59 - 23/07/2023

Question 1: What was the first Australian television show to be produced in color?

The Don Lane Show was a variety show that premiered in 1975. It was the first Australian television show produced in color and helped usher in the era of color television in the country.

Question 2: How many years were the infamous Australian bushrangers, Ned Kelly and his gang, active for?

Ned Kelly and his gang were active between 1878 and 1880. The gang gained notoriety for violent confrontations with local police, and Ned Kelly is often remembered for the homemade armor he wore during a final standoff with police at the siege of Glenrowan.

Question 3: In which year did the first human land on the moon?

The first human lunar landing, known as Apollo 11, took place on July 20, 1969, with astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who spent about two hours on the moon's surface.

Question 4: Which number is represented by the Roman numeral 'L'?

Roman numerals use a combination of the alphabet's letters (I, V, X, L, C, D, and M) to represent numbers. 'L' specifically represents the number 50.

Question 5: Australians celebrate Christmas during which season?

In Australia, Christmas falls during the summer season due to its location in the Southern Hemisphere. This often results in Australians enjoying outdoor activities and beach gatherings during the festive season.

Question 6: Which country did Australia fight against in the Battle of Long Tan during the Vietnam War?

The Battle of Long Tan took place on August 18, 1966, between Australian forces and the North Vietnamese Army. It was one of the fiercest battles involving Australian troops during the Vietnam War with 18 Australians and at least 245 North Vietnamese soldiers killed.

Question 7: The Melbourne Cup, a famous Australian horse race, is also known as what?

The Melbourne Cup is an annual horse racing event held since 1861. It's a 3,200-meter race for three-year-olds and over, usually held on the first Tuesday in November at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne, Australia.

Question 8: What was the first computer to defeat a human chess grandmaster?

Deep Blue defeated World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov in 1997, marking a significant milestone in artificial intelligence development.

Question 9: If a man is wearing a "trilby," what type of clothing item is he wearing?

A trilby is a type of hat characterized by its narrow brim and indented crown. It was named after the heroine in George du Maurier's 1894 novel, "Trilby."

Question 10: Why did Captain Cook name the east coast of Australia "New South Wales"?

Captain James Cook named the region New South Wales in 1770 because the coast reminded him of the region in the United Kingdom known as South Wales.

You got answers correct

I thought Skippy was made in colour first but I know the actual first show to be made in colour was Aunty Jack , funny that was a question asked in our Trivia Game last night .

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #59
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Justme49
I thought Skippy was made in colour first but I know the actual first show to be made in colour was Aunty Jack , funny that was a question asked in our Trivia Game last night .

Question 8: 🟥
And I thought it was a football match

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #59
Question 8: 🟩

Woo-hoo! Got Skippy wrong, but loved watching the Don Lane Show.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #59
Question 1: 🟩
Finally!

Question 2: 🟥

Reactions: Bullwinkle
SDC Trivia Game #59 - 23/07/2023

Question 1: What was the first Australian television show to be produced in color?

The Don Lane Show was a variety show that premiered in 1975. It was the first Australian television show produced in color and helped usher in the era of color television in the country.

Question 2: How many years were the infamous Australian bushrangers, Ned Kelly and his gang, active for?

Ned Kelly and his gang were active between 1878 and 1880. The gang gained notoriety for violent confrontations with local police, and Ned Kelly is often remembered for the homemade armor he wore during a final standoff with police at the siege of Glenrowan.

Question 3: In which year did the first human land on the moon?

The first human lunar landing, known as Apollo 11, took place on July 20, 1969, with astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who spent about two hours on the moon's surface.

Question 4: Which number is represented by the Roman numeral 'L'?

Roman numerals use a combination of the alphabet's letters (I, V, X, L, C, D, and M) to represent numbers. 'L' specifically represents the number 50.

Question 5: Australians celebrate Christmas during which season?

In Australia, Christmas falls during the summer season due to its location in the Southern Hemisphere. This often results in Australians enjoying outdoor activities and beach gatherings during the festive season.

Question 6: Which country did Australia fight against in the Battle of Long Tan during the Vietnam War?

The Battle of Long Tan took place on August 18, 1966, between Australian forces and the North Vietnamese Army. It was one of the fiercest battles involving Australian troops during the Vietnam War with 18 Australians and at least 245 North Vietnamese soldiers killed.

Question 7: The Melbourne Cup, a famous Australian horse race, is also known as what?

The Melbourne Cup is an annual horse racing event held since 1861. It's a 3,200-meter race for three-year-olds and over, usually held on the first Tuesday in November at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne, Australia.

Question 8: What was the first computer to defeat a human chess grandmaster?

Deep Blue defeated World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov in 1997, marking a significant milestone in artificial intelligence development.

Question 9: If a man is wearing a "trilby," what type of clothing item is he wearing?

A trilby is a type of hat characterized by its narrow brim and indented crown. It was named after the heroine in George du Maurier's 1894 novel, "Trilby."

Question 10: Why did Captain Cook name the east coast of Australia "New South Wales"?

Captain James Cook named the region New South Wales in 1770 because the coast reminded him of the region in the United Kingdom known as South Wales.

You got answers correct
I always though the first colour show in Aussie was ABC's Aunty Jack where they fought the introducation of colour in a funny way

10 out of 10 - first go!
I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #59
Question 1: 🟩

Reactions: pixiemoon

Knew Don Lane was in colour but thought skippy was first in colour...Doh...

The Aunty Jack Show
This special episode of The Aunty Jack Show, broadcast on 1 March 1975 two years after the series officially ended, was the first ABC program to contain a colour segment in its broadcast.
Veteran actor-producer John McCallum and filmmaker Lee Robinson created the children's adventure series Skippy the Bush Kangaroo which premiered in 1968 on the Nine Network. At a reported cost of A$6000 per episode it was said to have been the most expensive Australian TV series yet produced up to that time. Although Australian TV was still in black-and-white at the time, Skippy was filmed in colour with a view to overseas sales and it was the first Australian-made series to achieve significant international success, with sales to more than 80 countries worldwide,and it became the first Australian TV show to be widely screened in the USA.

Reactions: Kambul

The Aunty Jack Show
This special episode of The Aunty Jack Show, broadcast on 1 March 1975 two years after the series officially ended, was the first ABC program to contain a colour segment in its broadcast.
Veteran actor-producer John McCallum and filmmaker Lee Robinson created the children's adventure series Skippy the Bush Kangaroo which premiered in 1968 on the Nine Network. At a reported cost of A$6000 per episode it was said to have been the most expensive Australian TV series yet produced up to that time. Although Australian TV was still in black-and-white at the time, Skippy was filmed in colour with a view to overseas sales and it was the first Australian-made series to achieve significant international success, with sales to more than 80 countries worldwide,and it became the first Australian TV show to be widely screened in the USA.
Thanks Tygie,
I remember that Aunty Jack show, how it went from B&W to colour..
Yep thought Skippy was in colour, I must have watched re-runs when colour TV came in😂
Cheers