SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #47 - 11/07/2023

Question 1: How many official languages are spoken in South Africa?

South Africa's official languages include Afrikaans, English, Zulu, Xhosa, Swati, Ndebele, Southern Sotho, Northern Sotho, Tsonga, Tswana, and Venda. This linguistic diversity reflects the country's rich cultural heritage.

Question 2: The Ashes is a famous cricket series played between which two countries?

The Ashes is a historic cricket rivalry that dates back to 1882. The name "The Ashes" was derived from a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, after Australia's victory at The Oval in 1882, which stated that English cricket had died, and "the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia."

Question 3: What is the national bird emblem of Australia?

The emu is featured on the Australian coat of arms, along with the kangaroo—both of which are native animals exclusive to Australia. These two animals were chosen to symbolize a nation moving forward as both species are unable to walk backward.

Question 4: What is Australia's largest National Park?

Kakadu National Park is located in Australia's Northern Territory and spans over 7,646 square miles (19,804 square kilometers). It is home to diverse habitats and wildlife, including numerous bird species and Aboriginal rock art sites.

Question 5: What is the tallest bird species in the world?

Ostriches, native to Africa, can reach heights of up to 9 feet (2.7 meters) and are also the fastest land-birds, capable of reaching speeds of up to 45 miles per hour (72 kilometers per hour).

Question 6: When it comes to land area, what is the largest country in Oceania?

Australia is not only the largest country in Oceania but also the 6th largest country in the world, covering approximately 7.6 million square kilometers (2.9 million square miles).

Question 7: In Greek mythology, who is the ruler of the gods and the sky?

Zeus is the god of the sky, thunder, and lightning and is often portrayed with a lightning bolt. He is the brother of Poseidon and Hades, who rule over the sea and underworld, respectively.

Question 8: If you're planning to visit the iconic Ayers Rock in Australia, what is its Aboriginal name?

Uluru is a large sandstone rock formation in the Northern Territory of Australia. It is considered sacred to the Anangu, the Aboriginal people of the area. The area around the formation is managed by the Anangu and Parks Australia and is part of the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park.

Question 9: Who was the ruler of ancient Egypt during the construction of the Great Sphinx of Giza?

The Great Sphinx of Giza, built during the reign of Pharaoh Khafre (circa 2558-2532 BCE), is one of the world's oldest and largest monuments. It is believed to have been built as a guardian for the nearby Pyramid of Khafre.

Question 10: Who is credited with co-founding the worldwide web in 1989?

Sir Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist, invented the worldwide web in 1989 as a mechanism for sharing information through a global, interconnected network. The first website was launched in 1991.

You got answers correct

WOOHOO!!

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #47
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩