SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #459 - 27/08/2024

Question 1: Where was the ancient city of Petra located?

Petra, also known as the "Lost City," is an ancient city located in present-day Jordan. It was the capital of the Nabataean Kingdom, and its iconic rock-cut architecture and water conduit system made it a significant center for trade and commerce in ancient times.

Question 2: Who coined the term 'biodiversity'?

The term 'biodiversity' was first coined by Walter G. Rosen in 1985. It is a contraction of 'biological diversity' and refers to the variety and variability of life on Earth at all levels, from genes to ecosystems.

Question 3: Why is the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah celebrated?

Hanukkah commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem during the second century BCE, after the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire. According to legend, the Temple only had enough pure olive oil to keep the menorah's candles burning for a single day, but miraculously the flames continued flickering for eight nights.

Question 4: Where does the legendary character Robin Hood traditionally reside?

In English folklore, Robin Hood is an outlaw who, with his band of Merry Men, resides in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire. From there, he famously robs from the rich to give to the poor.

Question 5: Where was the hit TV series "Friends" set?

The popular sitcom "Friends" was set in New York City, with the characters living in apartments in Greenwich Village. The series ran for 10 seasons from 1994 to 2004 and became a cultural phenomenon.

Question 6: What ancient Greek philosopher is known for the statement, "I know that I know nothing"?

This famous paradoxical statement is attributed to Socrates, a foundational figure in Western philosophy. It encapsulates his method of questioning to stimulate critical thinking and draw out ideas, known as the Socratic method. The statement is thought to mean that the only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing.

Question 7: Why do astronauts experience weightlessness in space?

Astronauts experience weightlessness because they are in a constant state of free fall, causing no net gravitational force to act on them. Although there is gravity in space, the spacecraft and astronauts are falling at the same rate, giving the sensation of weightlessness.

Question 8: In the movie "The Sixth Sense", what is the famous line uttered by the character Cole Sear?

The line "I see dead people" is one of the most iconic quotes in cinematic history. It is spoken by the character Cole Sear, played by Haley Joel Osment, in the 1999 psychological thriller "The Sixth Sense". The line reveals the central twist of the movie - that Cole has the ability to see and communicate with ghosts.

Question 9: Why does Garfield the cat hate Mondays?

In the comic strip Garfield, the titular cat character often expresses his disdain for Mondays because he is lazy and doesn't want to get out of bed, not because of any external reason.

Question 10: Which actor portrayed the iconic character of James Bond in the most number of films?

Roger Moore played the role of James Bond in seven films from 1973 to 1985, making him the actor who has starred as 007 in the most number of official Bond films.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #459
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

My excuses for today!!
#9… no idea 😑
#10…not a fan of Bond…chose Daniel Craig because I think he is a bit of a “hottie”

Last edited:
Heck I've gone from 2 yesterday to 8 today.....something doesn't add up with that but I'm going to take it with avengeance anyway😂. Now I've got an average of 4 over the two days.....can't escape that damn number🤣.