SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #437 - 05/08/2024

Question 1: What is the name of the traditional Japanese art of paper folding?

Origami is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding, which started in the 6th century and was popularized outside of Japan in the mid-1900s. It has evolved into a modern art form encompassing a wide range of styles and techniques.

Question 2: Who was the first woman to serve as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom?

Margaret Thatcher, also known as the "Iron Lady", served as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990. She was the longest-serving British prime minister of the 20th century and the first woman to hold the office.

Question 3: How many Tony Awards did the musical 'Hamilton' win?

Hamilton was nominated for a record-breaking 16 Tony Awards in 2016, winning 11, including Best Musical. This made it one of the most awarded musicals in Tony history, just shy of The Producers' record of 12 wins.

Question 4: Why was the ancient city of Babylon important?

Babylon was the capital city of the ancient Babylonian Empire, which reached its height under the rule of King Nebuchadnezzar II in the 6th century BCE. The city was renowned for its impressive architecture, including the famous Hanging Gardens, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

Question 5: Where is the world's tallest brick minaret located?

The Qutub Minar, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a 73-meter tall tapering tower of five storeys, built in the early 13th century. It is the tallest brick minaret in the world, attracting visitors for its intricate exterior carvings and historical significance.

Question 6: Why does light travel slower in water than in air?

Light travels slower in water than in air because water is denser than air. When light enters a denser medium, it is refracted and slows down. The refractive index of water is about 1.33, while the refractive index of air is about 1.0003, which means light travels about 25% slower in water compared to air.

Question 7: How many acts are there in a typical full-length Shakespeare play?

Shakespeare's plays are typically divided into five acts, each consisting of several scenes. This structure was influenced by the classical Roman plays of Seneca. The five-act structure became the standard for English Renaissance drama.

Question 8: Where are a shrimp's heart and brain located?

Unlike humans, a shrimp's heart and brain are both located in its head. Its heart is located behind its eyes, while its brain is located between its eyes.

Question 9: How are tornadoes rated on the Enhanced Fujita scale?

The Enhanced Fujita (EF) scale rates tornadoes based on the damage they cause to structures and vegetation. Wind speed is estimated after the fact based on the level of damage observed. The scale ranges from EF0 (light damage) to EF5 (incredible damage).

Question 10: What novel by George Orwell depicts a dystopian future where a totalitarian government controls the population through mass surveillance and manipulation?

Nineteen Eighty-Four, often published as 1984, is a dystopian novel by George Orwell published in 1949. The novel is set in an imagined future, the year 1984, when much of the world has fallen victim to perpetual war, omnipresent government surveillance, historical negationism, and propaganda. Orwell modeled the totalitarian government in the novel after Stalinist Russia and Nazi Germany.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #437
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟩
Never second guess your first response if you're not sure ....I would have scored 9 if I'd listened to my " gut " !
If I listened to my gut, 🩺
would I be called "a silly ole fart" ???😼😼