SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #430 - 29/07/2024

Question 1: Which political party did U.S. President Grover Cleveland belong to?

Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States, and the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms. He was a member of the Democratic Party, which was one of the two dominant parties in the U.S. during his lifetime, along with the Republican Party.

Question 2: Who was the first person to reach the South Pole?

Roald Amundsen, a Norwegian explorer, was the first person to reach the South Pole on December 14, 1911. He led the Antarctic expedition of 1910-1912 and reached the pole 35 days before Robert Falcon Scott's ill-fated expedition.

Question 3: In Greek mythology, who flew too close to the sun with wings made of wax and feathers, causing the wax to melt?

In Greek mythology, Icarus and his father Daedalus attempted to escape from Crete using wings constructed from feathers and wax. Icarus ignored his father's warnings and flew too close to the sun, melting the wax. He fell into the sea and drowned, giving rise to the term "Icarus complex" for one who overestimates their ability.

Question 4: Which notorious gangster was known as 'Scarface'?

Al Capone, the infamous American gangster who operated during the Prohibition era, was nicknamed 'Scarface' due to the scars on his face from a knife attack when he was younger.

Question 5: What is the only mammal that can't jump?

Elephants are the only mammal that can't jump. Their massive weight (up to 6 tons) makes it impossible for them to get all four feet off the ground at the same time. Instead, they run by moving both right feet forward, followed by both left feet, resulting in a speed of up to 25 mph.

Question 6: If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, what color will it eventually turn?

Goldfish kept in the dark will eventually turn white due to the lack of pigment production. Pigment production in goldfish is stimulated by light, so without light, they will gradually lose their color.

Question 7: If CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) are released into the atmosphere, what negative impact can they have on the environment?

CFCs are known to deplete the ozone layer, which protects the Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation. When released into the atmosphere, CFCs break down ozone molecules, reducing the ozone layer's ability to shield the planet.

Question 8: Where is the Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is located at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) near Geneva, Switzerland. It is a 27-kilometer ring of superconducting magnets that accelerates particles close to the speed of light before colliding them, allowing scientists to study the fundamental properties of matter.

Question 9: Which instrument is often referred to as the "king of instruments"?

The pipe organ is often called the "king of instruments" due to its size, complexity, and the vast range of sounds it can produce. It is commonly used in churches and concert halls.

Question 10: If you were to "phone home," which movie character would you be emulating?

"E.T. phone home" is an iconic line from the 1982 Steven Spielberg film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, spoken by the titular character as he tries to contact his home planet. The line has become a popular catchphrase in pop culture.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #430
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩
Q 5, I don't know. {Never had one}
Happy with that score. 😺
I never had a hippo or an elephant either. Guessed wrong as well. 😸

Reactions: DLHM
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #430
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

#5 was an easy one for me as Elephants 🐘 are my favourite animals…..
I’m happy 😃 😃😃