SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #43 - 07/07/2023

Question 1: Which fashion trend in the 1960s is often associated with Mary Quant?

Mary Quant, a British fashion designer, is credited with popularizing the miniskirt in the 1960s. The trend quickly spread around the world and became a symbol of rebellious youth culture during that time.

Question 2: Why was the Australian TV show "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" canceled after 3 seasons?

Despite its international success, "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" was canceled after just 3 seasons, totaling 91 episodes, due to the withdrawal of financial sponsorship from the Australian subsidiary company of British Petroleum.

Question 3: In which Australian state were the Mungo Man and Mungo Lady remains discovered?

The Mungo Man and Mungo Lady remains were discovered in New South Wales in 1974 and 1969, respectively. They are some of the oldest human remains found in Australia, with Mungo Lady being around 40,000 years old and Mungo Man being around 42,000 years old.

Question 4: Why is the number '?' (pi) important in mathematics?

Pi (?) is an irrational number with an infinite decimal representation. It has been used throughout history for various mathematical and engineering applications involving circles and circular shapes.

Question 5: If you were to spread out your lungs flat, how large would their surface area be?

The lungs contain millions of tiny air sacs called alveoli, which are responsible for exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxide with your blood. When flattened out, all these little air sacs greatly expand the lungs' surface area, reaching around 70 square meters, or the size of a tennis court.

Question 6: In which year did the Australian television series "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" first air?

"Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" was a popular children's television show that ran from 1968 to 1970. It featured a young boy and his intelligent and highly skilled pet kangaroo, Skippy.

Question 7: How many time zones does Australia have across all its territories?

Australia has 8 time zones when you include its external territories. They are Australian Western Standard Time, Australian Central Standard Time, Australian Eastern Standard Time (which are the main three on the mainland), plus Australian Central Western Standard Time, Lord Howe Island Time, Norfolk Island Time, Australian Eastern Daylight Time, and Christmas Island Time.

Question 8: Who is the legendary Australian bushranger that has become a folk hero and symbol of defiance against authority?

Ned Kelly, born in 1854, was a notorious bushranger and outlaw in the late 1800s. His life and death provided the material for numerous works of art and literature, and he is often the person, who people think of when the term "bushranger" is mentioned.

Question 9: In which year was the first successful human heart transplant performed?

The first successful human heart transplant was performed by South African surgeon Christiaan Barnard in 1967. The patient, Louis Washkansky, survived for 18 days after the surgery.

Question 10: How many bytes are in a kilobyte?

A kilobyte is a unit of digital information and is equivalent to 1024 bytes. This is based on the binary system (base 2) used in computing, where each higher level of data storage is a multiple of the previous level.

You got answers correct

Reactions: cberk
I really thought we had two time zones and that there were 1000 bytes in a kilobyte 🤔
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #43
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

Reactions: Happy Thoughs
I’m failing again with just 5/10. School is getting closer once more.

I always thought we had only 3 time zones across mainland Australia but didn’t consider the territories and islands. And also thought 1000 bytes in a kilobyte. Lungs and Skippy got me along with Mungo Man.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTS and Justme49
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #43
Question 2: 🟩
there are only 3 time zones across Aust, and where did the extra 24 bytes come from???

Question 1: Which fashion trend in the 1960s is often associated with Mary Quant?

Mary Quant, a British fashion designer, is credited with popularizing the miniskirt in the 1960s. The trend quickly spread around the world and became a symbol of rebellious youth culture during that time.

Question 2: Why was the Australian TV show "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" canceled after 3 seasons?

Despite its international success, "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" was canceled after just 3 seasons, totaling 91 episodes, due to the withdrawal of financial sponsorship from the Australian subsidiary company of British Petroleum.

Question 3: In which Australian state were the Mungo Man and Mungo Lady remains discovered?

The Mungo Man and Mungo Lady remains were discovered in New South Wales in 1974 and 1969, respectively. They are some of the oldest human remains found in Australia, with Mungo Lady being around 40,000 years old and Mungo Man being around 42,000 years old.

Pi (?) is an irrational number with an infinite decimal representation. It has been used throughout history for various mathematical and engineering applications involving circles and circular shapes.

Question 5: If you were to spread out your lungs flat, how large would their surface area be?

The lungs contain millions of tiny air sacs called alveoli, which are responsible for exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxide with your blood. When flattened out, all these little air sacs greatly expand the lungs' surface area, reaching around 70 square meters, or the size of a tennis court.

Question 6: In which year did the Australian television series "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" first air?

"Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" was a popular children's television show that ran from 1968 to 1970. It featured a young boy and his intelligent and highly skilled pet kangaroo, Skippy.

Australia has 8 time zones when you include its external territories. They are Australian Western Standard Time, Australian Central Standard Time, Australian Eastern Standard Time (which are the main three on the mainland), plus Australian Central Western Standard Time, Lord Howe Island Time, Norfolk Island Time, Australian Eastern Daylight Time, and Christmas Island Time.

Question 8: Who is the legendary Australian bushranger that has become a folk hero and symbol of defiance against authority?

Ned Kelly, born in 1854, was a notorious bushranger and outlaw in the late 1800s. His life and death provided the material for numerous works of art and literature, and he is often the person, who people think of when the term "bushranger" is mentioned.

Question 9: In which year was the first successful human heart transplant performed?

The first successful human heart transplant was performed by South African surgeon Christiaan Barnard in 1967. The patient, Louis Washkansky, survived for 18 days after the surgery.

A kilobyte is a unit of digital information and is equivalent to 1024 bytes. This is based on the binary system (base 2) used in computing, where each higher level of data storage is a multiple of the previous level.

You got answers correct
I am getting lower scores. I agree with Catherine’s back to school soon. Have a fun day everyone.

Reactions: SusanCarver

You got answers correct
Not worth the bother today! I know nothing much today.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I got 3 out of 10 (30%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #43
Question 3: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Woeful today.
I've never known about production issues and dates are always a guess.

Reactions: Suepermunn
I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #43
Question 7: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

You got answers correct
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #43

I always thought we had only 3 time zones across mainland Australia but didn’t consider the territories and islands. And also thought 1000 bytes in a kilobyte. Lungs and Skippy got me along with Mungo Man.
agree and found on google after - it is considered 3- then its has also 6 and also a list of 8. Daylight savings also changes it. Depends who you want to follow as they have different criteria. I also got caught on bytes.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
RE: Skippy - Google had this answer :- Three series were made with a total of 91 episodes and production was wound up in September 1969. It was never intended to make more, partly because 91 episodes was considered enough, and partly because the child actor who played Sonny, Garry Pankhurst, was growing up.

RE: Time zones - i googled it after too and found this : Australia's mainland states and territories are divided into 5 standard time zones. As Western Australia, Queensland, and the Northern Territory don't use Daylight Saving Time (DST), there are only 3 corresponding DST time zones.

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #43

I got 3 out of 10 (30%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #43
Question 9: 🟥
Woeful today.
I've never known about production issues and dates are always a guess.
I only got a 3/10 too. Not much good at these trivia questions.

there are only 3 time zones across Aust, and where did the extra 24 bytes come from???
Andyroo, I’m with you on this one…they are the two I got wrong!!

80% today - but I too want to know where the extra time zones are and the extra 24 bytes!!

You got answers correct

I still think 1000 bytes

I still think there is 1000 bytes ina kilobyte. I just looked it up and it said there are 1028 bytes but round it off too the 1000 so technically it is 1000

I believe it is 1000 bytes to a kilobyte . There is 1028 bytes but they round it to the closest number which us 1000.

When I did computer class they taught 1000 bytes to a kilobyte.

Maybe then they should refund me for the course if it is 1028

Reactions: Wandiwa
If you look at the binary system then it is 1024. With the time zones - the question was actually “how many time zones does Australia have across ALL ITS TERRITORIES” so I guess the answer to that specific question is 8. Across mainland Australia it is just 3, and with daylight saving considered there are some states which do not follow DST; since DST was not part of the question many of us failed this one.